Over 2,000 migrants cleared from Paris camp amid Covid fears

Published November 18, 2020
Paris: Migrants wait to be evacuated by French gendarmes at a makeshift camp in the Saint-Denis suburb of Paris on Tuesday.—Reuters
Paris: Migrants wait to be evacuated by French gendarmes at a makeshift camp in the Saint-Denis suburb of Paris on Tuesday.—Reuters

SAINT DENIS: French police on Tuesday cleared a migrant street camp outside the Stade de France stadium north of Paris where around 2,000 people, mainly Afghan and African, had been living in cramped tents.

Dozens of police were deployed to carry out the operation, which took place in the midst of a nationwide coronavirus lockdown.

The occupants of the camp, which had mushroomed in size in recent weeks, were taken by bus to Covid-19 testing centres.

Those who tested positive were to be placed in isolation while those who tested negative were to be taken to various shelters and sports halls around the French capital.

Paris is a key stop-off point on the European migrant route, with tented camps repeatedly sprouting up around the city only to be torn down by the police a few months later.

Over the past year, migrants have decamped to the suburbs to try avoid being moved on by the police.

During the first anti-Covid lockdown in March-April, a smaller camp housing around 700 migrants was cleared in the suburb of Aubervilliers, also close to the Stade de France.

“These camps are unacceptable,” Paris police chief Didier Lallement told reporters, adding that those migrants who were cleared to remain in France would be given accommodation but that those without bona fide asylum claims “were not destined to remain on French soil”.

Many, mostly men, had travelled alone to Europe and who had been living on the streets in Paris for months, moving from one dismantled camp to another.

The vast majority were Afghan but some came from Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia. Some 70 buses were laid on to take them to 26 shelters.

The head of the Paris branch of the Medecins du Monde NGO, Louis Barda, expressed concern for migrants living in squalid camps “where respecting barrier gestures is impossible”. “These people are being locked down outdoors,” he said.

Published in Dawn, November 18th, 2020

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...