Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

QUETTA, Aug 2: Inspector-General of the Frontier Corps for Balochistan, Maj-Gen Salim Nawaz, said on Saturday that about a dozen militants were killed recently when military retaliated against attackers in Dera Bugti district.

Addressing a press conference at the FC headquarters, he said there was no truth in reports that a fresh military operation had been launched in the district.

He said the security forces had retaliated when the attackers opened fire on a patrolling team in Kaznal and Toba Nakani areas.

He said the military smashed two camps of the militants during the action and seized a large quantity of weapons.

Endorsing the views of the prime minister’s adviser on interior that foreign hands were involved in subversive activities in the province, Maj-Gen Nawaz said that without the foreign support local people could not combat law-enforcement personnel, blowing railways tracks and attack other national assets.

He called upon those ‘misguided elements’ to benefit from the reconciliation policy of Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani and contribute to the progress of the province.

He said the FC had been deployed to protect national assets, including the Gwadar port, Mirani dam and Sabukzai dam.

Besides, he added, the force had curbed smuggling of narcotics and guns, assisted the provincial government in maintaining law and order and provided safety to domestic and foreign engineers and technical staff engaged in the exploration of gas and oil in different areas of the province.