Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

A slapstick sitcom with all the right ingredients and mad moments, ‘Bulbulay’ is steadily gaining popularity and viewership. Starring Nabeel as himself, Hina Dilpazeer (Momo), Ayesha Omar (Khubsoorat) and Mehmood Aslam (Mehmood Sahab). After a long time, viewers are treated to a comedy on television that is actually funny, with a major part of the humour based on moments of forgetfulness. Kudos to the writer for keeping the viewers thoroughly entertained and rolling in fits of laughter for the entire 30-minute duration of the show. The script, in each episode, is crisp and full of puns and wordplay that is a welcome change from the rest.

Dawn.com takes you behind-the-scenes on the set of the rollercoaster ride that is ‘Bulbulay’.–(Text & Photos by Eefa Khalid)

Nabeel: ?Bulbulay is a very old idea, which for the longest time I couldn?t
manage to work on. Last year, when I set up my own company, I spoke to
Ali Imran (the writer) and Raana Rizwan (the director) about it. It
was then that we decided to work on the idea and the script which had
been lying around for 5 years. When we started, we had no idea that it
would click so well with the audiences and would become so popular.?
Nabeel: ?Bulbulay is a very old idea, which for the longest time I couldn?t manage to work on. Last year, when I set up my own company, I spoke to Ali Imran (the writer) and Raana Rizwan (the director) about it. It was then that we decided to work on the idea and the script which had been lying around for 5 years. When we started, we had no idea that it would click so well with the audiences and would become so popular.?
Ayesha Omar: ?Gradually the show became so popular that where ever we went, whether to the bazaar or a get together, people were talking about it. But the best thing about the show is that it appeals to people of all ages and has broken the class divide. We have received tremendous feedback about it from a house guard to a home-owner.?
Ayesha Omar: ?It is also nice to see people recalling certain dialogues from the play and finding even the different nicknames used throughout the play, hilarious.?
Ayesha Omar: ?Hina Dilpazeer (Momo) plays Nabeel's mother. She came in as a guest actor in one episode. It was an interesting character with an absolutely crazy personality and ended up being such a huge hit among our viewers. And to justify our relationship of three unmarried people living together, we thought ?why not add a mother's role in the play??. This is how the writer planned to marry the characters of Khubsoorat with  Nabeel, and Mehmood Sahab with Momo.
Ayesha Omar: ?Hina Dilpazeer (Momo) plays Nabeel's mother. She came in as a guest actor in one episode. It was an interesting character with an absolutely crazy personality and ended up being such a huge hit among our viewers. And to justify our relationship of three unmarried people living together, we thought ?why not add a mother's role in the play??. This is how the writer planned to marry the characters of Khubsoorat with Nabeel, and Mehmood Sahab with Momo.
laughter. But this has never affected the shoot; in fact it has only
made it more real.?
Hina Dilpazeer: ?Overall, it has been a fun experience - working on the sets of this ridiculously funny show. But I never laugh on my own lines, it is usually Mehmood Sahab! And then there are some other moments on the set among the crew members, which makes us all go into fits of laughter. But this has never affected the shoot; in fact it has only made it more real.?
Hina Dilpazeer: ?There is no competition and we are not trying to copy anyone, our aim was never to compete with any other sitcom. I came for the style of the play and stuck for the team, the cast and the crew, which makes the play what is it now.?
Nabeel: ?This is a team effort, from the writer and director to the rest of
the crew members. We try to bring something new or add something
interesting in each episode. We are going to continue with it until it
doesn?t get monotonous and the viewers still keep watching.?
Nabeel: ?This is a team effort, from the writer and director to the rest of the crew members. We try to bring something new or add something interesting in each episode. We are going to continue with it until it doesn?t get monotonous and the viewers still keep watching.?
With over 70 episodes aired, Bulbulay is still running and successfully providing great entertainment to its growing viewership.

T2 Apr 04, 2011 12:35pm
Bulbuley is one the best comedy drama as compared to the other so called comedy dramas going on. The script is too awesome and for seconds we to open the knot of the script to taste the crisp of the punch line. Apart from that Ma'm MOMO's character is the central point of gravity of the whole show. I appreciate all the team members of this serial by the effort of whom we could be able to watch such a nice show.
Syed Riffat Apr 04, 2011 01:25pm
I like the play, infact i had to see glimpse of some episodes. However, the momo charactor is just copy paste of charater played as Hamsheera by Durdana Butt in Aaangan Tehra.
Salman Sheikh Apr 04, 2011 01:30pm
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PROGRAM TO BE WATCHED ON TV I LOVE IT AND I DONT MISS ITS SINGLE EPISODE
Roy Apr 04, 2011 01:36pm
I am from ndia and always have been a fan of Pakistani comedy on TV. I loved Bakra Kishton Mein, Parchi, and another police comedy, the name I don't remember. There was a old drama called Waaris, which I absolutely loved. Keep it up
Madeeha Apr 04, 2011 02:06pm
Good to know that our people are using there minds without coping anyone and its working. I saw this drama and its nice and funny.
Arifeen Yousufi Apr 04, 2011 02:08pm
Bulbulay is my favourite sitcom series... its a great exercise of my mouth after came back from office... :D
huma Apr 04, 2011 03:52pm
Bulbulay is my favourite sitcom series… It is very interesting play really
arif Apr 04, 2011 04:09pm
Bulbuley is an excellent comdey series, all the actors, actresses are excellent. Top of them is legendary Mehmood Sahab. Mehmood is an actor of excellence. All of you continue the good work -- all my best wishes.
sa ak Apr 04, 2011 04:16pm
Bulbuley is one of the best sitcom,it's really awesome and funny.It is a good physical and mental exercise for busy people of all age.Bulbuley takes us in the realm of forgetfulness and laughter.It is the best sitcom being presented on TV channel. Good Luck for the team of Bulbuley
Fazal (Moscow) Apr 04, 2011 04:40pm
me and my whole family watched all episodes on internet... all episodes are really really wonderful :) even the guests coming in their house are equally nutts!!!!!!!
Asad Apr 04, 2011 07:52pm
I can't believe this sitcom is still running and people are actually praising it. To be honest it is one of the most horrible comedy shows I have ever seen, full of dim-witted characters with a combined IQ of 50. And it is worst than slapstick as it repeats the same wordplay jokes over and over again. It’s a pity that the our comedy show have plummeted to such poor standards when we had had such classics as Fifty-Fifty, Uncle Roofi, Ankahi, Aangan Tehra, Sunehri Din, Sab set hai in the past.
A Pervez Apr 04, 2011 10:31pm
I think the main comedy element (forgetfulness) in this sitcom just gets too much that this play starts getting lame. All the actors in this sitcom are well known and are really good but comedy is one thing which only few people can carry it off like the character of Momo which is the only character I find hilarious. Its good but gets lame at times
Sarah Farrukh Apr 04, 2011 11:49pm
Very Funny and Awesome Drama :DDDDD
Sajjad Ashraf Apr 05, 2011 01:02am
Bulbulay and many other drama serials are not portraying what our culture is. It is hard to watch with family members because of double meaning dialogues and vulgarity. I don't know whose culture are they trying to propogate into Pakistani society by showing vulgarity, double meaning sentences, Tawaifs, Alcohol drinking , girls smoking....Blah Blah Blah.... I still miss the drams from Anwer Maqsood, Ashfaq Ahmed and Haseena Moin and many many more....Now most of our drama serials are in production with vulgar language.....Please don't watch this kind of CRAP.....
Umair Apr 05, 2011 03:45am
I have been made to watch 4-5 episodes of this show and it is possibly the worst comedy show I can find on TV (except the one with Nida and Yasir Baloch). The jokes are extremely lame, Ayesha cannot act at all and the word play makes my brain bleed. MOMO is probably the only tolerable character on the show. What happened to the Nabeel i remember from the 90s? I feel bad for these poor actors made to work with these garbage scripts. Such a shame!!
Tahir Apr 05, 2011 09:41am
Momo and Nabeel are at their best alongwith Mehmood to make Bulbaly a real entertaining and refreshing sitcom. I love to watch it whenever I find the time on TV and Youtube. Great work ,please keep it up.
naveed Apr 05, 2011 09:48am
bulbaly is a really fantastic play its amazing writing. all the team act well specially nabeel its color full and full of joy actor in the sad atmosphere of Pakistan.
Adil Apr 05, 2011 10:03am
A wonderful comedy, rare in these days when humor has either become very coarse or absolutely cheesy! Very tasteful, well written and well acted out. My whole family watches it regularly! :) Keep it up guys!
Yousuf Khuwaja Apr 05, 2011 10:14am
Its really nice comedy drama, Though i do not watch regularly, even i dont know at what timing or day, the drama will play ! but whenever it comes into my eye, i have always pertained my eyes on it and never changes the channel, while this drama is being played on TV.
samia Apr 05, 2011 11:04am
BULBULAY really an excellent work me and my family and espesially my littel nephew watch this comedy sitcom with great joy. I really appreciate momo's character she is doing good job.
Salman Apr 05, 2011 11:06am
best comedy drama .....
Ahmed Saeed Apr 05, 2011 11:10am
Dear bulbuley team. You are wonderful and won the day. My tributes to all of you. My children gets crazy and wait for the programm to start. Thank you so much. Please keep the good work.
eee Apr 05, 2011 01:05pm
Nabeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel?
PASHAS Apr 05, 2011 03:26pm
My family is enjoying this tele play comedy for last several months and i wonder why there is no other comedy show or play televised in about 100 channels in Pakistan. Keep it up dear Nabeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel , Khooooooosurat, Momooooooo and Mahmoooooood.
Muhammad Waqas Khan Apr 05, 2011 03:29pm
Really..when i first watch this drama serial,my stomach start itching with a big laugh. Nabeel is acting in a really professional way. i would sujjest others,"in order to minimize but to avoid tension,just watch this play once,and you will love it.(Engr.M Waqas khan,Uet Peshawar Graduate 2009).
Kashif Alam Hashmi Apr 05, 2011 03:54pm
I Like BULBULAY but some time very cheep wording used, please trying to adopt nice wording, otherwise it is a good play to see after a long time
Farrukh Riaz Apr 05, 2011 04:22pm
Yes really a good time to laught together withmy familyacting of AYESHA is very natural/ near to reality all other actors are doing well.A perfect family entertainment.... FARRUKH UAE
Mr.Mole Apr 05, 2011 04:57pm
I wasted 20 minutes of my life on one episode. It was not remotely interesting let alone funny. It could be any one of tons of soap opreas at various channels. If you appreciate comedy then watch something like the simpsons.
Sadiakhanum Apr 05, 2011 04:58pm
Really great ...but sometime it borders on rudeness towards elders ...otherwise great comedy
Zeeshan Apr 05, 2011 05:42pm
Nice comedy... ?
Saadia Anwar Apr 05, 2011 06:59pm
Hina Dilpazeer, Ma'am you rock!!! Kudos!!!
Abdul Raqeeb Apr 06, 2011 08:57am
Momo is really doing wonderful act in this play. Her each and every moment bring smile on faces. Nabeel, Khoobsoorat and Mahmoob sahab are in perfect slot.... Keep it up and spread the smiles....
Ajmal Warraich Apr 06, 2011 09:39am
Yes, its a veeeeeeeeeeeeery good comedy play. nabeel and khubsorat acting very well. they act very close to natural. best wishes for both of u.
Fahad Khanzada Apr 06, 2011 11:35am
it is very comedy indeed specially MOMO doing a great job superb talent which is show how to act. actually Great Pakistan have much talent but they want a way to showoffs their guts
Sehrish Apr 06, 2011 11:42am
Well no doubt that the play is quite comedy but we should not ignore the fact that there are mostly too bold dialogues which actually drags it out of the category of Family Shows!!
Ahsan Ali Apr 06, 2011 11:53am
Momo is really doing wonderful act,
umar rizwan Apr 07, 2011 11:36am
i want to appreciate to all Bulbulay team & all are hard worker
SHOAIB Apr 07, 2011 01:47pm
THIS IS VERY INTERESTING COMEDY SERIAL ADN FULL OF FUN.
SHOAIB Apr 07, 2011 01:54pm
EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER OF THIS DRAMA IS DOING WELL ESPECIALLY MOMO'S ACTING IS VERY APPRICIABLE.
SHOAIB Apr 07, 2011 02:02pm
BULBULEY IS ONE OF THE BEST COMEDY DRAMA AS COMPARED TO THE OTHER SO CALLED COMEDY DRAMAS GOING ON.THE SCRIPT IS TOO AWESOME AND FOR SECONDS WE TO OPEN THE KNOT OF THE SCRIPT TO TASTE THE CRISP OF THE PUNCH LINE.
bukhari stars Apr 08, 2011 10:36am
Nabeeeeeeeeel................ keep it up my mother like this drama very much. khubsoorat, majeee, mahmood saahb and of course YOU are mind blowing..
Samad Abbasi Apr 13, 2011 01:00pm
shutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt upppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp nabeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllll i love this dialogue
Hawa Abdullah Apr 16, 2011 12:27pm