Pakistan on Wednesday strongly rejected what it called “baseless and unfounded allegations” by India of a cross-border attack by Pakistani troops killing two Indian soldiers, adding that it was ready for a probe by a UN observer body into the incident.
“These are baseless and unfounded allegations,” said a statement issued by the Foreign Office. “Pakistan is prepared to hold investigations through the United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) on the recent ceasefire violations on the Line of Control.”
The statement said it was important that serious efforts be made to maintain the progress and improvement achieved by the neighbouring countries in the dialogue process and bilateral relations, emphasising that “negative propaganda” be avoided.
The Indian army has claimed that firing by Pakistani troops near the heavily militarised Line of Control (LoC) had killed two Indian soldiers on Tuesday, with one’s head allegedly severed and taken away.
A senior military official in Islamabad had earlier denied that Pakistani troops had been involved in any attack, similarly claiming that India was using “propaganda” to divert attention from a deadly raid on Sunday.
Pakistan’s army says Indian troops crossed the LoC on Sunday and stormed a military post in an attack that left a Pakistani soldier dead and another injured. India has denied crossing the line. - Text and photos by Agencies