NA speaker accepts 2024 resignation of BNP-M chief Akhtar Mengal

Published February 11, 2026
The file photo shows Balochistan National Party (BNP-M) chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal. — DawnNewsTV/File
The file photo shows Balochistan National Party (BNP-M) chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal. — DawnNewsTV/File

National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq on Wednesday accepted the resignation of veteran politician Sardar Akhtar Mengal, chief of his faction of the Balochistan National Party (BNP-M).

Mengal, who was elected as an MNA from Khuzdar (NA-256) in the 2024 general elections, had submitted his resignation in September that year, citing the “prevailing situation in Balochistan”.

“PML-N has at last accepted my resignation after dragging its feet long enough to expose its own fear,” Mengal said in a social media post, referring to the speaker’s party.

“Was it the applause that unsettled you or the fact that I could draw crowds in Punjab’s core?” he asked, apparently referring to his participation in a charged discussion about Balochistan at the Asma Jahangir Conference held recently in Lahore.

At the event, Mengal had criticised recent political and electoral developments, alleging that mainstream Baloch political leadership had been sidelined.

He also expressed concern over restrictions on political activity, media access and civil liberties.

In his post on X, Mengal said he had “not withdrawn one rupee” since he tendered his resignation, adding that he had vacated Parliament Lodges 17 months ago.

“For the record, not one rupee has been withdrawn since my resignation. Every amount remains in Parliament’s bank. The lodges were vacated 17 months ago and I have not resided there since. Adios!”

In a separate post, he said, “My resignation was submitted on 3rd September 2024 by choice and with full conviction.”

He said the decision was taken on principle, in response to the “unresolved grievances of Balochistan”.

“Instead of addressing those grievances, the authorities chose to suppress the issue, once again demonstrating that this federation has no real space for a Baloch voice,” he said.

“What is now public is not just my resignation, but the mindset of those in power toward Balochistan’s suffering and how my appearance in Lahore was enough to unsettle many egos. I stand by this decision,” he said.

The senior politician had resigned over security tensions in Balochistan after the Aug 26, 2024 deadly attacks across the province and increased protests against enforced disappearances.

Soon after the resignation was submitted, the government and the PTI beseeched Mengal to take back his resignation and continue to be a voice for Balochistan in the lower house of Parliament.

In July 2025, the BNP-M chief was barred from travelling abroad, with immigration officials at the Quetta airport info­rming him that his name had been placed in the Provisional National Identification List (PNIL), a temporary travel ban to stop people from going abroad.

Two months later, the Balochistan High Court had declared the travel ban illegal and directed authorities to immediately lift the restriction.

‘Marginalised and ignored’

In his resignation letter addressed to the NA speaker, Mengal had said the “prevailing situation in Balochistan has compelled me to take this step”.

“Our province has consistently been marginalised and ignored by this House. Each day, we are pushed further against the wall, leaving us with no choice but to reconsider our roles.

“The lack of genuine representation in this Assembly for the people of Balochistan has left voices like mine unable to bring meaningful change.

“It has become increasingly clear that our attempts to speak or protest are met with hostility, our people are either silenced, labelled as traitors, or worse, killed,” Mengal wrote in his letter.

“Under such circumstances, I find it impossible to continue in this capacity, as my presence here no longer serves any purpose for the people I represent,” Mengal wrote.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...