Hesco office ransacked, furniture torched over PMT blast, fire incident

Published July 25, 2021
THE ransacked office and furniture of Hesco in Latifabad. — Dawn
THE ransacked office and furniture of Hesco in Latifabad. — Dawn

HYDERABAD: A 10-year-old victim of Thursday’s PMT blast and fire incident in Hyderabad succumbed to his burns on Saturday, taking the death toll of the Akbari Mosque tragedy to six.

The body of Arfeen, son of Mohammad Shakil Malik, was brought here from Karachi on Saturday and laid to rest in the Akbari graveyard. Some critically injured patients are still under treatment in the civil hospital and a private hospital in Karachi.

On Saturday, enraged people ransacked the Rizvi sub-division of Hyderabad Electric Supply Company (Hesco) located on Autobahn Road. They took out furniture from the office and torched it on the road.

They also torched official record inside the office. Fire tenders were called by police to extinguish the fire.

Death toll rises to six as 10-year-old boy dies in Karachi

No FIR of the rioting was registered till late in the evening.

Angry residents of the locality blocked Autobahn Road in protest against many casualties in the tragedy. Police arrived and got the traffic movement restored.

Meanwhile, the A-Section police of Latifabad registered a case under Section 322 and 427 PPC on the complaint of ASI Hashim Ali Rajput, mentioning details of the blast and fire incident.

Qaumi Awami Tehreek leader Ayaz Latif Palijo on Saturday offered condolences to the heirs of the victims.

Speaking to them at their residence in Latifabad Unit-8, he demanded Rs10m compensation separately from the federal and Sindh governments for each of the deceased.

He told the victims’ families that PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari, Sindh governor and chief minister and federal ministers should have visited the site and the heirs the very next day. He said a murder case should be registered against Hesco officials.

He said similar incident took place in Islamabad Mohalla last month where seven children were injured and three of them later died. He said that Sindhi- and Urdu-speaking people were under “occupation of rulers”. They were paying taxes to government, he argued. He said these communities were being crushed under a conspiracy.

Published in Dawn, July 25th, 2021

Opinion

Press and power
25 Sep 2021

Press and power

None used the press so brazenly as the Modi government.
Once upon a Taliban
Updated 25 Sep 2021

Once upon a Taliban

Something, somewhere is terribly wrong with how this story is unfolding.
Foundation of healthcare
24 Sep 2021

Foundation of healthcare

Primary healthcare is as much for healthy individuals as it for those suffering from ill health.

Editorial

25 Sep 2021

NAB controversy

THE completion of the four-year term of NAB chairman Javed Iqbal early next month has afforded Prime Minister Imran...
Cabinet ‘inclusivity’
Updated 25 Sep 2021

Cabinet ‘inclusivity’

Voices are being raised questioning when the much-hyped inclusivity the group had talked about will materialise.
25 Sep 2021

Quorum malady

LACK of quorum has become a chronic problem for the present National Assembly which is in the process of becoming a...
24 Sep 2021

Costs of growth

IS Pakistan’s growth party over? Not yet. But both the State Bank and government are now cutting down on the items...
Smear campaign
Updated 24 Sep 2021

Smear campaign

It is commendable that the government has taken the matter as seriously as it has, and delved deep into cyber investigations.
24 Sep 2021

Rising dengue cases

THE dengue monster is once again rearing its head in different cities of Punjab. More than 820 cases have surfaced ...