Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Haqqani ready to face inquiry: Farahnaz

November 21, 2011

ISLAMABAD: Media Adviser to the President Farahnaz Ispahani, who is also the wife of Pakistan's Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani, on Monday defended her husband and said the pair is ready to face legal action pertaining to the memo controversy.

Ispahani said she and her husband want “an investigation” into the matter and were ready to cooperate in the forensic investigation of Husain Haqqani's blackberry phone and computer.

"Whatever guidance is given to us by our senior leadership, we will take it, but personally if the senior leadership allows us, we will go in for libel," she added.

She expressed these views while talking to the media outside the Supreme Court on Monday.

While raising doubts over the credibility of the Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz who claims that Haqqani asked him to deliver the memo to Adm Mike Mullen in May this year, she said that Haqqani was prepared to sue Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, who has claimed the memo was drafted and delivered on the envoy's instructions.

She described Ijaz as “a citizen of another country” whose allegations “make me believe he is working against Pakistan's democracy” and added, "He is a foreign national who is blaming us and attacking Pakistans democracy."

Turning down that the allegations were baseless, she said that they were not scared of the issue and were not fleeing Dubai or Washington, vowing that the pair is ready for Pakistani and American courts because they have nothing to hide.

Ijaz hit out at the ambassador on challenging the authenticity of the memo and ruled out any missing links in the authenticity chain, adding that he was a wealthy individual who handles his own investments and would sue anyone for slandering against him.

Local media reports implicated Haqqani in a memo allegedly sent from Zardari to Mullen, the United States top military officer, after the US raid that killed Osama bin Laden on May 2, sought American assistance to stave off a possible military coup.

The alleged memo, released last month by Ijaz, said that a new national security team in Pakistan    with US support    could end ties between Pakistani intelligence and militants.