HYDERABAD: Relatives of some alleged victims of enforced disappearance observed a token hunger strike on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, all three days of Eidul Azha, outside the local press club to demand immediate measures for their safe return home.
Wearing black armbands, they staged the strike for the recovery of Khadim Arejo, Hidayat Lohar, Raza Jarwar, Ghulam Rasool Burfat and Zaheer Hussain Burfat.
Tanveer Arejo and Neelum Arejo, daughters of missing Khadim Arejo, told reporters that those who had gone missing were picked up by a state institution.
Their father was picked up on April 17 near Shahbaz building, they said, adding that he was a BS-17 employee in the provincial food department as well as a responsible citizen.
They said five months had passed since his disappearance and protest for his recovery, but in vain. They said the whole family was facing mental agony.
Neelum Arejo said they had already appealed to the president, prime minister, chief justice of Pakistan, army chief and rights bodies to ensure recovery of Khadim Arejo and Punhal Sario, convener of the Voice for Missing Persons of Sindh, but failed to get any response.
Azeeman Burfat and Mumtaz Burfat said three of their family members — Ghulam Rasool Burfat, Zaheer Hussain Burfat and Asif Burfat — were picked up on Aug 5 and since then they had been protesting, but to no avail. They demanded their immediate recovery.
Soorath Lohar, deputy convener of the Voice for Missing Persons of Sindh, led the strike. According to her, such enforced disappearances of nationalist workers have increased in Sindh.
She said that their mutilated bodies were found on roads after they were subjected to inhuman torture.
Ashraf Noonari of the Sindh National Tehreek also expressed solidarity with the protesters by visiting them.
Published in Dawn, September 5th, 2017