THIS refers to the article ‘What a country’ by Anjum Niaz (Dawn Magazine, March 3). I would advise the writer to refrain from comparing this country with America. Landing with pockets full of earned dollars, everything and all things seem cheap and readily accessible.

Ask here an average earning man or a woman or a pensioner like me and you would understand what is cheap and affordable and what is unthinkable.

Please try to realise that a rupee is like a dollar for us till it changes colour when travelling to and fro. Imagine what Americans would do to America if they had to pay $470 for a gallon of petrol.

In the good old days, which we often recall, my grandfather purchased a brand new American automobile for Rs1,700 with a money back guarantee within six months if not satisfied. The same vehicles were being sold in America for $2,000 each.

I must also add here that the writer is like a visitor to her own country and what she observes is only a fraction of what we in our day to day life witness and tolerate meekly and perhaps with amusement and sometimes with disgust.

Dictators may come and dictators may go, politicians may come and politicians may go, but we as a freedom-loving nation go on freely frolicking forever.

However, all said and done, we still love this land for all the countries put together.

S. RAYAZ MEHDI Karachi

Anjum Niaz adds: Apart from the scathing personal criticism from the writer, I fully agree with what he says. However he seems to have entirely missed the drift of my argument and is determined to heap all the blame on me for things having gone wrong in Pakistan. I did not land with “pockets full of earned dollars,” as he cryptically asserts. He’s tried to paint me as a wide-eyed ‘foreigner’ who returns to her native land where “everything and all things seem cheap and readily accessible.” Perhaps the writer is mistaking me for someone else with unlimited wealth and privilege. Obviously he has not read my columns in Dawn Magazine where I have been contributing for over 20 years. I am as much a proud Pakistani as he claims to be. A close read of my column would make him appreciate instances that are uplifting

Afghan election: a people’s victory

AFGHAN election, on April 5, was a day of triumph for all Afghans, including women, who played their due role with...

Ending power crisis

Energy resources are the backbone of economic development of any country. Pakistan has been facing the problem of...

Waste-to-energy

THIS is apropos Khunsha Khalid’s letter ‘Waste-to-energy’ (March 28) and mixed comments thereon by some...

CCI and Sindh

THE Chamber of Commerce and Industries’ meeting was recently held at which Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif tried to...

Comments are closed.

Comments (10)

Qureshi
March 11, 2013 7:20 am
Pakistan is what it's citizens have made it. As usual instead of accepting this and trying to improve most Pakistani just defend their country a country that has completely failed because of its own citizens
Osman
March 11, 2013 9:38 am
Rayaz Mehdi, please do not be too emotional. The country is crumbling and reeking of people who cannot see much further than religion and cannot take an iota of constructive criticism. Anjum Niaz's observations are in order. Take heed please by not voting the unworthy leader. Right now some countries in Africa look like paradise in comparison.
g.a shirazi
March 11, 2013 5:01 pm
Even if Anjum brought a bunch of dollars to Pakistan, she will be poor within no time. It happens to all the time.
intazar ali
March 12, 2013 3:28 am
dear osman we pakistani people dont see religion religion teaches us all good things but unfortunately we dont understand religion and its importance we are muslims by chance not by choice please i will request you to study religion thoroughly and try to practice it not blame it.
faraziirfan@yahoo.com
March 11, 2013 3:02 pm
I have read Miss Anjum Niaz's columns atleast 10 times. I found them to be totally useless, either telling us about what America is or telling stories of her meet ups with big guns. Who cares what she does, where and how she is spending her time. BTW, the last time I read her article was around 2010. Total wastage of time.
Tariq K Sami
March 11, 2013 11:00 pm
Rayaz Mehdi please do not judge too harshly. Pakistan is confronting problems that are far bigger than Rupee to Dollar rates. No one can see more than those who travel or live abroad. Pakistan is an obsession for those who have gone far away and hope to return. "As one who sits ashore and longs perchance to visit the dolphin corrals in the deep sea."
Bbbb
March 11, 2013 10:57 pm
I fully agree with Anjum Niaz. She has been writing columns for a long time - but always with an American perspective, and usually about USA - titled - (something - I forgot) from USA.
Imran Jiwani
March 11, 2013 1:49 pm
Wow. I am really pleased to see the writer has replied to this letter. In many cases I have seen no one is even bothered to reply. So good for that. Secondly I will add here that many Pakistanis say they are proud Pakistani, I really dont understand what are we proud of. Does that mean I dont love Pakistan? No. I simply love Pakistan but sadly there are very few things to be proud of and over all I am ashamed of being Pakistani. This is a country which had PIA as the top airline of the world and look at it now. Its like when my son grows up and starts his career in politics. Will I stop loving him? No. Will I be proud of him??? Well....What do you think? :)
Mohinder
March 12, 2013 1:36 am
One should never lose heart. Nothing is lost. It is a question re-educating the people and the government has to play a major part. People need to vote in a party that will deliver.
Kaffir
March 12, 2013 5:09 pm
Yes Mohinder yes. let us form a party FIRST , which we do not have :-))
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons