• Responding to Indian counterpart’s statement, defence minister warns of decisive response if provoked
• Says New Delhi will be better served by confronting growing unease within its own strategic, diplomatic space

ISLAMABAD: Defence Minister Khawaja Asif on Thursday reminded his Indian counterpart Rajnath Singh that the “illusion of space for war between two nuclear states is inconceivable and has drastic consequences”.

The reprimand was oste­nsibly in reaction to Mr Singh’s recent statement, in which he warned Pak­istan against any attem­pted “misadventure” under the shadow of the ongoing Middle East war, as reported by Indian media.

“Repeated rhetoric reflects not strength, but visible strategic anxiety as the anniversary of the staged false-flag operation in Pahalgam approaches — an episode that failed to withstand international scrutiny and exposed New Delhi’s reliance on manufactured crises,” stated Mr Asif’s post on X, in which he did not specifically refer to the statement but tagged Mr Singh.

“Such threat-mongering is not new; it is part of a predictable pattern — externalising internal fragility and attempting to provoke escalation under the guise of unsubstantiated allegations for vested political interests,” he added.

The Pahalgam episode, which took place on April 22 last year, saw tourists being attacked in India-occupied Kashmir. New Delhi, without evidence, linked it to Pakistan, leading to a brief military escalation between the two countries. Islamabad had strongly denied responsibility for the attack while calling for a neutral investigation.

The Pakistan Army later designated the period of conflict with India from the April 22 Pahalgam attack to the May 10 conclusion of its operation, Bunyanum Marsoos, as Marka-i-Haq (Battle of the Truth).

‘Decisive response’

In his post, Mr Asif said history stood as a stark reminder that miscalculation had consequences.

“Marka-i-Haq remains fresh in our minds. The next time, our response will be even more forceful and decisive,” he warned.

“Let there be no ambiguity: Pakistan remains committed to peace and regional stability, but its resolve to defend sovereignty is absolute, its preparedness complete, and its response will be swift, calibrated, and decisive,” he added.

“Let me remind Rajnath Singh that the illusion of space for war between two nuclear states is inconceivable and has drastic consequences.”

He said India would be better served by “confronting the growing unease within its own strategic and diplomatic space”.

Published in Dawn, April 3rd, 2026

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...