BEIRUT: Twin blasts claimed by the self-styled Islamic State (IS) group killed 41 people Thursday on a busy shopping street in southern Beirut, a Hezbollah stronghold, in the worst such attack in years.

More than 200 people were wounded, many of them seriously, said Health Minister Wael Abou Faour at the scene of the explosions, in a narrow shopping street in the Burj al-Barajneh neighbourhood.

The attacks appeared to mark a return to the campaign against Hezbollah strongholds between 2013 and 2014, ostensibly in revenge for the militants' support of regime forces in neighbouring Syria's civil war.

Two men wearing suicide vests carried out the attack, said the army, while the body of a third who had failed to detonate his explosive device was found at the scene of the second blast.

The street in the poor mainly Shia neighbourhood, normally home to a market, was stained red with blood according to an AFP photographer, who saw bodies inside nearby shops.

Surrounding buildings were badly damaged by the blasts and security forces were trying to cordon off the scene and keep people from gathering.

IS claimed the attack, saying its "soldiers" detonated explosives planted on a motorbike on the street, in an online statement.

The statement could not be independently verified, but it followed the usual format of IS claims of responsibility and was circulated on online militant accounts.

The world had ended

Local television stations showed footage of wounded people being carried away by emergency services and civilians.

"I'd just arrived at the shops when the blast went off. I carried four bodies with my own hands, three women and a man, a friend of mine," a man who gave his name as Zein al-Abideen Khaddam told local television.

Another described the sound of the explosions: "When the second blast went off, I thought the world had ended."

The wounded were evacuated to several hospitals in the area, including the Bahman hospital in neighbouring Haret Hreik.

"We've received dozens of wounded people and they're continuing to arrive," a doctor there told AFP.

Lebanese Prime Minister Tammam Salam announced a national day of mourning for Friday, local media reported.

Former premier Saad Hariri, who leads a political bloc opposed to Hezbollah and its allies, called the attack "vile and unjustified".

World leaders also condemned the attack, which French President Francois Hollande called "despicable".

Also read: Beirut art museum reopens to tell a troubled city’s history

The White House offered its condolences for what it described as the "horrific terrorist attacks", vowing that "such acts of terror only reinforce our commitment to support the institutions of the Lebanese state".

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called on Lebanon to "not allow this despicable act to destroy the relative calm that has prevailed in the country over the past year".

Campaign against Hezbollah

The attacks were the deadliest to hit a Hezbollah stronghold since the group entered Syria's civil war in support of President Bashar al-Assad.

Between July 2013 and February 2014, there were nine attacks on Hezbollah throughout Lebanon, mostly claimed by extremist groups.

In the most recent, in the southern suburbs of Beirut in June last year, a suicide car bomb killed a security officer.

Despite ostensibly targeting Hezbollah, the victims of the attacks have been overwhelmingly civilians.

The deadliest in southern Beirut was in 2013, when 27 people were killed by a car bomb in the Rweiss district.

The attacks were claimed by several different groups, but all cited Hezbollah's role in the conflict in Syria.

In early 2013, Hezbollah dispatched fighters to back government forces against an uprising that began with anti-regime demonstrations in March 2011.

Since then, it has become deeply involved in the conflict, deploying fighters throughout the country to bolster Assad's troops on a range of battlefields.

At least 971 Hezbollah fighters have been killed in Syria, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor.

Also read: 37 killed, more than 181 wounded as twin suicide blasts shake Beirut

Opinion

Educating merged districts
Updated 12 Apr 2021

Educating merged districts

The seven merged districts of KP, with a combined population of over five million, do not have a single university.
Greater visibility
12 Apr 2021

Greater visibility

It is not surprising that the custodians of patriarchy are fearful.
Rethinking executions
11 Apr 2021

Rethinking executions

One convict’s fight to escape the gallows exposes the deep flaws in our criminal justice system.

Editorial

Pakistan-India peace
Updated 12 Apr 2021

Pakistan-India peace

Experts note that everything — including Kashmir — can be resolved if there is a will in both capitals.
12 Apr 2021

Child abuse

IN its annual report, the NGO Sahil found that there has been a 4pc increase in documented cases of major crimes...
12 Apr 2021

New tax chief’s task

THE FBR got a new chairman on Friday. Asim Ahmed, a senior IRS officer who was serving as the Board’s IT member...
11 Apr 2021

Dissension within PTI

WITH the dust from the PDM’s implosion still not fully settled, the PTI is now faced with growing dissension from...
11 Apr 2021

Power to arrest

A SUPREME Court verdict announced on Thursday spelled out what might be considered a self-evident truth in any...
11 Apr 2021

Unequal vaccine distribution

IT is in times of crisis that we often see the best — or worst — of humanity. In this regard, the pandemic has...