Muttahida Qaumi Movement's convener in London and Altaf Hussain's long-time ally, Nadeem Nusrat has parted ways with Hussain, DawnNews reported on Monday.
Quoting sources, DawnNews said that a rift over financial matters forced Nusrat to take the decision. He has since moved to the United States with his family, the sources claimed.
His move adds to Hussain's worries, who has already been deserted by prominent London Rabita Committee members Wasay Jalil, Inbisat Malik and Zulfiqar Haider, sources informed DawnNews.
The MQM founder has been in trouble since his diatribe against the armed forces in August last year, following which his party members had distanced themselves from him and gathered under the leadership of Farooq Sattar to form a separate faction.
Once named by Hussain as one of his three possible successors, Nusrat's association with the MQM chief spans over three decades. Practically, Nusrat was the second-in-command to Hussain.
In May 2013, Nadeem Nusrat was appointed deputy convener of the party's Rabitta Committee's London chapter. In March 2015, Hussain told a meeting of elected representatives and office-bearers of his party that they could choose Dr Farooq Sattar, Nadeem Nusrat or Mohammad Anwar as his replacement.
After the falling out in 2016, Nusrat was made convener of the MQM-London faction of the party and empowered to reorganise and run the party's affairs.
Subsequently, he played an active role within the party's London-based group as well as on social media to defend Hussain. He had been strongly critical of those party leaders who abandoned Hussain in the post August 22, 2016 scenario.