Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Bugti foresees army action

October 29, 2005

QUETTA, Oct 28: Jamhoori Watan Party chief Nawab Akbar Bugti has accused the government of planning a massive military operation in Marri, Bugti and Makran areas.

Talking to newsmen in Dera Bugti on Thursday, the JWP chief said a military operation was imminent because the rulers wanted to take control of the national resources of the Baloch people. Forces for the operation were ready, he said.

He warned the Baloch nation that the situation on the ground indicated that the operation could be launched during Ramazan or after Eid in different areas of the province.

He said that the four gas fields in the Bugti area providing energy to the whole country was an important wealth of the province.

The Marri area, he said, was also very important because of presence of huge oil and gas reserves as proven by various surveys conducted by the government and other agencies.

He said Makran was also an important area as multinational companies were taking interest in Gwadar, Pasni, Ormara and Jewani and the government was building necessary infrastructure and working on mega projects to meet international requirements.

“Most areas of Makran have been sold to multinational companies,” Nawab Bugti alleged. He said that the government was using all its power to take complete control of the areas and the coming operation would be massive.

He said that in Bugti area more than 13,000 troops, including contingents of the SSG, the DSG, the FC, Rangers and other security forces had been deployed.

There were 16 tanks, 20 long-range field guns, a number of helicopter gunships, 40 pieces of artillery, 35 to 40 armoured personnel carriers and other military equipment in the area, he said.

He said heavy concentration of forces had also been reported from the Marri tribal area and reinforcement was being sent to Makran.

He said the government had held out assurances before the March 17 action in Dera Bugti that no action would be taken but people of the area faced death and destruction.

Answering a question, the JWP chief said the place and time of the operation would be selected by the government but it was imminent in view of recent developments in the country.