Balochistan protesters demand action on Kech kidnappings

Published January 6, 2026
TURBAT: Political activists and members of civil society take part in a demonstration against rising cases of kidnapping in Kech district.—Dawn
TURBAT: Political activists and members of civil society take part in a demonstration against rising cases of kidnapping in Kech district.—Dawn

GWADAR: Leaders and workers from different political parties, along with civil society members, staged a rally in Turbat town on Monday against the worsening law-and-order situation and the recent rise in kidnapping-for-ransom incidents in Kech district.

The rally was organised by All Parties Kech in collaboration with traders, the Doctors Association and civil society.

Marchers moved through main roads and streets of the district headquarters of Kech district, starting from Officer Bazaar, passing through various routes, reaching the Press Club and then proceeding to Shaheed Fida Chowk, where the march turned into a protest.

“The protection of citizens is the responsibility of the state and its institutions,” National Party President Dr Abdul Malik Baloch said while describing the situation in Kech as “alarming”.

Political leaders warn of district-wide strike

Demonstrators demanded the recovery of two recently abducted youths, Haseeb Haji Yaseen and Shah Nawaz Gul Jan, and called on state institutions to protect citizens.

Mr Malik, while demanding the recovery, warned that attempts were once again being made to push Kech toward instability, but said the people of Kech would resist such efforts.

He urged the district administration to provide protection to citizens and said that for the past month, affected families and political leaders had approached relevant institutions, but each continued to shift responsibility to others.

All Parties Kech Convener Nawab Khan Shambezai announced that a district-wide strike would be observed on Jan 7 if the two youths did not return.

The Kech Bar Association boycotted court proceedings in solidarity with the families of the abducted.

Advocate Syed Majeed Shah, the association’s president, condemned the kidnappings.

Business activities and daily life have been severely disrupted by the recent wave of crime, according to local leaders.

Mir Ghafoor Ahmed Bizenjo, a former minister, said that citizens were “living under a sense of fear” and called on the state to ensure public safety.

Human rights defenders and other speakers at the rally said the insecurity affects the entire Makran region, demanding an end to the kidnappings that have particularly targeted the business community.

Published in Dawn, January 6th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...