23 September, 2014 / Ziqa'ad 27, 1435

Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat

Published Mar 31, 2013 09:55am

Visitors to the Eiffel Tower were evacuated from Paris's iconic monument, following an anonymous phone call Saturday night, March 30, announcing an attack.—Photo by AFP

PARIS: The Eiffel Tower was evacuated on Saturday night after an anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat, police said.  

Nearly 1,400 people were sent away from the tourist attraction following a request from tower operators after the warning, a Paris police official said.

Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs, and set up a security perimeter.

No explosives were found and the site was to be reopened, the official said on condition of anonymity because she wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

French authorities have stepped up counter terrorism measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against Al Qaeda-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings — at least once last year and twice in 2011. The 324-meter (1,063-foot) tower is one of the world's top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

Comments (1) (Closed)


Muhib
Apr 01, 2013 05:39am
April fool....