QUETTA, Sept 27: At least seven tribesmen and two FC men were killed in fierce fighting in Dera Bugti district on Saturday. Four other FC personnel were injured.
According to reports reaching here, both sides lost more than two dozen lives in the clashes, but deaths of only nine people were officially confirmed.
Officials said that security forces had destroyed two camps of militants and seized a huge quantity of arms and ammunition.
Sources said that the fighting erupted in the Ganz Nallah area when an FC patroll was attacked. Three FC men were injured.
Meanwhile, a man who claimed to be the spokesman for the banned Baloch Republican Army and identified himself as Sarbaz Baloch said his organisation was responsible for the attack. He claimed that 17 FC men had been killed in the clash.
The sources said that after attacking the FC patrol, the militants took up positions in nearby mountains and started firing.
Security personnel retuned fire and called in reinforcements and moved towards Gandoai and Toba Nokhani areas.
“Heavy weapons are being used by both sides,” the sources said. The fighting was continuing till late night.
Fresh clashes between Baloch militants and security forces were reported 25 days after three Baloch militant organiations announced their joint unilateral ceasefire on Sept 1.