QUETTA, Dec 29: A large number of Iranian security personnel were killed and scores of others injured in a suicide attack on the headquarters of the Iranian security force in Sarwan district of Sistan-Balochistan on Monday.

Iran’s deputy consul-general in Quetta Aqai Mohammad Ali Rushdai said: “The incident took place in Sarwan and a large number of security personnel were killed and injured in the attack.”

He said Jundullah, a religious outfit, had claimed responsibility for the attack.

According to agency reports, the suicide attacker hit an explosive-laden truck near a building of Iranian security forces about 130 km away from the Pakistan border town of Washak.

The building was blown up in the attack. “Security agencies had been receiving threats of an attack for some time,” Aqai Rushdai said.

Opinion

Editorial

Back to bedlam
Updated 25 May, 2022

Back to bedlam

FEAR tactics have never worked in the past, and most likely will not this time either. The government’s ...
25 May, 2022

Balochistan blaze

THE forest fire on the Koh-i-Sulaiman range in Balochistan’s Shirani area is among a series of blazes to have...
25 May, 2022

Unequal citizens

INDIFFERENCE would have been bad enough, but the state’s attitude towards non-Muslims falls squarely in the...
Updated 24 May, 2022

Marching in May

MORE unrest. That is the forecast for the weeks ahead as the PTI formally proceeds with its planned march on...
24 May, 2022

Policy rate hike

THE State Bank has raised its policy rate by 150bps to 13.75pc, hoping that its latest monetary-tightening action...
24 May, 2022

Questionable campaign

OVER the past couple of days, a number of cases have been registered in different parts of the country against...