Jaffar Express departs from Quetta after 17-day hiatus

Published
0
Passengers stand in a queue as they wait to enter Quetta railway station as the Jaffar Express train resumes its services, March 28. — AFP
Passengers stand in a queue as they wait to enter Quetta railway station as the Jaffar Express train resumes its services, March 28. — AFP

QUETTA: Amid tight security, the Jaffar Express with over 400 passengers on board, restarted its journey and departed for Peshawar from Quetta railway station on Friday after remaining suspended for 17 days.

Minister for Railways Hanif Abbasi had announced the government plan to resume Jaffar Express and Bolan Mail ope­­rations during his recent visit to Quetta.

Pakistan Railways had suspended its entire operations from Punjab and Sindh to Balochistan and vice versa, following the horrific attack on the Peshawar-bound Jaffar Express claimed by Balochistan Liberation Army terrorists, killing many and taking passengers hostages in the Mashkaf area of Kachhi district on March 11. Consequently, the security forces conducted a successful operation that lasted two days.

Talking to Dawn, a senior official of Pakistan Railways said Jaffar Express, which had started its journey from Pesh­awar, reached Quetta on Friday night.

He added that an Eid special train would also leave from Quetta on Saturday.

Member of the National Assembly Jamal Shah Kakar saw off the hundreds of passengers and expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Railways Minister Hanif Abbasi for the immediate measures taken for the restoration of the rail link.

Mr Kakar said the resumption of Jaffar Express service would provide convenience to passengers. He said the revival of railways was a positive development for the people of Balochistan.

Due to the suspension of rail services, airlines were charging exorbitant fares.

In addition to Jaffar Express, eight new trains would be operating from Balochistan.

Mr Kakar mentioned that he had raised his voice in the NA Standing Committee for the restoration of railways and the addition of more trains, which led to the announcement by the government to run eight more trains from Balochistan, in addition to the Jaffar Express.

Meanwhile, the divisional superintendent of railways confirmed to Dawn that security had been improved.

He said Jaffar Express, which had departed from Peshawar, reached Quetta at 8pm on Friday.

Published in Dawn, March 29th, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

Work in progress
Updated 17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
Unfit supplies
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
Israel’s war on life
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Balochistan’s wounds
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
Tax scheme
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
In choppy waters
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...