KARACHI: The Sindh Apex Committee decided on Wednesday to continue operation against terrorists with more intensity and implement all its decisions in letter and in spirit.
A meeting of the committee, presided over by Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, also decided to set up another 30 anti-terrorism courts and appoint 200 prosecutors and an equal number of investigation officers to effectively plead over 7,000 cases pending in courts.
Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ibad, Home Minister Anwar Sial, Corps Commander Karachi Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar, Chief Secretary Siddique Memon, DG Rangers Maj Gen Bilal Akbar, IG Sindh Ghulam Haider Jamali and Home Secretary Waseem attended the meeting.
The committee decided to recruit 8,000 police personnel and extend the Karachi operation to the interior of Sindh and eliminate hideouts of criminals and terrorists.
It resolved to carry out reforms in police and improve the prison system to check activities by criminals from jails.
Sharjeel Memon de-notified as provincial minister, says Moula Bux Chandio after a meeting of the apex committee
Briefing media personnel after the meeting, Adviser to the CM for Information Moula Bux Chandio said the decisions taken by the committee would be implemented strictly.
In reply to a question, he said some terrorists and criminals had escaped to the interior of Sindh to hide there.
He said the committee decided to increase patrol along borders with other provinces and improve coordination between police and other law enforcement agencies to stop infiltration of terrorists.
In reply to another question, Mr Chandio said public prosecutors appointed in the past were not competent enough, so new appointments would be made on merit.
When his attention was drawn to a report that the corps commander expressed concern over lack of reforms in police and said there was no point in attending the meeting if things remained the same, Mr Chandio retorted “how this report reached you when the meeting has just concluded”.
He said the meeting also decided to address all issues which caused unrest and tackle indiscipline.
In reply to a question, he said that Sharjeel Memon had been de-notified as provincial minister for works and services with immediate effect.
Sharjeel Memon had left Karachi in September and had been living in Dubai. According to reports, the Sindh NAB had asked the authorities to initiate inquiry against him for alleged corruption in the information department.
The meeting reviewed security arrangements for Chehlum of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) and local government elections in Karachi on Dec 5. It expressed the hope that the law and order situation would remain under control because of the measures taken by the administration.
The adviser said steps were being taken to make CCTV cameras more effective.
He said the apex committee expressed its sadness over martyrdom of two military police personnel in a terrorist attack in Karachi on Tuesday and offered Fateha.
The meeting expressed determination that such cowardly attacks could not demoralise the nation or law-enforcement personnel.
Published in Dawn, December 3rd, 2015