Boy returns home two weeks after ‘kidnap for ransom’ in Lahore

Updated 03 Nov 2019

Email

Mystery surrounds alleged kidnapping of a Class X student and his “recovery after payment of Rs6 million to the kidnappers” two weeks after the incident. — AFP/File
Mystery surrounds alleged kidnapping of a Class X student and his “recovery after payment of Rs6 million to the kidnappers” two weeks after the incident. — AFP/File

LAHORE: Mystery surrounds alleged kidnapping of a Class X student and his “recovery after payment of Rs6 million to the kidnappers” two weeks after the incident.

According to a police official, Khalid Mahmood Butt, a realtor, reported that his the son Hasan Raza (16), Class X student, was kidnapped on Oct 15 by unidentified armed men on a busy road of Manga Mandi. A case was lodged the same day, he added.

Later, Butt told police that his son had been released by the kidnappers and returned home.

Butt’s family claimed the boy was got released after payment of Rs6m to the “kidnappers” who had initially demanded Rs10m for his release.

The police official, seeking anonymity, said that during the course of investigation, the forensic analysis of the mobile phone calls made by the boy and his family members was conducted which showed that Butt, who had launched a housing scheme, had monetary disputes with many people of the area.

He said the police had traced the “kidnappers” and they were being interrogated. The suspects told police they had a monetary dispute with the complainant, he added.

He said the victim’s family was reluctant to share details of paid ransom money with the police as they had been negotiating the “deal” with the suspects independently.

“We have taken into custody the suspects who were being questioned about the alleged kidnapping”, he said.

He said the investigations were yet to be concluded.

Published in Dawn, November 3rd, 2019