KARACHI, Jan 15: The Sindh High Court on Tuesday directed the federal health secretary, the vice chancellor of the Dow University of Health Sciences, the principal of the Dow Medial College and others to file their respective comments in a petition challenging the MBBS and BDS admissions being given to foreign students.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Sadiq Hussain Bhatti also issued notices to the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC), the federal law secretary, the deputy attorney general and put off the hearing to a date to be later announced by the court's office.
Petitioner Maqsood Ahmed, represented by Advocate Ghulam Yasin Sehtari, submitted that the respondent VC and the college principal were giving admissions to foreign students in the MBBS and BDS programme in violation of the existing rules and regulations.
He submitted that the foreign students were being given admissions by the respondents on 100 per cent quota, which was a clear violation of rules and regulations laid down by the PMDC.
The petitioner alleged that both the VC and the principal were obtaining a huge amount of $15,000 per year from the foreign students for their admission.
He said that the policy of giving admissions to the foreign students on 100 per cent quota deprived a number of Pakistani students who could have availed themselves of these seats on merit.
The petitioner stated that both the VC and the principal were appointed on a political basis and they were taking undue advantage of their authority by awarding admissions to foreign students by taking a huge amount of money.
He submitted that the respondent VC and principal were openly misusing their position and they were defrauding the public and students who were eligible and liable to be given admission to the MBBS and BDS programme.
He prayed to the court to direct the respondent VC and the college principal to produce the entire admission record of the students who had been admitted to MBBS and BDS programmes since their appointment and take action against them.
Afaq’s plea against name in ECL The same bench directed the interior ministry to submit details regarding involvement of Mohajir Quami Movement (Haqiqi) chairman Afaq Ahmed in terrorism activities that formed the basis of placing his name on the Exit Control List.
The bench was seized with the petition of the MQM-H chief against restriction on his travelling abroad.
He submitted in the petition that he applied for a passport on Jan 1, 2012 for travelling abroad and performing Umra. However, he said, the passport and immigration authorities informed him that his name was placed on the ECL and he could not be issued a passport.
The MQM-H leader said that the act of the respondent was a clear violation of Articles 4, 14, 15 and 25 of the Constitution as he was constitutionally entitled to free movement and passport for travelling.
He submitted that neither was he involved in anti-state activities nor did he cause any loss to the national exchequer, but he was being victimised on a political basis.
The petitioner said that he was incarcerated for more than seven years in criminal and politically motivated cases, but he was either acquitted or released on bail in all cases by the courts.
The interior ministry filed comments in the instant petition through a section officer after a delay of over one year.
The comments said that Afaq's name was placed on the ECL on the basis of his criminal record as he was involved in terrorism activities but not limited to targeted killings in Karachi. It was also submitted in the comments that the instant petition was liable to be dismissed as the petitioner did not approach the authority concerned for filing representation under Section 3 of the Exit for Pakistan Control Ordinance, 1981.
The bench observed that no such details or record had been placed in court to justify the restriction on travelling of the petitioner.
The court directed the federal law officer to file such details or record regarding involvement of the petitioner in terrorism activities on behalf of the ministry of interior and put off the hearing to Jan 24.