ISLAMABAD: The capital’s lower court here on Thursday granted bail to the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai attacks, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, against surety bonds worth Rs200,000.
The bail application of Lakhvi was heard in the civil court of Mian Azhar Nadeem, where the counsel, Rizwan Abbasi, argued that his client was wrongly booked in the six years old kidnapping case.
He stated that the case was registered against his client to detain him on the pressure of India after the Anti-Terrorism Court granted him bail following a six-year delay in his trial. He observed that evidence recorded so far was based on hearsay. In response, the judge granted bail to Lakhvi.
When approached, the counsel said the surety bonds would be submitted within three to four days. However, the release of his client was difficult at the moment as he was detained in Adiala Jail under Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) for a month. He may be released after the completion of the time period, he added.
However, the police and capital administration authorities were of the view that there was little chance of Lakhvi being released. His detention may be extended either by issuing another MPO or seeking his custody for investigation into other cases registered against him. They said that any future action would be taken on the directives of the government.
Earlier, the Islamabad High Court had suspended the detention order of Lakhvi after he was detained under Maintenance of Public Order when the Anti-Terrorism Court granted him bail on December 18. A case was registered against him with Golra police station on the charge of kidnapping on December 30 and he was taken into custody by the police from Adiala Jail.
The next day he was produced in the lower court which gave a two-day physical remand. He was then jailed on judicial remand.
Published in Dawn, January 9th, 2015