ISLAMABAD: A Nato cross-border air attack that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at the weekend could hurt cooperation on Afghanistan, Pakistan's army spokesman said on Monday.
“This could have serious consequences in the level and extent of our cooperation,” Major General Athar Abbas told Reuters.
The military also denied reports that Nato forces in Afghanistan came under fire before launching the attack.
“This is not true. They are making up excuses. What are their losses, casualties?” said Abbas in a text message.
A report, citing Afghan and western officials, had said that fire from a Pakistani military outpost into Afghanistan prompted the air strikes.
Abbas said Nato forces’ regret on the incident was not enough and said the incident could result in serious consequences.
He recalled that such activities had been carried out in the past, adding that he did not think these would be tolerated anymore.
Abbas said the top leadership would decide how to further take up the incident. — Reuters/DawnNews