WANA, March 17: A pro-government militant commander accused the Pakistani and US forces on Monday of carrying out Sunday’s missile attack on a compound of a house in the Shah Nawazkot area of South Waziristan. The attack left nine people, inclu/ding some foreigners, dead.

Maulvi Nazir’s spokesman Mita Khan, who won the support of the government after launching an armed campaign against Uzbek militants, termed the attack a joint operation of Pakistani and US forces.

“We believe that Pakistani security forces and Americans had carried out the attack,” Mr Khan said, adding that the ‘Mujahideen’ would soon avenge the death of their comrades.

Officials said that nine militants had been killed in the attack, while local people put the death toll at 18.

Some unconfirmed reports say that a doctor of Arab origin who frequented the compound was among the dead.

Opinion

Editorial

Elections in India
Updated 21 Apr, 2024

Elections in India

Independent accounts and spot reports are at variance with Modi-friendly TV anchors and they do not see an easy victory for the Indian premier.
IHC letter
21 Apr, 2024

IHC letter

THIS is a historic opportunity for the judiciary to define its institutional boundaries. It must not be squandered....
Olympic preparations
21 Apr, 2024

Olympic preparations

THIS past week marked the beginning of the 100-day countdown to the Paris Olympics, with the symbolic torch-lighting...
Isfahan strikes
Updated 20 Apr, 2024

Isfahan strikes

True de-escalation means Israel must start behaving like a normal state, not a rogue nation that threatens the entire region.
President’s speech
20 Apr, 2024

President’s speech

PRESIDENT Asif Ali Zardari seems to have managed to hit all the right notes in his address to the joint sitting of...
Karachi terror
20 Apr, 2024

Karachi terror

IS urban terrorism returning to Karachi? Yesterday’s deplorable suicide bombing attack on a van carrying five...