KARACHI: The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard the suo motu case on the bloodshed in Karachi and subsequently adjourned the hearing to September 5, DawnNews reported.
During the hearing, Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry said that the province's chief minister was duty-bound to protect the people of Sindh.
Moreover, Sindh government’s counsel Abdul Hafeez Pirzada presented his arguments before the court.
He said that the security situation had improved since the court’s notice on the issue.
Furthermore, Mr Pirzada stated that the percentage of court convictions was very low and that police and Rangers were not being properly utilised.
Earlier on Monday, the apex court rejected the government’s report on targets killings in Karachi and asked the attorney general to place on record reports from intelligence agencies on investigation into the matter.
The report of the Federal Investigation Agency, Sindh police’s Special Branch and Intelligence Bureau on target killings was submitted by Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul Haq.
The bench expressed dissatisfaction over the report and observed that it did not have facts needed to make headway. Apart from the first three pages, the bench said, it contained newspaper reports without an analysis.
The case is being heard by a five-judge special bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry.
Dear visitor, the comments section is undergoing an overhaul and will return soon.