PESHAWAR, Nov 21: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Pervez Khattak on Thursday condemned the US drone attack in the province’s settled area of Thall, Hangu district and declared the US drone strikes an attack on sovereignty and integrity of the country.
He also demanded Adviser to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz to explain position to
the nation about his recent policy statement that Americans had assured Pakistani government of halting drone strikes.
According to a handout issued here, the chief minister said due to the ill-conceived foreign policy of the federal government, the US drone strikes being continuously carried out in the tribal areas had been extended to settled areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which was an open violation of sovereignty of the country.
He said drone strike was an aggression against Pakistan on part of the US.
Mr Khattak said the drone strikes were a direct attack on the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country and democracy and that the Hangu attack had proved wrong and false all the tall claims of the US about democracy.
He said the drone strikes in the settled areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa were not tolerable anyhow and that it would be deemed as a declaration of war against the democratic government.
The chief minister demanded that the federal government clarify its stand and policy on the issue.
Also in the day, Jamaat-i-Islami, coalition partner of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf, condemned the Hangu drone attack.
A news release issued here said the federal government should order Pakistan Air Fore to shoot down the US drones.
It said the Hangu attack was a clear indication that US drones could carry out attack anywhere in Pakistan.
The release said JI workers would actively participate in the Nov 23 sit-in on Ring Road in Peshawar.
It said JI central general secretary Liaquat Baloch would lead the protest.