Israeli airstrike damages hospital in Lebanon

Published May 22, 2026 Updated May 22, 2026 07:29am

BEIRUT/WASHINGTON: Lebanon said an Israeli strike on Thursday damaged a hospital in the country’s south, where Israel and Hezbollah have been trading fire despite a ceasefire.

The state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported that Israeli aircraft “launched two strikes on the town of Tibnin near the public hospital, where significant damage was recorded”.

The health ministry circulated a video showing part of the hospital with shattered glass on the floor, blown-out ceiling panels and window panes, and other damage to what appeared to be offices.

According to the ministry, 16 hospitals have been damaged since the war erupted on March 2, while 116 emergency and health workers have been killed.

US sanctions nine over Hezbollah ties, including Lebanese MPs

The NNA also reported Israeli airstrikes on other south Lebanon locations on Thursday, while a photographer saw smoke rising after a raid on the village of Hanniyeh.

Hezbollah claimed a series of attacks including with rockets and drones on Israeli troops in south Lebanon, saying they came in retaliation for Israeli ceasefire violations.

Since the truce began on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting Hezbollah, which has also kept up attacks.

Last week the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of direct talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions which the Iran-backed Hezbollah staunchly opposes.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against “planned, imminent or ongoing attacks”.

Lebanon’s health ministry said that Israeli attacks have killed at least 3,089 people in Lebanon since March 2.

The ministry said that a strike on the town of Deir Qanun al-Nahr this week killed 14 people, including three women and four children, one of them Syrian, updating a preliminary toll of 10 dead.—AFP

US sanctions

The United States on Thursday sanctioned nine Hezbollah-linked individuals it accused of “obstructing the peace process in Lebanon,” as Israeli strikes on the southern part of the country continued despite a ceasefire.

“Hezbollah is a terrorist organisation and must be fully disarmed,” said Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent.

“Treasury will continue to take action against officials who have infiltrated the Lebanese government and are enabling Hezbollah to wage its senseless campaign of violence against the Lebanese people and obstruct lasting peace.” Iran-backed Hezbollah has wide-ranging support in Lebanon, with both an armed and a political wing, including elected members of parliament.

The group has staunchly opposed recent direct peace talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives. Washington and its ally Israel have called for the complete disarmament of the group.

Among those sanctioned on Thursday were Hezbollah MPs Hassan Fadlallah, Ibrahim al-Moussawi and Hussein al-Hajj Hassan, and executive council leader Mohamed Abdel-Mottaleb Fanich.

Published in Dawn, May 22nd, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...