KARACHI: City and municipal administration have decided to remove all encroachments in Saddar within three weeks and an anti-encroachment task force consisting of officers from different institutions will be notified in two days to launch the operation, it emerged on Saturday.

Official sources told Dawn that a high-level meeting, presided over by Mayor Wasim Akhtar was held at the office of the city commissioner to chalk out a strategy to make Saddar, one of the main commercial areas of the city, encroachment-free in the light of the Supreme Court’s order.

The mayor said that the SC order for the removal of encroachments had now paved the way for strict action against encroachers and land grabbers, many of whom had earlier obtained stay orders to keep the grabbed land under their illegal occupation.

Karachi Commissioner Iftikhar Shalwani said that a task force would also be formed to check and monitor re-emergence of encroachments round the clock after their removal.

Metropolitan Commissioner of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation Dr Syed Saif-ur-Rehman informed the meeting that the municipal administration had completed its preparation to launch the anti-encroachment operation in Saddar. The action will start in the next two days and all encroachments, including concrete structures, shops, stalls and pushcarts, would be removed in the area stretching from Naveed Clinic to Lucky Star in Saddar.

He said that more than 90 per cent of the footpaths were illegally occupied by encroachers, while there were a large number of encroachments in and around the iconic Empress Market.

The metropolitan commissioner said that the frontmen of land grabber and encroachment mafia were operating hundreds of illegal stalls in Saddar.

It was decided in the meeting that the ringleaders of land mafia would be booked and arrested.

The meeting also decided to ban the entry of vehicular traffic in Saddar on Saturdays and Sundays. It decided that handicraft and book stalls would be set up on these two days.

The meeting was also told that encroachers in Saddar were being informed of the proposed action through pamphlets and ordered to vacate the illegally occupied places on their own.

Published in Dawn, November 4th, 2018

Opinion

Editorial

Mianwali raid
Updated 02 Feb, 2023

Mianwali raid

The military needs to share intelligence with civilian agencies to neutralise the militant menace nationwide.
Corruption unlimited
02 Feb, 2023

Corruption unlimited

PAKISTAN’S consistent slide on Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index over the last several...
Women police officers
02 Feb, 2023

Women police officers

IN a heartening development, a second female police officer has been appointed as DPO in Attock, weeks after the...
Road to perdition
Updated 01 Feb, 2023

Road to perdition

This is also the time of reckoning for those who sowed the seeds of a disastrous policy against militants.
Transport tragedies
01 Feb, 2023

Transport tragedies

TWO tragedies over the weekend illustrate the weak protocols governing the safety of transport in Pakistan. In fact,...
Disqualifying Jam Awais
01 Feb, 2023

Disqualifying Jam Awais

IT appears that there may be some kind of small punishment after all for PPP lawmaker Jam Awais, who was pardoned ...