QUETTA: The distribution of local and national newspapers in Balochistan resumed on Saturday as the banned Balochistan Liberation Front (BLF) announced its decision to end its boycott of media.

All press clubs in the province opened after remaining closed for nearly three months.

BLF’s spokesman Gohram Baloch said his organisation had decided to boycott the media on Oct 24 due to their attitude towards the province. He said that the aim of the boycott was to bring media out of official pressure. “We have achieved our goal and decided to end the boycott,” he added.

The press clubs had been closed and distribution of newspapers discontinued in the coastal belt including Gwadar, along with the areas in southern and central Balochistan, after the boycott had been announced on Oct 24. Newspapers could not get distributed even in Quetta for three days. However, later the government provided security to the newspaper offices and their supplies started in Quetta and northern parts of Balochistan.

Published in Dawn, January 21st, 2018

Opinion

Editorial

Sindh LG poll mess
28 Jun, 2022

Sindh LG poll mess

THE fears that many observers had about violence and mismanagement plaguing the electoral process have again...
State apathy
28 Jun, 2022

State apathy

The minister would do well to revisit his stance before further damage is done to the fight for civil rights.
Lofty but fragile
28 Jun, 2022

Lofty but fragile

PAKISTAN is set for its busiest mountaineering season in over a decade, with over 1,400 climbers from across the...
LNG crisis
Updated 27 Jun, 2022

LNG crisis

Global LNG shortages have sent the fuel’s price spiralling to record highs.
Bloc politics
27 Jun, 2022

Bloc politics

USING the platform of the 14th BRICS Summit, Chinese President Xi Jinping has made some interesting observations...
KCR dream
27 Jun, 2022

KCR dream

RAILWAYS Minister Saad Rafique has basically clarified what many a commuter in Karachi has known for long: true and...