QUETTA, May 19: Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani has stressed the need for a ceasefire to pave the way for creating a conducive atmosphere for promoting conciliation and peace in the province.
Talking to newsmen after the Balochistan assembly session on Monday, he said the government had started a reconciliation process for the betterment of the province.
“If there is a ceasefire, it should be from both sides. If one party stops the operation the other should also cease fire,” Nawab Raisani told a questioner.He said the militants should come to the table because dialogue was the only way to solve problems.
He said he had categorically stated that military operation would be stopped, all political leaders and workers would be released, missing people would be traced and troops would be withdrawn.
Relying to a question about withdrawal of cases against Marri and Bugti tribesmen, the chief minister said: “A summary is ready for withdrawing false cases against Marri and Bugti tribesmen and we will implement it in two days,” he said.
He said he wanted immediate withdrawal of all fake cases registered against politicians, tribal elders and notables.
He also said that settlers should not be attacked because they were our brethren.
“I appeal to the people indulging in violent activities not to attack the settlers because they are our brothers and have been living here for centuries. Unarmed people who serve us, who educate our children, barbers, bakers and drivers should not be attacked. It is an inhuman act,” Nawab Raisani said.
He said that during his stay in Islamabad, he had held meetings with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, PPP co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari and Naveed Qamar, who is looking after financial matters, and discussed the financial crisis being faced by the province.
He said he had been assured of help and cooperation in solving the problems of Balochistan.