KARACHI: A Chinese diplomat on Sunday visited the Jinnah Post-Graduate Medical Centre (JPMC) and inquired after the health of private security guard Juman Kalhoro, who was injured in a gun-and-grenade attack on the Chinese consulate here on Friday.
Vice consul Liu Yuanli also gave the guard Rs500,000 for fighting bravely to protect the Chinese consulate. He praised JPMC executive director Dr Seemin Jamali for providing medical care to the guard.
Federal Minister for Ports and Shipping Ali Zaidi also visited the hospital and announced Rs300,000 for the guard. Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah had earlier announced Rs1 million for Mr Kalhoro. IGP Syed Kaleem Imam gave Rs500,000 to the guard.
Dr Seemin Jamali said the security guard’s condition was improving. “He is very stable now,” she said, adding that he might be discharged in a day or two.
Manhunt for arrest of facilitators of Chinese consulate attack under way
Meanwhile, additional inspector general of police Dr Amir Ahmed Shaikh said that ‘some persons’ had been detained for questioning from the places where the attackers allegedly involved in the attack on the Chinese consulate lived or were in touch with others.
Talking to reporters after presiding over a meeting on the provision of security for IDEAS in the city, he pointed out that police’s Counter Terrorism Department, Rangers, Inter-Services Intelligence and Military Intelligence were investigating and helping in the investigation as “terrorists have also started targeting Karachi for CPEC-related activities”.
He, however, said that it was not appropriate to divulge more details about the investigation.
Sources said that police investigators had launched a manhunt to detain purported facilitators of the attackers. They said the police had conducted raids in Karachi and other parts of Sindh and detained some suspects for questioning.
“About five persons have been detained in Karachi for allegedly facilitating the attackers,” said one police official familiar with the investigation.
He said a woman was detained from Sukkur on suspicion that a mobile Sim used by the attackers was issued in her name. But she was released as it transpired during the initial probe that she was innocent.
Since investigators had been giving preference to modern technology, the investigation was moving gradually, said the sources.
It has been established that the car used by the militants during the attack was purchased by them from a showroom in Karachi in 2014 and it was not true that they got the vehicle on rent.
Since the showroom has now been turned into a marriage hall, there is no record of sale of cars and the investigators were trying to find the last owner of the showroom from whom the attackers bought the vehicle.
Published in Dawn, November 26th, 2018