He was only 12-years old, full of life and promise. But that was on Sunday. Monday morning Murtaza Haider and his father, Dr Syed Ali Haider, were shot dead in a targeted attack by militants in an elite neighbourhood of Lahore.

Dr Ali Haider was a professor and the chair of the Ophthalmology Department at Lahore General Hospital. He was shot six times in the face, head, and other parts of his body. The learned doctor and his family had no enemies, yet the father and son were guilty of a cardinal sin in Pakistan. They were Shias.

Dr Haider was driving Murtaza to school Monday morning when two armed militants intercepted their vehicle and sprayed it with bullets. The police believe that their unprovoked murders were carried out by sectarian extremists.

This is what has become of Pakistan: Shia doctors, lawyers, parliamentarians, and children are being hunted down in the streets of large urban centres like Lahore, Karachi, and Peshawar. At the same time, Shia labourers, daily wage earners, street hawkers, and pilgrims travelling to Iran are taken off buses and shot in cold blood. And then there is indiscriminate bombings of Shia mosques and other gathering places.

In Quetta’s Hazara town, fear rules the streets. Mothers do not want their children to leave homes. Wives dread the thought of their husbands becoming another statistic in the never ending sectarian warfare declared on Shia Hazaras. I spoke with my cousin in Hazara Town and asked about how people were coping. He told me of a community under siege and numb by fear and pain.

Those who work for the government and live in Hazara Town do not go to work anymore. They are confined to their homes. The admin staff drops files at their homes in the morning and collects the same files later in the afternoon. Hazara Town has in fact become an open prison for many. The less fortunate ones still have to venture out of the town and risk death at every corner.

Needless to say, Pakistan can use some doctors, especially surgeons. Every doctor counts in Pakistan where there is less than one doctor per 1,000 people. Thus, killing them in cold blood does not make much sense for the welfare of ordinary Pakistanis. Dr Ali Haider was a renowned eye surgeon whose skilled and compassionate hands had restored the vision of countless patients. Dr Ali Haider had an unrivalled medical pedigree. He was the only son of another renowned surgeon and a professor of King Edward Medical University (KEMU), Dr Syed Zafar Haider. Dr Tahira Haider, his mother, also taught at KEMU, and his sister is also a medical doctor and an academic.

Dr Zafar Haider in his old age has to mourn the death of his son and grandson. While some may try to create doubts about the motives of the killers, Dr. Zafar Haider has no doubts. “My son has been killed for being a Shia and a dedicated follower of the Holy Prophet,” the grieving doctor told Dawn.

Earlier in the week, I wrote in the same space urging Shias of Quetta and Peshawar to either relocate to Lahore and Karachi, or better to seek asylum abroad. Many in their comments on Dawn’s website disagreed and accused me of caving in to the terrorists. Many expressed their commitment to strike back at the sectarian murderers. I am neither that naive nor that brave. The murder of Dr Haider and young Murtaza in fact further reinforces my belief that the life and property of Shias in Pakistan is no longer safe.

I also know that the State apparatus, including the police, intelligence agencies, and the courts, is incapable of arresting and convicting those involved in the guerilla warfare against the State using Shias as a target. Even when they are arrested, the courts failed to convict the sectarian terrorists. And while valiant police officers, such as SSP Ashraf Marth, laid their lives in pursuing militants, the courts could still not convict the alleged. Why? The three key eye witnesses in SSP Marth’s case, all police officers, recanted their earlier statements that implicated the accused. It is therefore, no surprise that some elements of the State have capitulated and were subsidising the families of the alleged sectarian militants while they were under arrest.

A few hours earlier at Toronto’s Nathan Phillips Square, I joined a few dozen protesters who had gathered yet again to protest the recent murder of Shia Hazaras in Quetta. It was only last month that a similar impromptu protest brought several hundred Pakistanis in Toronto to the same place where they protested the death of Shia Hazaras who were killed on January 10. Unlike the last time, the crowd in Toronto was much smaller and the sloganeering had a distinct defeatist tone. It appears that many had resigned to the fact that sectarian terrorism cannot be stopped in Pakistan.

Dr Syed Ali Haider spent his life restoring vision to those who could not see. In the end, he and his son, Murtaza  Haider, were murdered by those blinded by sectarian hatred. Now it is up to the State to prove that it can deliver justice to the grieving family. Otherwise, the Haider family has no reason to stay in Pakistan and cure the very people who want to murder them.

Murtaza Haider is a Toronto-based academic and the director of Regionomics.com.

He tweets @regionomics

More From This Author

john
Feb 20, 2013 03:48pm
First you advise them to either go to Lahore or move abroad. Now you say Lahore is not safe. You seem to be pretty intent on driving them out of the country.
I. Kamal
Feb 20, 2013 03:38pm
The only hope for Pakistan is for the Army to take over power once again, and this time start with a real clean up of the extremist and corrupt elements. The Army is the only organization free from sectarian bias and capable of delivering the goods.
akoi
Feb 21, 2013 05:30am
What is the reason for these secterians to kill Shias? Can't Shias have their own militia to avenge the killings of their race or to fight thier rights?
Arif
Feb 21, 2013 05:52am
Killing is a bad act, period, shia or no shia. Its pathetic how the govt has kept a closed eye, not doing anything about the situation. What do these killers want for God sakes man?????
Feb 21, 2013 11:32am
So true.
DS
Feb 21, 2013 06:07am
jaan bachane wale ki jaan le li....kaun si kitab main likha hai yeh sab
sri1ram
Feb 21, 2013 03:38am
Durust baat hain. Par asal mein woh jaanwar das maarte hain, to hum mushkil se ek bhi maar paate hain. May reason and logic prevail!
Mehmud Ahmed(Brampton-Canada)
Feb 21, 2013 05:09am
In his column while Prof: Haider has spoken about the 'unrivalled medical pedigree' of Dr Ali Haider Shaheed saying that his father, mother and sister were also doctors, he has not mentioned about his in laws. Dr Haider Shaheed's father in law was Prof. Dr Iftikhar Ali Raja, a Neurologist of international repute who was a visiting professor at the Nishtar Medical college of Multan. The family lost him in the crash of the PIA's Fokker at the Multan Airport in 2006. Mrs Ali Haider who also is a neurologist now looks after her late father's Private Clinic on the Zafar Ali Khan Road on the Canal Bank. His mother in law, Mrs Najma Iftikhar Raja is a well known writer. Her last book that I saw in 2005 was an account of the twilight months of the Soviet Union as she had accompanied her husband to Moscow where he had read a paper on his speciality at an International medical conference. And if I remember correctly Najma inherited her writing interests from her mother who was one of the few female fiction writers of mid-20th century.
Mustaq Abdullah
Feb 21, 2013 04:28am
Why is there not a 1 week long strike in Karachi, Lahore, Pindi, Hyderabad, Peshawar? All Muslims, Shia and Sunni vocally come out on the streets. In fact, we the Sunnis, with our politicians and our Mullahs should demand it. If our Mullahs and masjid Imam's do not support it ... skip the Friday prayer. Let all Mosques be empty this Friday. This resistance to religious bigotry is far greater than any prayer.
irony
Feb 20, 2013 03:34pm
India is spreading terrorism in pakistan
GhostRider
Feb 21, 2013 04:00am
I have the same sentiments but this civilized behaviour is the mark of Shia brethen (sunnis too) and this is what separate us from these freaks.
Abbas
Feb 20, 2013 03:48pm
It make sense to relocate somewhere. However, best option is to defend onself if the STATE is unable to do so.
sanatirmazee
Feb 20, 2013 03:40pm
While I agree with every word, I would however like to disagree with "The murder of Dr Haider and young Murtaza in fact further reinforces my belief that the life and property of Shias in Pakistan is no longer safe." Nobody's life or property is safe in today's Pakistan. The belligerent forces have succeeded in achieving what they had intended to.
Mirza Imran Ahsan
Feb 21, 2013 06:02am
As an Ahmadi and a Pakistani I am deeply hurt to see a high calibre professional killed so barbarically together with his young son causing a little more darkness in my beloved but doomed country. I doubt that our rulers will be provoked to take any meaningful action. Taliban, Lashkar Jhangvi, Anti Shia and Anti Ahmadi groups are all infact Anti Pakistani in nature. The military must take notice and initiate an operation to shut down these outfits in the real sense. Every such news plunges the country further to the bottomless pit of darkness.
pathanoo
Feb 21, 2013 03:23am
Taj, your last sentence is the TRUTH.
naim ur rehman
Feb 21, 2013 04:36am
May Allah provide solace to the bereaved families Ameen.I am unable to find words to even condemn this heinous crime, this country was not created by our elders for the blood thirsty religious monsters
Olivia
Feb 20, 2013 03:54pm
Condolences to the famliy may God,Bhagwan and Allah in HIS infinite mercy grant them strength to bear this.
Nobluc
Feb 21, 2013 02:27am
This is what we have come to.... "No remorse, no repent, They don't care, what they meant. Another day, another death, another sorrow, another breath."
Imtiaz Faruqui
Feb 20, 2013 03:34pm
Religon has yet to play its game. The destruction of mankind.
Tanvir
Feb 20, 2013 05:32pm
Religion came in this world to remove hatred and to create fear of God for punishment on our bad deeds specially injustice to anyone. We have been totally misguided and forgot the basis of our religion. I denounce this act of Jaihalat. I do not call myself sunni or shia but simply Muslim. We should not provide any reason such as cults or sects for ignorant or illiterates or to our enemies to cultivate hatred and indulge in crime along such silly divisions.
vijayIndia
Feb 21, 2013 04:33am
We will vote for Modi
Feb 20, 2013 03:40pm
Apologist. Avoiding the truth has led us into the sorry state that we are currently in.
Ganesh (India)
Feb 20, 2013 04:16pm
Pakisthan is going towards to endless pit. Anything could happen there in next 0-15 years if society does not wake up now and act...
Haider
Feb 21, 2013 04:24am
I heard Khawaja Asif make a comment the other day on a talk show. He said that maybe the 180 million people in this country don't know this but the founder of our country Muhammad Ali Jinnah was Shia. If the man who we call the Quaid-e-Azam is Kafir and wajib ul qatal then this country is bound to fail. I remember reading in our text books how we lost East Pakistan. The way my parents generation stood silent to the atrocities committed against the Bengalis is shameful to say the least. It saddens me to see the same happening to the Shias now. I hope that we can gather the courage to speak up against this injustice. Otherwise, God forbid I fear we may lose what is left of Pakistan.
Rafiq
Feb 21, 2013 04:12am
The Shias in other countries including India are safe compared to Pakistani Shias . The only solution for Shias to live safely in Pakistan region is to demand and fight for a separate nation. USA , Iraq, Iran and all other western countries should help the Pakistani Shias in this cause. Otherwise the Taliban and other Terrorist organizations will create more havoc in the days to come.
Mehmud Ahmed(Brampton-Canada)
Feb 21, 2013 10:26pm
Mr Rahim this is being naive, rather ridiculous. Do you mean that we will keep on killing each other if Kashmir problem remains suspended. Then India will love to defy the world opinion and never agree to a solution. This is primary class thinking. In that case Pakistanis will continue to suffer gas shut down and power shedding, black marketing, drones, Bhatta Khouri and smuggling and black mail by the diesel Mullahs. This is a good excuse for Rahman Malik for his failure.
Haseeb
Feb 20, 2013 04:02pm
You make me sad......
MBA
Feb 20, 2013 04:03pm
I care and I am not Shia! We care and all of us are not Shias. WE SHOUL CARE - because we are human beings!
GhostRider
Feb 21, 2013 03:58am
and this sentence relieve you off your responsibility to do something about it....in essence your sentence sends this message to shias>> "just hand in there it will be over soon, keep burying the your children as somebody has to pay the price of extremism
LarryAt27N
Feb 21, 2013 04:22am
How come there are no fatwas to condemn these attacks?
DeadManTalking
Feb 20, 2013 04:16pm
All of us have died with Little Murtaza, so how can we care?
Ahmed
Feb 21, 2013 04:36am
All this happens under the nose of the security/intelligence agencies. They are quite capable but it is their inaction because they share the ideology common to them and Lej.
Varun
Feb 20, 2013 04:16pm
I am from south of India (chennai) and i really feel sad to read this news. Being a hindu, I dont know much about reasons for this sectarian violence in Islam which is currently happening in Pakistan. Anyways my heart goes out to the family of the victim whose only guilt is to serve his nation after coming out in flying colours in UK. R.I.P
akoi
Feb 21, 2013 05:33am
Quite agree!
nadeem zaidi
Feb 20, 2013 04:15pm
Pakistan is a not a place for shias especially doctors so get assylm ant where in the world i promise it will better than our Islamic republic
sajid absar
Feb 21, 2013 04:01am
I agree with dr.haider that shias of pakistan should move to safer places. There is no place for minorities in pakistan,as we muslims have very little tolerance for other faiths. I hope canadian government will consider taking some shia hazaras as refugees from pakistan.
Lion King
Feb 20, 2013 02:05pm
indeed very sad, my dear friends you have lost a gem of a man. RIP Murtaja... I mourn your loss.
Indusonian
Feb 21, 2013 03:52am
If the motherland is hostage to foreign plans towards disintegration via those who call the shots in Pakistan, then, I would say Pakistan deserved to be banished from the face of this earth. We have become one of the most despicable nations on this earth, we lost part of our country and learned not a a single lesson, the ominous journey continued, the whole nation is asleep, unable to decipher what is going around them.
Samiya
Feb 20, 2013 02:06pm
I think it is important to realise that the root of this unfortunate violence is not a war between Sunnis and Shias, or Pushtuns and Hazaras. That is just the cruel manifestation of a much more insidious reality, a reality which will continue to throw up further violence, hatred and mayhem as long as it exists. The reality of unequal distribution of wealth in our villages, towns, cities, provinces, country, and the entire world. Unless we don't put all our energies towards ensuring the eradication of wealth, we can never eradicate poverty, and the concommitant evils of class resentment, sectarian extremism, violence, hatred, xenophobia...
bkt
Feb 21, 2013 04:46am
Migration is not a solution
john
Feb 20, 2013 03:47pm
Yes, by a "Foreign Hand".
Rashid Sultan
Feb 20, 2013 03:47pm
All professional and qualified shias in Pakistani cities should emigrate to Lucknow, home to Shias of the sub continent where they can live in peace in the diverse and tolerant society of an ancient syncretic shia centre.
Shakil
Feb 21, 2013 05:04am
this news was broken to me by my nephew who is class fellow of murdered boy along with his father, on one side i was trying to make him feel safe over the phone. But it was really painful to heard this news and thinking about our young ones are exposed to such terror incidents and terms like "target killing"! No doubt there are plans for Pakistan to destabilise it from within by inciting hate among Shia Sunni, Muslim Christian. Enemies always plans, its our duty to expose, punish and fail their mission.
Susan
Feb 21, 2013 03:41am
Sonali, I am an Indian and reading your comment. Indeed, there are many of us who will vote for a party that respects different faiths and seperates the governance of the State from religion. And in my mind that is not Mr Modi.
Karachi Wala
Feb 20, 2013 03:48pm
I agree with you but at the same time, I wonder who are those putting thumbs down for the comment you made?
Himanshu
Feb 21, 2013 04:03am
What has this to do with religion? Most of the comments I read here talk about Islam allowing this or that and not allowing other stuff. Or how someone was a good fellow, because he did so many things for "muslims". Why? Why such Islam-centric myopic view? Isn't humanity a better deal? And do you need a book to tell you that? If yes, you probably deserve what you are getting. Things are going to deteriorate much further, unless Pakistanis (and Indian muslims alike) like you take off the "green" tinted glasses.
dd
Feb 21, 2013 04:21am
If Allah does everything then what's the need for you to be born?
Abuzar
Feb 21, 2013 06:23am
Two wrongs does not make one right. if one accepts what you say, than forget about good friends in communities, sects. why should i leave my good shia, sunni friends. and by the end Quote of Hazrat Ali death will come to you neither one second before not after, so say what is right do what is right. Now, Families who lost their loved ones in sectarian killings, for them i cant say anything.
N.C.Kar
Feb 21, 2013 04:27am
This is complete barbaric. cannot anybody see the boy's cute face. how could these beasts kill the boy? it is the example : how hatred has been infused in Pakistani blood. Religion fundamentalist can not live peacefully but only desire of peace in after life. Mad.
Ather
Feb 20, 2013 01:49pm
I did not know Dr Ali Haider or his family personally. I am not a Shia. Yet my wife and I sat last night, crying over the picture of Murtaza Haider. My wife said, "I just want to go and embarce his mother, but what will I say to her?' What can anyone say to her or the families of all those innocents killed by this blinding hate. Some of us are even afraid to shed tears for them, let alone stand up against the terrorist thugs. This is my country, my homeland, where the death screams of the innocents are drowned out by the deafening silence of our media who is so afraid to even name the ideology that perpetrates this savagery. We are all in it. The police and the judges conspire to free the few who are arrested and tried. On TV we have the apologists for these terrorists (they are our brothers!!!, or it is America) and the sickening hypocrisy of the politicians like Sharif brothers and Imran Khan making gurgling noises while sharing a bed with these murderers. And the government, oh the government, they don't even pretend to care anymore. It is not their job to sort this out. They just have to survive and be reday for the next game of "Politieecs". Poor Hazarans! They want the army to take over. Don't they know that these terrorists are considered "strategic assets" by many in our intelligence agencies and their ideological brothers preach from every pulpit in the army mosques about the Holy Jihad against the infidels.
marium
Feb 21, 2013 04:30am
Until then monority groups should continue suffering from a calculated genocide? good solution.
Maateri
Feb 21, 2013 11:54pm
The country is doomed and the quicker Allah SWT destroys it the better
Malik
Feb 20, 2013 03:35pm
In pakistan , you need a gun, body guard, bullet proof vest and bullet proof car to survive.
Puneet
Feb 21, 2013 10:14pm
so, who exactly the enemy here? India?
Khurram
Feb 21, 2013 04:17am
Pakistan's biggest problem is Kashmir. Once that is solved government can look after other issues. People must have patience.
H.M.Parekh
Feb 21, 2013 05:46am
Religion has done more harm to humanity than the war. Why don't we keep religion at home. Inhuman people want to us to suffer for their inhuman acts. They want first to devide people basis religion. Than cast and sub casts. Let us all be only humans. RELIGION IS YOUR PERSONEL MATTER.PL KEEP IT AT HOME. Let us convert all temples ,Mosques ,churches in to schools were everything can be taught but not religion.
Kolsat
Feb 21, 2013 01:24am
Your comparison of Modi to these murderers of Shias is way out of line. Daily killings of any one do not happen in Modi's Gujarat as they happen in Pakistan, a country whose religion is supposed to be one of peace. What happens in Pakistan daily gives a lie to Islam being a religion of peace.
Haider
Feb 21, 2013 04:10am
Thank you for opening our eyes by stating the obvious! If you know its planned then what is stopping our security agencies from preventing these acts? Furthermore, why are they afraid of taking against the leadership of these banned outfits?
Syed
Feb 20, 2013 02:17pm
So sad - such a tragedy - Dear Murtaza I wish that it was possible for all shia-muslims to leave Pakistan and settle else where. Moving to Karachi or Lahore doesn't make them any safer either. I hope the Govt. of Pakistan would take appropriate actions to stop mass killing of us. I highly doubted if they will -
Manjee
Feb 21, 2013 02:35am
I'm so shocked to hear this....to tell you the truth, when I read the headline, I thought there must be some other reason the Doctor was killed, like a property dispute or so...I did not believe it was simply because he was a Shia, but after what you wrote, I have to accept it. I'm so sorry to hear about your family, please stay safe.
ahmed41
Feb 20, 2013 01:55pm
Is leaving the country the correct answer ???
Feb 20, 2013 06:27pm
We all know the answer, don;t we?
pathanoo
Feb 21, 2013 03:15am
And then they came for me and there was NO ONE LEFT to speak up for me.
Feroz
Feb 20, 2013 01:38pm
The New York Times had front page writeup about the massacre in Quetta. Thank you Murtaza for writing about the individual victims of religious extremism, as the incidences involving individual victims are rarely reported in the world press. I would still respectfully disagree with you about your suggestion of mass migration of Shias out of Pakistan. If today Shias leave, tomorrow, we will be arguing about some other ethnic or religious minority to go into self-exile, and then some other. No one should be suggested to leave his or her motherland. As you so justly pointed out that it is the incompetency of our legal, law enforcement and justice system that has failed our communities, if anything, they are the ones that should be taken to task, and not the victims of their ineffectualness.
Jabeen
Feb 20, 2013 01:48pm
Additionally, Dr. Ali's mom, Dr. Tahira was also my teacher and so was his father-in-law, Dr. Raja (late). I also worked as an Intern with Dr. Raja. This feels like a personal loss!
Thabo Makeleni [ Perth, Australia]
Feb 20, 2013 01:53pm
FAILED STATE - You can have the best nuclear arsenal but if you cannot protect your citizens from being murdered by their fellow citizens than you might as well throw in the towel and let anarchy rule supreme.My heart "bleed" for Pakistan. What would Muhammad Ali Jinnah make of today's Pakistan ?
Gujesh
Feb 21, 2013 02:44am
Yes, Shias owe an explanation
Syed Husain
Feb 21, 2013 02:41am
Some day, we will realize how evil our actions have been. We may forget, but the Almighty knows all and sees all. He will have no mercy on the people who have caused pain and harm to other human beings.
Ahmed
Feb 21, 2013 03:38pm
I know that Shias are on the hit list right now...and my heart goes out to them...but i would still like to point out that in Pakistan no religious minority is safe...whether they are Christians, Hindus, or Ahmadis... I hope that Allah grants strength to the grieving family...to kill innocent people is an act of sheer evilness...
Ali
Feb 20, 2013 01:53pm
One of my family relative shia doctor use to treat poor patients for free was killed in his house in lahore for the same reason that he was a shia. Most of my family has left Pakistan and I am in the process of leaving as well. Its pointless to stay in a place where I know my children will be harassed and murdered because they are shia. One day I hope there is harmony and peace and we can return because home is a home.
Saud Bajwa
Feb 20, 2013 01:55pm
As I already know a distinguished Haider family who had to flee the country back in nineties violence of similar kind. They were also in a life time public service of caring for all irrespective of their socioeconomic status or religious beliefs. So did it stop another Haider family becoming a victim of an identical carnage? No. Today it's not a matter of whether your are a 'Haider" or whatnot. We all have turned into a defeatist society where insensitivity,callousness and cowardliness of good has surrendered to evil. Today, as I am not "Haider", I feel that I am safe despite sitting in midst of bleeding ruins. But for how long? If you can't see Iraq,Syria, perhaps they are on the other side of the horizon, then please have a look at Karachi. Wake up Lahore...Wake up Pakistan.. as what goes around comes around!!
veverka
Feb 21, 2013 02:24am
What a sad story! What type of human are these people who only believe in killing. State should act because society becomes poor with such mindless killings
Abdullah Hussain
Feb 20, 2013 01:49pm
Even a sea full of tears cannot wash clean the guilt of those responsible. May the extreme wrath of ALLAH fall on them & we witness their agony. Words cannot describe these animals of the worst order. I am a sunni Muslim but I cannot describe my feelings about this animal act. May Allah reward the dead with the best of bests & punish the wrong doer.
Jim
Feb 20, 2013 12:52pm
First they came for Pandits, and you did not protest. Then they came for Ahmadis, and you did not protest. Then they killed Christians, and you were still silent....
Ehsan
Feb 21, 2013 12:27am
First it was the Ahmadi's, now Shias and then it will be anyone, who doesn't look, talk or dress like them.
Omaiz
Feb 21, 2013 01:56am
Avid follower of your blog, and i have to say that please keep up the good work. As a Pakistani Shia living in Toronto, i feel for our brothers in pakistan but i am more angry at the complacency of the political parties of Pakistan, as well as the lack of outrage amongst the pakistani populace. It appears that the politicians and the populace are providing the space/cover for these assassinations and genocide to take place. I will be visiting Karachi in March but i wont dare venture out to different localities.
LOL
Feb 21, 2013 01:26am
Constitution of Pakistan has been shredded. Law requires that the President and Prime Minister of Pakistan be indited for irresponsible conduct, incompetense, and treason against the people and the Constitution of Pakistan. These circumstances demand that the CJ must take Suo moto if the Senate is failing to do so. That is where the publics attention be focused not roiting in the steerts.
Feb 20, 2013 06:09pm
I agree with your sentiments and your thoughts. However, the policy on terrorism is outside the jurisdiction of the Government of Pakistan.
NDChawla
Feb 20, 2013 12:54pm
I am perplexed by the silence of Muslim community all over the world on the atrocities heaped on Shias. May be, in Pakistan, other communities are under fear of extremists. But why Indian Muslim community is not speaking against Shia killing in Pakistan. And the silence of Shias in Kashmir is also not understandable. They protested when lives of Muslims in Burma were threatened. What stops them from speaking up now. They must introspect and force Pakistan Government to take effective steps to protect Shias.
Mansoor
Feb 21, 2013 01:18am
Needless to say that Pakistanis are reaping the crop of religious polarization sowed by so called Ameerul Momineen (Siah ul Haq). It will take another 30 years to go back to the same level where it started. And I don't see any statesman on the political landscape of Pakistan with a caliber of putting this derailed state back on track. Sadly so but apparently it is bound to sink further and further. These politicians have failed to provide the protection to ordinary law abiding citizens but on the other hand they are building bomb proof houses with a foolish sense of security. One can imagine how long and how many fortresses can you build. It is just matter of time when everything will eventually fall apart. May Allah bless our nation and give them sense and courage to stand up against the actors of state.
Mansoor
Feb 21, 2013 01:36am
Murtaza -- You are doing a wonderful job creating awareness of these atrocities committed by religious fanatics. I feel ashamed to associate these people with Holy Prophet of Islam pbuh who was Rahmatul Aalimeen. Quran tells us that terminating one innocent life is like killing all mankind. I wonder who they follow and what they preach apart from hatred, was this the Uswah of Rasoolullah? My deepest sympathies for Haider family, May Allah enable them to bear this irreparable loss. Inna lillah e wa innah ilehe rajeoon.
Raoul Ciao
Feb 21, 2013 03:47pm
all heartfelt condolences for the grieving grandparents, grieving mother and wife of Dr haider and Murtuza. This is v v sad. The saddest is this - people writing on this blog with no human feelings that they are upset at the killers of this young child and his father because they will now allow West and others to call the religion of peace a religion of terror. is your humanity so dead that all you can think of is your religion and pride? You can say not a word to the grieving mothers the widow, the grand father etc etc? is this all you can do - worry that your religion got "bad PR" from this act? Are you completely jahill and out of your mind to not anymore worry about humans, but ONLy about the religion? What has happened to you, o blog commenters?????
HolmesNotWatson
Feb 21, 2013 01:16am
Under the circumstances it is reasonable to assume that he was targeted because he was Shiaa. However, proof is required if sanity is to prevail. Educated people should hold themselves to a higher standard...empirical, not emotional. The author, who should know better, knows better, is running with his emotions. This though sad, is undersandable. Forgivable. Forensic evidence exists that provides 100% proof that at times the SAME weapons and similar ammo was used to shoot Sunnis as well as Shiaas. And it goes without saying that very many multiples of Sunnies have been murdered as compared to Shiaas. It is just not highlighted in the media. Thus it would be equally unfair and unscientific to postulate that Sunnies are systematically being murdered by Shiaas. Any death diminishes all. I have sufficent evidence to state that agent-provocateurs initiate ignite the emotions by such shootings and than emotions bigotry, racisim, prejudice, demagoguery, hate, anger, grief, sorrow, retribution, revenge, chaos, always riding under the surface, rise like scum to the top. Education is the steady rock, bastion of sanity and hope in the chaos and storm of emotion. Chose sanity and empiric analysis. The good doctor should take deep breaths and not stir emotions further. Let law and justice take its course. Let wisdom ride the storm, quell the tide. Peace.
karim
Feb 20, 2013 01:36pm
Army, ISI, police, FC, govt all are impotent. Pakistani state is taking taxes from citizens and delivering nothingi n return.
Zafar
Feb 20, 2013 12:50pm
There is Nothing in this world that can replace a good Son like Ali Haider & Grandson (Murtaza) . I cant even imagine the pain, all of the family is going throw specially parents . What happened in Lahore and What Happened in Quetta made me Cry , There is nothing in Islam which says we should kill innocent people special Children. Dr Ali Haider helped so many other Muslims around them regardless of they being Sunni or Shia .I have heard about his great efforts from so many people and specially about his humble nature with all his patients , students and co-workers. What evil person can kill a man and his son who has done so much for a society to make it better. Its unbelievable how barbaric animals we all have turned into that we dont even see what we are doing or going to do. Dr Ali Haider/Murtaza deaths will always be remembered until we all together bring the killers and there organization to an end inshAllah with or without this poor government & security agencies.
Feb 20, 2013 06:05pm
While the blame definitely on Zia
commoner
Feb 20, 2013 12:44pm
Govt needs to step up or step down. I am really surprised that the non-Shia religious leaders and politicians haven't really properly condemned the on going massacre. Another disappointment was the protest which needed support from other ordinary Pakistanis and religious leaders. If we keep on this path this could be the picture of your kid tomorrow if sectarian based killers are not tackled right now.
Imran
Feb 20, 2013 12:54pm
Terrorist Not Militant
Dr Salman (Sydney)
Feb 20, 2013 01:56pm
No words are enough to condemn what happened to Haiders and Hazaras. Then again, some day Sindhis are slaughtered, some day Balochs are butchered, some day Muhajirs are murdered, some day Pathans are plundered, some day Christians are crucified, some day Ahmedis are annihilated. There should be a better solution than leaving the country, I guess.
pro bono publico
Feb 20, 2013 12:50pm
in the wave of hatred we have gone blind and there is no cure of it(unfortunately),except blaming someone else i.e.foriegn elements or any conspiracy theory.
Jabeen
Feb 20, 2013 01:37pm
No amount of condemnation is enough for this barbarism .. I pray the perpetrators are treated in like by Allah (swt) .. because all this shameless government can do is some more corruption. Dr. Ali's dad, Dr. Zafar Haider was my teacher in Nishtar Medical College (Multan) and his sister was my class-fellow there. My deepest condolences!
asad khan
Feb 20, 2013 05:35pm
i am Sunni and hate those who done this act. I lived and grow up with shia brothers. Those are all. We are all targets of these terrorists. Allah save my brothers and my Pakistan.
Saleem Kazmi
Feb 21, 2013 12:30am
We are Sorry!
Avtar
Feb 20, 2013 01:37pm
Touching article. But move to where? Saudi Arabia or Iran? or are you thinking of a country in the West! This family might have migrated to Pakistan from India! Shias have to find a place of their own in Pakistan.
SMA
Feb 20, 2013 12:29pm
What can I say, nothing to left for these barbarian people. The people thing that they only attacked Shia community & after the wash out, all the other faith people face the happy ending like film, but sorry to say the other sectarian will be face the same wolves because people whose follow them are Muslims & other are non-Muslims. Thanks again to Zia-Ul-haque.
Manjee
Feb 21, 2013 02:38am
Sonali, the best thing about India is, religion is kept separate from politics. As far as that Modi is concerned, remember, there is such a thing called Karma, he will pay for his sins.
Zain Raza
Feb 20, 2013 12:42pm
Two of my relatives have been shot in Lahore recently, one female a mother of two toddlers was shot on her way to school. She was a teacher. The other is a lawyer, he survived after being hit by 11 bullets. their crime was being shia
Zain Raza
Feb 20, 2013 12:37pm
Keep it up Murtaza. We need voices like yours.
sonali
Feb 20, 2013 12:33pm
I come from a country grappling with similar problems.If there are any Indians reading this blog..i urge them to think before voting next year. Will we vote in prophets of doom and hatred?There is a real possibility of voting in Modi.Where will we go then??
Ali Haider
Feb 20, 2013 06:31pm
There is no use of Murtaza voice because it is going on deaf ears Pakistan is failed state and the society & culture is no civilized. There is one law in Pakistan Law of Jungle
Pramod
Feb 22, 2013 11:21am
its not western media which has given Islam this name. It's the follower of Islam who did it. No one has a goal against Islam. Just think why they are not writing against any other religion,It's deed of the followers through which non believer in that faith understand that religion.
Help Me
Feb 21, 2013 02:44pm
May be yes, but who are the tools ???
syed shahid
Feb 20, 2013 10:33pm
My heart goes out for the victims family. Sooo tragic. But what is more tragic is that this is not first time and they are not first victims of such inhumane attack. But having said that, I want to say that this and all such events although appear to be simple case of 'sectarian violence' MUST NOT be seen as such. It may only be just related to sectarian violence, or may be a serious conspiracy. I only warn our nation to look deeper and further than just blaming it as sectarian violence. Please. Specialy for the authorities, don't just throw this case and all others out the window into history and move on, rather take it seriously and find the culprits, then find the chain of conspirators, internal, external, or whoever involved. I hate when they say this was done by extremists and then completely forget about it as it was never a crime and never ocurred.
asad raza
Feb 20, 2013 05:54pm
i have to leave Pakistan because it is not my country any more
Pakistani
Feb 20, 2013 01:42pm
if you desert your country in a difficult time, you do not deserve to be called a Pakistani. our shia brothers are brave and they will fight this out. WE will survive this period. PAKISTAN will survive this period.
Xeroxus
Feb 20, 2013 10:27pm
May the police and judiciary protect us too
Shahzadi
Feb 21, 2013 03:27pm
The helplessness that I feel reading such stories, I can not even put into words. Where to begin? What to do? Who is responsible? I dont think the innocents are killed in the name of religion, not always, but its made to look like that. "Divide and conquer" Why must religion come into everything? Humanity has to take its due place before we all drown into highly campaigned and over used word, "Terrorist" by US. Politics, power and greed is the biggest religion for some. The ones who kill for money are also trapped into it for life. The question is how can we bring change? What can we do as individuals? HELP
M Baloch
Feb 20, 2013 03:28pm
I can't stop my tears..!
Tufal
Feb 20, 2013 10:06pm
No words can explain the depths to which the state of Pakistan has fallen. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are foreign anti state elements behind the sectarian killings but its so unfortunate to see how easily and successful they are executing their plans in a Pakistan where they have no problems finding people to kill innocent people in the name of religion.
MJ
Feb 20, 2013 03:24pm
Who in their right minds can give the comment above a thumbs down?
john
Feb 21, 2013 03:24pm
Just like 1947, the partition that solved all the issues.
Pramod
Feb 22, 2013 11:40am
Very nice last line. This resistance to religious bigotry is far greater than any prayer.
Mohinder
Feb 20, 2013 11:07pm
If Pakistan Government is not capable of protecting Shia and other minorities, is there a possibility of mutually exchanging Shia and other minorities for Sunnis in India.
Rohan Hayath Hussain
Feb 20, 2013 09:28pm
As a Sunni I find this to be very wrong & what do these terrorists think they achieve by carrying out these crimes which are against the law & also against Shariah Law as-well. Do they think they will gain respect? Or that they are doing the right thing because somebody else differs in views? Or that Allah (swa) will be pleased with them? No, Allah is certainly not pleased. How do you expect the lord to be pleased when you make the religion of peace look like a religion of terror & oppression with a horrible ideology. All they (the terrorists) are doing is giving Islam a bad name & making it sound more like how Western media describe it, as a religion of ''terror''. Technically, they are helping the West achieve their goals! Shame on them who ruin the name of the religion of peace, the source of excellency - Islam.
Waqas
Feb 20, 2013 09:24pm
Just an extension of two nation theory at its play, the seeds of hatred are bearing its fruit now.
Laeeq,NY
Feb 20, 2013 09:23pm
Problem is not in our faith, but its is our understanding and interpretation of it. If you want it my way or highway, then nothing will work. We will have blood shed of innocent people every day. We as a society are becoming so insensitive to human life that most of secreterian killings do not even make news in our free press and elctronic media. If this trend continue, that day is not too far when killing of innocent minorities will becomse a norm of life. We, as a nation, If do not rise up against all the atrosities committed against our minorities, then majjority will not be safe form with in them. We can dream the Jinnah's Pakistan, but to fulfill it, we need a lot to do.
Xeroxus
Feb 20, 2013 10:26pm
Thank god,for partition.the sacrifice of those who suffered didn't go in vain.at least things are better on this side
H.M.Parekh
Feb 21, 2013 06:44am
Pakistan's biggest problem is education. Please educate the next generation. Let them read and then only come to conclusions. Not to follow any person only by hearing. All must pray but only for well being of humanity.
Huda
Feb 21, 2013 06:41am
Its just an attempt to create lawlessness in Pakistan . Its shias today , will be sunnis tomorrow. And then , who knows , punjabis , pathans , sindhis , balochis , and then who knows , maybe targets on doctors , or other professionals or bussinessmen . There are certain ruthless bodies in Pakistan who so dont want peace in our country so they can leech out as many benefits as they can. How come our resources are so inefficient that we cant even figure out how to stop all this , are we saying we dont have think tanks. maybe the authorities DON'T want to stop this chaos. Sigh , we are cursed with the worst ruling body ever existed.
Dil
Feb 21, 2013 10:35pm
Shalil, you left out Hindus. Was that intentional, implying they are the ones inciting?
Haider
Feb 20, 2013 07:18pm
Long live our strategic assets. These assets will help us conquer our neighbors. But lets see how many of us remain alive by that time.
Khalid
Feb 20, 2013 08:37pm
You are so right. Bhutto and Zia are both responsible for the situation we find ourselves in....
Imran
Feb 20, 2013 08:34pm
If "woh" means Lashkar-e-Jhangvi then we are ALL with you my friend. Sunnis and Shias together.
Rev. Eldrick Lal
Feb 20, 2013 08:33pm
These militants are extremely bigoted that it is impossible to confront them and often they become very truculent and started arguing angrily. This is atrocious crime against innocent father and his young boy. Fate had ordained that Pakistan will suffer opprobrium.
Help Me
Feb 21, 2013 02:31pm
What a contradiction in your statement. Salute to you my friend.
anand
Feb 20, 2013 08:12pm
Bullshit...,Do something to save Shias.
anand
Feb 20, 2013 08:10pm
You are insane to even compare the two!
Imran
Feb 20, 2013 08:00pm
Now that this innocent child and his remarkable father are under 6 feet of earth, perhaps these barbaric animals can rest in satisfaction that Islam is now safe.
sri1ram
Feb 20, 2013 06:11pm
You are sick to compare this wanton, pre-meditated killing of children by monsters to what happened in Gujarat - a mob response to something equally tragic. Most of the direct and indirect perpetrators are in jail and punished with rigorous imprisonment or life sentences by the supreme court. The same court could not get one shred of evidence linking Modi, so why just rely on the secular media's propaganda and keep blaming Modi? Lastly, Muslims in majority pockets in Gujarat are voting Modi into power now. You better prepare yourself to accept the inevitable.
Feb 20, 2013 06:12pm
Pakistan
Sadia Khan
Feb 20, 2013 06:07pm
Keep it Up Murtaza.. Nice Piece of work..
Imran
Feb 20, 2013 07:56pm
Sorry mate, wrong page. No one here came for the pandits.
Moin Ramiz
Feb 20, 2013 07:56pm
shocking sad heart breaking :(
nauman
Feb 21, 2013 11:20pm
Educated honorable,respectable,precious people being wasted by the trash and the garbage who have not achieved anything in their lives.Waste what a waste.What a shame.Cannot even look at the picture of the innocent 12 year old whose life was cut short by some crazy,intolerant bigots/criminals who do not even have realization how valuable a lives they have destroyed.These were the healers of the past and of the future.Sad,so sad.
Saqib Ghumman
Feb 20, 2013 05:30pm
illerate peoples with literacy of around 30% which are being manipulated by corrupt political and religious leaders, there is a light at the end of tunnel but the tunnel itself may be long atleast a generation gap??
Mohammad Ali
Feb 20, 2013 07:45pm
Bolo Nahin karoo!! or jub karlo tou yeah soch lo tummey or unmein faraq kia hai ??
salman
Feb 20, 2013 07:41pm
Murtaza, you are a deep thinker. Seems many would resign to your thoughts, those Muslims who want to pay back Pakistan, will be forced not to. The leftover population will be hostage to the whims of the bloodthirsty... is this a script written down in the fate of our country?
asad khan
Feb 20, 2013 05:36pm
keep doing love, that is the only way to kill hate.
Fazal
Feb 20, 2013 06:44pm
see this wrong, if u believe on God let god take justice.
Fazal
Feb 20, 2013 06:41pm
I agreed with Ahmadi, every human being has the right to live according to their wishes. Everyone should respect the tradition of others. I strongly believe to banned on all religious procession including Muharram procession. I will also advice our Shia brothers to be polite toward four Caliph and respect Sunni ideology as well. In no way killing of any person should be allowed or justified. Do not hate others.
Adnan
Feb 20, 2013 12:17pm
May Allah give patience to the bereaved to bear this irreparable loss. And may Allah protect us from these barbaric, coward, ruthless terrorists.
Asgar Ali
Feb 20, 2013 12:57pm
Why can't we strike back... Woh ek marein toh hum dus marein...akal aa jayegi saalon ko!
Feb 20, 2013 06:25pm
I think our problems started much earlier. Right from day one, we adopted a policy of anarchy both internally with Pashtoons and Balochs, and externally with India and Afghanistan. Then in 1949 was adopted the Objectives Resolution. The establishment starting using Islam to give legitimacy to all its act of aggression and brutality against its own people. Bhutto was just a shrewd opportunist who, like all Pakistani politicians, only cared about his power. Pakistan never crossed the line
Taj Siddiqui
Feb 20, 2013 01:01pm
You keep writing. They keep killing. This is no match. Pakistan is a failed state.
Ahmadi
Feb 20, 2013 01:02pm
My deepest sympathies to the Haider family. More will be murdered unless those in Power recognize their sins and come forward with courage to rectify it. The problem started when a secular leader by the named of Zuilfikar Ali Bhutto crossed a red line and interfered in the religious beliefs of the very peaceful and law abiding Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. This was illegal and immoral. He had no jurisdiction for such activities. He listened to the Mullahs. This law gives a signal to the public in general that it is okay not to have any sensitivity to the religious beliefs of others. This led to the murders of many Pakistani Ahmadi Muslim Doctors since then. They include an orthopedic surgeon who was a pioneer in limb transplantation, cardilogists, a pregnant pediatrician and so on and so forth. The PPP government succumbed to the demand oif the Mullahs who talk a lot about religion but in their charcater they are very irreligious. Band aid statement won't help. The constitution has to be re-written where all Pakistanis are equal under the law and the Government should have nothing to do with the religious beliefs of its citizens. Again my deepest condolences to the Haider family. Inna Lillahay wa iina ilaihay Rajeoune. Canada.
Syed
Feb 20, 2013 01:05pm
Its a shame for every single Pakistani, that a great Doctor who gave vision to thousands, whose family contributed to lives and health of thousands of Pakistanis is killed in broad day light with his small son, by some ignorant beasts. Let all of us be assured, this fire which has been started will engulf everyones door, no one will be spared, its just a matter of time. Such innocent blood will never go to waste, never.. without a consequence.
aj
Feb 20, 2013 01:05pm
A very sad day for Pakistan. The so called purist are raising walls of hate again while government of Pakistan playing flute to amaze the people of the land.
LOL
Feb 22, 2013 09:08am
Islam is about humanity and being humane. The "green" glasses are to see the Truth hidden under the hypocricy, cunning, and deceit.
shiraz
Feb 20, 2013 01:10pm
Pakistan is becoming a pathetic state. sorry state of affairs going on. Our govt has failed to protect it's people.
Raj
Feb 20, 2013 01:11pm
My question is why, why?
Feb 20, 2013 06:16pm
The real question is: Can Pakistan ever come back. out of this sorry mess.
Ali Haider
Feb 20, 2013 06:17pm
Terrorists are not planning they are just killing innocent SHIAS and there is no conspiracy to tear apart Pakistan it is a fool's thinking of public in Pakistan
Rizwan Khan
Feb 20, 2013 06:18pm
But Jamal, whover may be behind them, the person pulling the trigger is from one of us - a Pakistani! Imagine what he may have been weaned on to have such hatred for people (read minorities). If this inculcation of hatred is not nipped in the bud now, it will eventually be directed at us for issues such as not sporting a beard, not spewing hatred for the minorities and the West etc etc. It has to end somewhere!
syed ali
Feb 20, 2013 01:13pm
Very good article. I completely agree with you. The govt. and the retarded agencies have failed to maintain peace in the country. We have only Muslims and there are rifts between them. I am amazed by Indian polices that how well have they managed 100's of communities and rights of the minorities. Pakistan is ill-fated in this regard. No proper action for minorities and no rules, laws and regulation. These extremists should be given such a death that it could set up an example for other cunts who have no vision. Our agencies are a epic fail.
G.A.
Feb 20, 2013 01:14pm
Feel sick after reading this article. May the victims rest in peace and may the Wrath of God be upon the monsters. Western countries are slowly closing their borders especially as conservative parties win elections. How and where do millions of people migrate?
Haris Chaudhry
Feb 20, 2013 01:15pm
Incredibly painful ! Even during the worst of wars, innocent children are spared .. What kind of joy would a person get out of killing a father and son, in cold blood, just for belonging to a particular faith..These heartless, indoctrinated murderers and the apparatus that supports it must be somehow eradicated ! When will we wake up from our deepest slumber. We are sleep-walking to oblivion..
Tahir PhD
Feb 20, 2013 01:17pm
The death of young Murtaza is deeply lamented. May Allah rest his soul in the highest order in Jannat. Amen. There is absolutely no word left to condemn the callous cold blooded murder. The situation is ironically in the same vain as many of my own Ahmadi doctor brothers and sisters and other innocent citizens of Pakistan are being massacred in the name of religion for decades now - unabated. You mention political asylum or moving to other parts of the country or world. But with an exodus of some 40+ million people in question, this somehow is not logistically practical. A more viable solution needs to be urgently thought of in this land of heinous and open day light barbarism.
sri1ram
Feb 20, 2013 01:20pm
Tears of blood.. Nothing left to be said. Take care.
Tariq,USA
Feb 20, 2013 01:24pm
I understand your frustration and I feel sorry for it. Being an Ahmadi, my community has gone through this torture of insecurity in Pakistan so many times . Shias are a very large minority, for them leaving Pakistan will be hard but they can certainly influence the media and the government through peaceful manners. First of all, there should be accountability of our intelligence agencies for their failure in recognizing and preventing these threats beforehand. Secondly, our state need to adopt a zero tolerance policy for any hate filled literatures, sermons and media coverage of any such events. Bangladesh is an example for this kind of policy. Third, state must declare all out war against these extremist elements no matter what it takes to uproot these murderers. As long as terrorist and extremist elements have no fear of law enforcement agencies, this menace of extremism will never be controlled. We hear the arrest of these terrorist every day but then what happened to them next? How many we're convicted ? No body know.
sam
Feb 20, 2013 01:27pm
My comment on your previous blog never made it to the site. In this second attempt I want to point out that its not so that only the extremist 2-3% but its the sympathy of 50% of the majority of Pakistanis who consider Shias to be non-muslims. This was revealed trough a survey carried out in Pakistan. I fully agree that Pakistan is no home for Shias who are safer in places like India and the west.
Maqsood Baloch
Feb 21, 2013 06:12am
Is the Army waiting for the State to come to ruins? If there will be no state then what will they be protecting?Ruins????????
Pramod
Feb 22, 2013 06:44am
Dont want to believe in a god if god says that by kill an innocent person just because he belongs to a different faith and you will be rewarded with a seat in heaven. But I know god will never say that and a seat in hell for these murderer is booked for eternity.
Dhruv
Feb 20, 2013 02:29pm
May...but this is never going to happen. I feel that biggest sin by human race was to create GOD for worship. Now the same is being used to kill others. History is full of massacres committed by humans in the name of GOD. Please do not bring his name to provide solace to the bereaved family as they were killed in the name of the same GOD.
yousaf
Feb 20, 2013 02:30pm
Some Pakistanis are worse then animals, seeing this, writing any comments and thinking that some one will act upon is like , calling the Goverment and Top people of Pakistan have become Real True Pakistanis God forbit. Quaid-e-Azam, i think had done a mistake.
A True Pakistani
Feb 20, 2013 02:32pm
It's the duty of entire nation to stand up and fight against this cancer (LeJ, Taliban etc..) of the society, otherwise we all regardless of our sect, religion will be eliminated in a matter of time. It's the time for the silent majority to wake up and take a stand against these bad elements and no support or soft corner for these monsters.
Ahmar
Feb 20, 2013 02:34pm
Its about time we open debate on blasphemy law and learn about tolerance of others.
SM
Feb 20, 2013 02:40pm
"Lahore DIG (Operations) Tahir Rai said the possibility of sectarian terrorism could not be ruled out." How does it imply, "The police believe that their unprovoked murders were carried out by sectarian extremists". Its so unfortunate that in our hatred towards each other, we have lost our rationality! May God bless the slain doctor and his son. We really cannot realise the pain of the family. May God protect them and all in our country!
jamalahasan
Feb 20, 2013 02:45pm
All planned just to tearapart pakistan
Sadia Zafar
Feb 20, 2013 02:47pm
Jinnah's family is lucky they don't live in a country he created!
BRR
Feb 20, 2013 02:51pm
The Shias kept quite and even perhaps rejoiced when christians and hindus were targeted over the years. Now they seek the sympathy of the world when they themselves become targeted. same will happen to Barelvis next. People do not learn from history, and the misery of others does not make them compassionate.
Nasr KiKi
Feb 20, 2013 05:25pm
Yet one more time very precious souls we have lost. What that small boy has to do with all this. May Allah give Hidayah to the perpetrators and bring them to justice.
Sohrab
Feb 20, 2013 02:59pm
The cowards need to be brought to justice. No amount of grieving will help. Knowing Ali, he would want action not words. Let the chief justice take suo moto notice. Let the politicians speak. Their silence should be a clear sign of weakness. If they cannot act, they should resign and/or be voted out by the people. Let a new generation with clear fresh ideas represent Pakistan. May Jinnah's Pakistan emerge where "religion has got nothing to do with the business of the state".
Rehan
Feb 20, 2013 03:02pm
This is brutal and shocking. Irreparable loss for the nation and family. Everyone in pakistan now is at the mercy of these ruthless killers, no matter sunni or shia or any minority for that matter. No one is safe; its a jungle out there. The recent spate of killing may have sectarian element but who knows who is really behind this. No one gets apprehended in pakistan and nothing is ever disclosed to public. Our pathetic leaders offer condolenses and reiterate their resolve to punish the culprits and then the next day there are new headings in the news paper, new promises. We are all taken for a ride. May Allah have mercy on Pakistan. Any hope is fading away fast
Feb 20, 2013 03:02pm
And we are not even capable of stopping the source of all this hate.
Mansoor
Feb 20, 2013 05:23pm
A marble statue of Sir Ganga Ram once stood in a public square on Mall Road in Lahore. Famous Urdu writer Saadat Hasan Manto (known for his famous satire "Toba Tek Singh") wrote a satire on persons who were trying to obliterate any memory of any Hindu in Lahore after Pakistan came into existence. In his story
Shahpur
Feb 20, 2013 03:10pm
When I read this, I want to erase the memories, of Pakistan, from my mind, a dark place, a dark alley of "AA JOOJ MAA JOOJ".
Sadia
Feb 20, 2013 03:17pm
This is indeed true...although the protests this time are encouraging, people do react at least and do not keep bearing this nonsense any more...At the same time we have people in our society who accuse shias of reacting more than what happened..I wonder what kind pf Muslims we have around...If its our turn today it will be theirs next, i wonder why people do not understand this.
jn
Feb 22, 2013 08:04am
much more than what u can imagine,
Rummy
Feb 21, 2013 01:39pm
You make a good point but let's look at the country that Shias actually control, Iran. Hardly an inspiring role model.
Ganesh (India)
Feb 20, 2013 04:23pm
May god give each and every Pakisthani (aam aadmi) basic knowledge that he has to protect himself. Unless and until aam aadmi learns to think that he is human first and then Sunni,shia, muslim etc nothing will improve...
Goga Nalaik
Feb 20, 2013 05:07pm
OMG, what is happening to my country and its people
Islam
Feb 20, 2013 04:39pm
Country were majority are religious fanatic and Illiterate, any other nation can take full advantage of it.
Md Imran
Feb 20, 2013 04:41pm
Let me ask those who are "protesting" in far away Toronto what exactly will that "protest" achieve other than getting their names/pictures published in some local daily ? If they really feel so much for what is happening in Pakistan, they should come back to Pakistan and protest in front of the GHQ or Supreme court or the parliament not in Toronto.
Hassan
Feb 20, 2013 04:41pm
no body needs to tear us apart we are pretty good at doing this ourselves!
Erfan
Feb 20, 2013 05:03pm
The ONLY solution for Pakistan is to repeal all legislation, including the Objectives Resolution and the 1974 NA Assembly declaration against Ahmadis, so as to create a country where, in the eyes of the state, everyone's religion a sacred, be it any sect of Islam or any other religion. The second step would then be to bring to justice anyone and everyone who breaks the law. Period. I cannot imagine Pakistan has any other way out.
Sajid Abbas
Feb 20, 2013 05:00pm
Hats off to Mr Murtaza; thanks for raising the voice of Mazloomeen
usman
Feb 20, 2013 05:00pm
Its extremely frustrating that we could not overcome the killing of our Shia brothers. I salute to the patience of Hazara community who despite being killed in masses have maintained a peaceful way to put forward their demands for their right of security. I dont know why we are further deepening the division between between Shia and Sunni. Even Sunni sub-sects have been targeted in Jumma prayers and killed in hundreds. We should not name it with Shia genocide but its a war between Pakistani nation and anti-Pakistani forces.
Touseef Zaidi
Feb 20, 2013 04:59pm
He was shot six times and they did not even spared his son and the killer did not know him nor they knew the killer.
zafarov
Feb 22, 2013 07:37am
"Needless to say, Pakistan can use some doctors, especially surgeons. Every doctor counts in Pakistan where there is less than one doctor per 1,000 people. Thus, killing them in cold blood does not make much sense for the welfare of ordinary Pakistanis. Dr Ali Haider was a renowned eye surgeon whose skilled and compassionate hands had restored the vision of countless patients." That is an utterly bizarre way of thinking.. The implication here, is that if Pakistan had an adequate number of doctors, this killing would not have made a significant dent to the welfare of ordinary Pakistanis and therefore the severity of the crime in those circumstances could be considered a little less. The welfare of ordinary Pakistanis is a secondary issue. The tragedy is that a man and son have been brutally cut down. The reason the target was deliberately selected is that he was a highly distinguished medical practitioner who belonged to the Shia sect. The killing of a prominent and esteemed person would trigger, very rightly, the strong reaction it invariably did in the media and elsewhere, thereby making the message those killers wanted to deliver become very much more widespread and potent.
shahid
Feb 20, 2013 07:17pm
The point is Sunni and Shia have been living together for long time and they never had issue. The sectarian violence just started which says that somebody wants this. So these millitants or terrorists are well sponsored by other countries. According to reports, government officials know who they are and where they are but for some reasons they don't want to put hands on them.
mazharuddin
Feb 21, 2013 07:05am
Such articles only encourage hatred and sectarian violence. There need to remember all innocent children who lost their lives or their parents lost lives by sectarian killers either Sunni or Shia. Writer with the encouragement of news paper mostly publishes such articles that are biased and overlook to address root causes of such hatred. There is need to control such religious activities that spread hatred and encourage killing culture that can be seen during the burial in Quetta the sporadic firing took place by the people. In this context who can be known as peaceful citizens.? Writer did not realize sufferings of nation by Sit-in?
Ahmed
Feb 21, 2013 10:58pm
Why not ban guns in Pakistan? Declare war on the armed gangs hiding behind their "religious" masks, the way the US did on the mafia in the 1930's. Use sting operations that the US has used to catch these rogues before they actually do their murderous business. This problem of lawlessness can be solved if there is a will. Trouble in Pakistan is that it has a President who has failed to demonstrate the leadership needed by a nation to take out criminals (regardless of how religious they claim to be) from society.
human1
Feb 21, 2013 07:14am
miss sonali, please for god sake don't blame modi for everything. modi has done lot of good works for Gujarat. India really need him for his assistance as a prime minister post. Recent Gujarat election, also interview of Muslim ulema also proved that modi has done lot for muslim community. before making comments about him, please go and live in Gujarat.
ISeeIt
Feb 21, 2013 07:14am
No one is conspiring against the banana republic which is Pakistan. In the grand scheme of things, Pakistan and its 60% uneducated population means nothing to the world. It is the over emphasis of religious intolerance in people's lives - perpetrated and perpetuated by the media and jahil maulanas which have brought Pakistan to where it is now - at the brink of falling over as a failed state.
Najib
Feb 21, 2013 07:18am
Simple, security agencies are not capable of identifying these banned outfits.
kanak
Feb 21, 2013 07:21am
There is a saying. When a cat closes its eyes it believes that the whole world is dark. Pakistanis who believe that Kashmir is the mother of all problems are like the cat. Kashmir will never be solved - then what?
excalibur
Feb 21, 2013 07:23am
It is the vested interests of forces hostile to Pakistan to attempt and do an Iraq in Pakistan.
Qureshi
Feb 21, 2013 07:27am
Law abiding good people of Pakistan should convert back to their original religion, they became Muslims during the invasion of Bharat by mughals
ali
Feb 22, 2013 07:28am
faisal i think data sb delivered some hate speech
Khan
Feb 22, 2013 07:26am
Another Indian in the disguise of a Muslim name spreading hate and anarchy and dawn is providing them full chance to spread the propaganda.
Faiz ul hassan Sipra
Feb 21, 2013 07:41am
It is shocking, babaric and cowardice act which took the life of two innocent souls.It is not shia-sunni conflict it is somthing far beyond it as most shia-sunni are best friends,live together,have respect and love for each other.It is a grand deception and plot against the unity of pakistan.Every trump card is being played against the stability of Pakistan by its enemies within and outside.ALLAH is great who is keeping this country intact and will protect us always.Our country calls for unity and rational thinking.We will sail through this sectarian and terrorist doldrums.Prayers and salutations for those who are bearing the brunt of this scourage.Allah live their soul in peace.I will request to those who have clout among shia and sunni to spread love and peace for the sake of PAKISTAN.
qazi tahir hussain
Feb 21, 2013 07:44am
In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends. (Martin Luther King Jr.)
Kazim
Feb 21, 2013 07:47am
We all know that no Sunni brother is doing this. The one who are killing innocent Shias are not of any sect, in fact not even worthy of being called Muslims. But the most shameful part is that our so called Govt. and Forces are unwilling to do anything regarding this. When a common man knows the culprits how is it even possible that the Intelligence is unaware of the whereabouts of these people. Pakistani citizens may they be from any sect or religion have ALWAYS been safe under the supervision of the Army Rule ...
Pakistani Awam
Feb 21, 2013 08:12am
Good One! LOL! Don't expect the people posting here to recognize 'sarcasm'!
Pramod
Feb 22, 2013 11:14am
Salman Taseer had everything . But what if your own body guard become a extremist.
Pakistani Awam
Feb 21, 2013 08:17am
Dear Author, Why are you wasting an obvious talent for writing on this trivial, every day happening in pakistan? You should write about issues more important to pakistani public, the hanging of 'innocent' afzal guru by the indian government!
IndianDude
Feb 21, 2013 08:25am
Thank you Sonali Muhammad, for opening our eyes (no pun intended)!
Abdur Razzaque
Feb 22, 2013 11:10am
Ya Allah, save this country and save every Muslims regardless what fiqahs we are in beliefs. We are the followers and believers of one Allah (swt),Prophets (pbu) and the last prophet (sm) and the Qur'an and Hadiths. If it is, no way we can kill another innocent Muslims. It is `Haram` and above all it is a sign of killing yourselves,your own families that ultimately will kill and savage the whole country and the Muslim community. Whoever the killers are don't fill proud for this kind of butchery and inhumanity. Think about your own sentiment, if it would happen with you? Being a parent,or a brother try to feel other Muslim parents or sister or,brothers sentiments. What ever the killers are doing is nothing than a blood sucker of his own community members. Shame on them and shame on all of their so-called political leaders and guiders who are using those butchers and killers are merely for their own narrow interests for power and dignity not for the humanity and brotherhood. Definitely, today and tomorrow they will experience same story in his family lives. Still we do have time to save ourselves, to save the country, religion and above all to uphold the sign of rationality than of wildness. May Allah (swt) help us to get back our sense of our respects and honour of others lives like our own ones. Amin!
mazharuddin
Feb 22, 2013 07:21am
It is only to spread hatred by displaying such articles that only show sufferings of one side as well as the comment having reason and logic on the top are being hidden or removed. There need to remember the sufferings of other people killed in sectarian killing like four blood brothers and several others. Karachi is suffering due to extreme sectarian hatred specially by a sect that kept city in standstill situation in revenge of Quetta killing. This need to be condemned.
Muslim
Feb 21, 2013 08:43am
Very well said Mr. @Haider and Mr. Murtaza Haider, the author of this blog, as well!
Tahir
Feb 21, 2013 08:59am
Don't make excuses. Then you will say it is Palestine, Afghanistan, India, America, Ahmadis, Hindus, Christians etc. Wake up.
viti99
Feb 21, 2013 08:59am
you don't have to go anywhere? just like no muslim has moved from gujarat to pakistan in last ten years, you also do not have to move any other place. Mr Modi is fully eligible to be PM of India.
Ali Akbar
Feb 21, 2013 09:19am
Oh dear! He was just a kid!!! Why are we not ashamed???
AFK
Feb 21, 2013 09:42am
This is not just foreign hand involved in killing of innocent shia brothers and sisters, these are our internal issues aided by politics and ethnicity. I have spent most of my life in interior sindh and later resettled in Karachi for 13 years now. I realized that people living in metropolitan cities have created much discrimination in sect than people of interior sindh. There is no such thing that discriminate shia sunni, even the level is that we never discussed sect. Most of Pakistan's population lives in rural areas, that means majority of the population doesn't even thought of sect. Than who are they????
Javed
Feb 21, 2013 09:48am
Gandhi whom most pakistanis love to hate had a saying "An eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind".
Ishtiaq
Feb 21, 2013 09:58am
I agree Shia community genocide is taking place in Pakistan. Australia has offered asylum to 2500 families; I hope other countries will come forward too. The state of Pakistan is a partner in crime against its' own citizens. Shias are being targeted collectively, like Hazaras and individually. Dr Ali Haider and his 12 year child have fallen to this madness sectarian killings. And who ever speaks for Ahmedi; in their case even offering condolence will be called blasphemous. Such is the reality of this hapless country today.
Zulfiqar Ali
Feb 22, 2013 10:19am
What have we doneto the best religion bestwoed upon us, we discriminated, when we should have been inclusive, we became rigid, in the name of flexibility, we preach hate on the name of peace and love. Where is the message of ISLAM, I doubt if we have believer, if one is not human, how can he be Muslim
Naila
Feb 21, 2013 10:03am
I have known this great family for many years, hence this feels like a personal loss. May Allah (swt) give them strength and patience, and may the dad and son rest in jannah. Ameen.
Dr Sidra Shakeel
Feb 21, 2013 10:56am
Prof Syed Ali Haider and his son,Ali Murtaza were martyred just because they were Shias.That's how this nation treats a family whose every generation toiled to make hundreds of medical professionals in this country.This family served this country when they could have left for better opportunities which I wish they had...Prof Zafar Haider treated and taught everyone .Did Prof Ali Haider only treated Shias? if this country could not return anything to Prof Zafar Haider and Prof Tahira,they should have been allowed to live their old age peacefully.Unfortunately this country is full of beasts I tell al those beasts that they are neither humans nor Muslims .
ghazi
Feb 22, 2013 08:46am
I m shia. I have never seen anybody around me using ill comments regarding prominent ashab e Rasool(SAWW) including Hazrat Abu Bakar, Hazrat Usman and Hazrat Umer and Hazrat Ayesha. I also acknowledge that some very little fractions would have been doing so (and believe me such people are never killed for they fulfill as proof against shias by these terrorist groups who brainwash masses). However, most literate shias have never liked doing such absurd. Yes! we have differences and we have reasons for it. Accepting your version of Islam or even ours is written nowhere in Quran or Hadith. Islam simply means that one has faith in TAUHEED, KHATM E NABUWWAT, QURAN, ANGELS and DAY of JUDGEMENT. Then where lies the difference. What is clearly mentioned in hadith is all about "kharijis"(excluded from islam). All these takfiri tolas are themself kharijees. Do they belong to a Islam whose prophet has been called "Rehmatallil Aalameen" by Almighty. These merciless executioners are the remnants of banu ummayyeds who have centuries old rivalry with banu hashims and their committed followers. And people like you who are enchanting slogans for ending the riot by controlling and eliminating the root cause are just trying to justify the killing of innocent people.
Kayenn
Feb 21, 2013 12:05pm
consipracy theory..... please continue to live in denial
kalbe Ali
Feb 21, 2013 12:59pm
the problem again with this government also is the same how many radical terrorists have been hanged including those who openly claimed to have hit their opponents at public rallies - and they get out of court due to lack of evidence. And this is because there cannot be any witness willing to testify regularly for ten years. and the courts are silent over the issue.
Naseer
Feb 21, 2013 02:18pm
Have you heard anyone abusing Caliphs or Sahaba Karam? May be a few misguided shia's do. But majority respects everyone's religion. Please do not try to justify this terrorism and barbarism.
Fazal
Feb 21, 2013 02:20pm
Tanvir, no one like your comments, because u talked about humanity. We are a nation of hatred and sorry to say that there are sect within Islam whose foundation laid on Hate so what you can expect from them
Imtiaz Faruqui
Feb 21, 2013 02:21pm
Religon came to teach human beings to be civilized , but at present it is playing the worse role you can imagine , the whole world hate one another because of religon
anish
Feb 22, 2013 05:21am
great thinker of pakistan .may you flourish and spread your mentality.
pathanoo
Feb 21, 2013 04:37pm
No, Khurram. Pakistan's biggest problem is people like you.
Devi
Feb 21, 2013 05:04pm
As much as I hate to admit it...the population is already hostage to the whims of the bloodthirsty. This attack just proves it.
Siva
Feb 22, 2013 04:51am
I cant stop my tears for 12 yr old boy who may not be knowing why he was killed............Pakistan shud teach all its citizens about humanity and value of individual.
Waqas
Feb 21, 2013 05:15pm
Are you out of your mind? please think before you speak.
Feb 21, 2013 05:43pm
The people doing all this can prove from the Texts that they are doing this to please Allah.
Naeem
Feb 22, 2013 03:15am
Yes it can happen!!! Only Government approved Friday sermon specifically on the translation of Quran should be allowed. This is the only guidance we need. I go to an ahmadi mosque in Canada. The sermon strictly is on Quranic passages and its translations with examples. Why should people listen to jahil Mullahs anyways when The Quran is there for guidance?
Mansoor
Feb 22, 2013 03:10am
All this logical thinking can lead to what? The criminals should be identified, apprehended and punished. My friend tell me how may terrorists in Pakistan have been convicted thus far. You'll be amazed if you research. Most recently a valiant police officer was killed in Pakistan and his fellow policemen identified and apprehended the culprit. Guess what all eye witnesses recanted. You want to know why these police officers backed out, because they could not protect themselves and their families. It would be utterly naive to think that Pakistani legal system can successfully prosecute these butchers.
skeptic
Feb 21, 2013 06:31pm
this is a really very sad event indeed. these were very good people who lived peacefully,their families have taught to generations of students and contributed to many a cause in the society.the father and the son did not deserve this.Lahore is deeply shocked by this event. this state of affairs is really disappointing to say the least and nothing is being done.
rahim
Feb 21, 2013 06:44pm
What an idiotic comment. A guy who tries to burn a neighbor's house does not realize the same winds will Carry the fire and burn your house down too. Pakistan is a classic case of that
correction
Feb 21, 2013 06:54pm
I literally see your ignorance towards the truth. Terrorists of LeJ are shouting on speakers that they did it and will do it again and again but the people like you are so ignorant of the facts . Secondly I must inform you sir that sunni who are not supporting ssp and LeJ will also be eliminated by them one by one but top priority is shia elemination. Plz don't try to deviate these facts.
Ahmed Jafri
Feb 22, 2013 01:40am
I submit humbly that such sarcasm comes across as deeply disrespectful and is uncalled for.
Krishna
Feb 21, 2013 07:03pm
You are tying the bald head and knee cap. Is it not meaningless?
Aamarinder Singh
Feb 22, 2013 02:14am
I mourn Dr Haider and his son.....so sad ..a healing hand has been cut off ....Hope these killers will rot in hell.
Fazal
Feb 21, 2013 07:22pm
We should see what is the root cause of such barbaric events and how to resolve.The remedy are To ban speech which contain humiliation and hate to others. To ban all kind of religious procession. we should only promote love
Laeeq,NY
Feb 22, 2013 02:10am
Living in Toronto, New York or any where else in the world is not a choice of any Pakistani. No matter where ever you live in the world, how comfortable is your lifestyle, your heart is in Pakistan. If our country was safe, properous with full of opportunities, who will go to a foreign land leaving behind his family, relatives and friends. So many dhernas, long marches, strikes did not bring any change in this country called Islamic republic of Pakistan, what change can bring few Pakistanis living in a foreign country.
seema
Feb 21, 2013 07:45pm
Should I laugh or cry at your igorance!! What does Kashmir have to do with the kiling of Shia's. Excuses excuces, always pass the blame on. Am surprised they havent blamed the Indians or Americans. Amazing how shameless the majority of Pakistanis are.
Feb 21, 2013 08:12pm
That would mean banning all Friday sermons. Not happening.
Naveed Baig
Feb 21, 2013 09:09pm
Very sad..May the departed souls rest in peace...
Feb 21, 2013 09:44pm