Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Sindh minister Sharjeel Memon removed

Updated December 02, 2015

Email

Sharjeel Memon previously held the position of the provincial information minister before he was replaced by senior PPP leader Nisar Khuhro. —PPI/File
Sharjeel Memon previously held the position of the provincial information minister before he was replaced by senior PPP leader Nisar Khuhro. —PPI/File

KARACHI: Sindh minister and prominent PPP leader Sharjeel Inam Memon has been dismissed from the post of Minister for Works, Services and Archives on Wednesday.

A notification in this regard has been issued. The notification, dated December 2 reads:

"In exercise of powers conferred under clause 3 of Article 132 of the Constitution, on the recommendation of Sindh CM and approval of Sindh Governor, the status of Sharjeel Inam Memon as Sindh provincial minister is hereby de-notified with immediate effect."

The Sindh minister previously held the position of the provincial information minister before he was replaced by senior PPP leader Nisar Khuhro in July this year.

Memon's portfolio was later reshuffled in August, he continued to hold the portfolio of the archives and local government departments and was given the additional charge of the works and services department.

He has reportedly not been in the country for the past few months with some reports suggesting that he has been living between London and Dubai.

Khuhro said in an interview last week that Memon's name has been included in the exit control list (ECL), adding that he had not been booked in any criminal case.

Read: SHC summons Sharjeel Memon over 'bogus tender approval'

The announcement to sack the provincial minister comes at the conclusion of a five-hour long Sindh apex committee meeting.

Adviser to Chief Minister on Information Maula Bux Chandio while briefing the media after the meeting confirmed that the PPP leader Memon has been stripped off his ministries. "He is a minister no more," Chandio said.

‘Most unwanted minister’

In a report published in the Herald, it was reported that Memon’s name was on top of the list as the most unwanted minister, along with ministers and heads of various provincial departments who were to be removed from their posts because of allegations of corruption against them.

The list was provided by the senior military leadership in an apex committee meeting held earlier in the year, after the Safoora Goth massacre.

The provincial government paid no heed to the report and made only nominal changes, according to Herald’s report.

Later, when the army exerted more pressure on the chief minister for their removal, the Sindh government made nominal changes in the portfolios of ministers and undertook a minor shuffle among senior officials.