Seoul’s foreign ministry says it is continuing to hold “close and serious discussions” over a recent attack on the South Korean vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, AlJazeera reports, citing Yonhap news agency.

Spokesperson Park Il promised to take action once a probe into the incident was complete.

An official inquiry previously determined that two unidentified flying objects hit the HMM Namu causing an explosion and a fire, Yonhap reported. It said analysis of debris recovered from the site is under way to identify the objects and those responsible for the incident.

“If additional findings are available, we will continue necessary communication and take appropriate measures, including providing explanations to the Iranian side,” Park was quoted as saying.

“Our top priority is ensuring the safety and freedom of navigation of our vessels and crew members in the region, and we are pursuing diplomatic efforts on multiple fronts to that end,” he added.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...