Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

ISLAMABAD: A Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) committee headed by director of the outpatient department, Dr Amir Maqbool has started an inquiry into possible negligence in the death of a young man who was brought to the hospital with a snake bite Saturday night.

“The committee will record statements from doctors and staff as well as of the relatives of the deceased and will ascertain if there has been any negligence in the treatment of the patient,” Pims Executive Director Dr Raja Amjad told Dawn.

Noman Abbasi told Dawn his 18-year-old cousin Talha Abbasi was bitten by a snake at about 7pm on Saturday in Tarlai.

“We immediately put Talha in a car and reached the Pims emergency before 8pm. A patient slip was issued on which his blood pressure was recorded at 110/70 and he was admitted. We waited two hours but treatment was not started. After we requested a number of people, the staff finally took a blood sample and said the report will come at midnight and that we should wait,” he said.

He said that the staff gave Talha an injection after he died, just to record that he was provided treatment and that they handed the body over to the family afterwards.

“On the patient slip, where it says Talha’s blood pressure was 110/70, it has been cut with a ball point so that it now says his blood pressure was 70/40. But the original reading is still visible,” he said.

Noman said the family held a protest after midnight and that Additional Deputy Commissioner Waseem Khan then came and assured them than an inquiry will be held.

“My cousin was an intermediate student and he died due to negligence by doctors. My uncle, Ikhlaq Abbasi has also filed an application with the Karachi Company police station,” he said.

Dr Amjad said the snake which bit Talha was very poisonous and that its poison affects the nerves. He says usually, bleeding starts when someone is bit by this snake and that the chances of survival are minimal.

“All possible medicines including anti-venom, anti-tetanus and other medicines were given but the patient did not survive. An inquiry committee has been established and we will investigate into any possible negligence,” he said.

Published in Dawn, September 4th, 2018