42 migrants feared dead as boat capsizes off Libya

Published November 13, 2025
In this file photo, a rubber boat used by migrants floats at the sea on sunset, as seen from the migrant search and rescue ship Sea-Watch 5, operated by German NGO Sea-Watch, in the search and rescue (SAR) zone in the central Mediterranean, off Libya on August 9, 2025. — Reuters/File
In this file photo, a rubber boat used by migrants floats at the sea on sunset, as seen from the migrant search and rescue ship Sea-Watch 5, operated by German NGO Sea-Watch, in the search and rescue (SAR) zone in the central Mediterranean, off Libya on August 9, 2025. — Reuters/File

GENEVA: The United Nations said on Wednesday that 42 migrants were missing and presumed dead after a boat capsized off the Libyan coast last week.

It was the latest in a series of similar disasters in a stretch of the Mediterranean Sea that have claimed the lives of more than a thousand people so far this year.

Seven survivors were rescued after six days adrift, the UN’s International Organis­ation for Migration said in a statement.

“According to survivors, some individuals were wearing life jackets while others held onto the overturned boat,” an IOM spokesman said.

The vessel, carrying 47 men and two women, left Zuwara, west of Tripoli, on November 3 before high waves caused the engine to fail around six hours later, the IOM said.

The boat capsized, throwing all passengers overboard, the statement added. On Saturday, the Libyan authorities carried out a search and rescue operation near the Al Buri oil field.

“After drifting at sea for six days, only seven men — four from Sudan, two from Nigeria, and one from Cameroon — were rescued,” the IOM said.

“Tragically, 42 individuals remain missing and are presumed dead, including 29 from Sudan, eight from Somalia, three from Cameroon, and two from Nigeria.” IOM staff gave the survivors emergency medical care, food, and water once they were brought ashore. They were transferred to Tripoli.

“Their health condition is reported to be quite good, considering their ordeal, apart from skin irritations from salt water,” the IOM spokesman said.

Death toll

More than 1,000 migrants have died this year attempting the main central Mediterranean crossing between North Africa and southern Europe, according to IOM figures.

“With this latest shipwreck, the total has risen even further, reinforcing the urgent need for strengthened regional cooperation, expanded safe and regular migration pathways, and more effective search and rescue operations to prevent further loss of life,” the IOM said.

Published in Dawn, November 13th, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...