Belgian police shoot and wound Brussels gunman: media

Published October 17, 2023
Police cordon the area after a police operation in Schaerbeek near Brussels, Belgium October 17, 2023. — Reuters
Police cordon the area after a police operation in Schaerbeek near Brussels, Belgium October 17, 2023. — Reuters

Belgian police on Tuesday shot and wounded a 45-year-old Tunisian who allegedly killed two Swedish citizens in Brussels on Monday, RTBF radio said on its website.

Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden said earlier the wounded man was suspected of being the gunman.

“The weapon with which the attacks were committed has been found this morning where the man was apprehended in Schaerbeek. That makes the likelihood that the perpetrator has been caught bigger,” Verlinden told VRT broadcaster. “We are checking fingerprints to be 100 per cent sure.”

She said the man was in intensive care in hospital. Schaerbeek is on the border of Brussels.

The Belgian capital’s mayor Philippe Close told BFM TV: “It seems indeed the suspect has been neutralised.”

The gunman also wounded a third Swedish citizen on Monday in what Prime Minister Alexander De Croo called a brutal terrorist attack.

The country has raised the security alert status of its capital city to the highest level, with increased police presence, particularly for Swedish people and institutions, and warned the public to be extra vigilant and avoid unnecessary travel.

A man who identified himself as a member of Islamic State claimed responsibility in a video posted online.

The attacker, who unsuccessfully sought asylum in Belgium in November 2019, was known to police in connection with people smuggling and illegal residence, Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne told a news conference.

Sweden raised its terror alert to the second-highest level in August after acts against the Holy Quran outraged Muslims and triggered threats from militants.

The shooting comes at a time of heightened security concerns in some European countries linked to the Israel-Hamas conflict, though a Belgian federal prosecutor said there was no evidence that the attacker had any link to the recent conflict.

Video footage of the Brussels attack posted on the Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper website showed a man in an orange jacket on a scooter at a street intersection with a rifle first firing five shots, then following people fleeing into a building before firing again.

According to a media transcript of the video message recorded by the self-declared perpetrator, he said he had killed Swedes to take revenge in the name of Muslims.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...