YouTube, platforms not cooperating enough on EU content disputes: report

Published October 1, 2025
A 3D printed Youtube logo is seen in front of a displayed EU flag in this illustration picture taken on June 21, 2021. — Reuters/File
A 3D printed Youtube logo is seen in front of a displayed EU flag in this illustration picture taken on June 21, 2021. — Reuters/File

An independent appeals body tasked with resolving disputes between social media platforms and EU users took aim on Wednesday at the lack of cooperation from digital platforms, especially YouTube.

The Dublin-based out-of-court dispute settlement body, Appeals Centre Europe, was created as part of the Digital Services Act (DSA), the European Union’s landmark content moderation law that has come under fierce US scrutiny.

The DSA demands companies protect EU citizens against illegal content, but also requires platforms to allow users to challenge any content decisions — such as account or post removals — via an out-of-court mechanism.

The centre, however, found that platforms including Meta’s Facebook and Instagram as well as TikTok often dragged their feet, refusing to engage with the body sufficiently — and singled out YouTube as the worst culprit.

When disputes arise, the panel seeks information from the platforms about deleted content or suspended accounts to adjudicate. In cases where no details were provided, it often ruled in the users’ favour.

“In some cases, we’ve succeeded despite platforms, not because of them,” said Thomas Hughes, leading the panel.

For example, the centre said it received no content from YouTube — meaning it was only able to make decisions on 29 of the 343 eligible disputes submitted.

“As such, we are concerned that YouTube’s EU users are being denied meaningful access to out-of-court settlement,” Appeals Centre Europe said.

Covering the period between November 2024 to August 2025, it is the first transparency report since the body’s creation last year.

The panel said dispute-settlement bodies were currently “Europe’s best-kept-secret” — but that it was working for that to change.

The centre said it received nearly 10,000 disputes and has already issued around 1,500 decisions in more than 3,300 cases that were within its scope.

Other platforms under the centre’s scrutiny include Pinterest and Meta-owned Threads.

The DSA is currently in Washington’s crosshairs.

US President Donald Trump’s allies accuse the DSA of being a tool of “foreign censorship”, but the EU rejects such accusations.

There are currently multiple EU probes ongoing under the DSA into platforms including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and tech billionaire Elon Musk’s X.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...