Malala Yousufzai.

For 20 years Rashid waited for this day. But instead of boarding the plane, he returned his tickets. It all seemed so meaningless to him after reading how a 14-year old girl, Malala Yousufzai, was gunned down for seeking education.

Rashid’s daughter always wanted to visit his village with him but he always said no. “Complete your education, get a nice job and then come with me,” he argued.

She did as he desired: a master’s degree, in economics, from an Ivy League college and a job with the World Bank. Now he was ready to take her along.

Shamila was 5 when she came to America. Her father, Rashid Ahmed Khan came to this country on a visit visa but never went back. There was nothing to go back to.

In the village he was known as Sheeda but once he became a successful realtor in America, he repossessed the name his father gave him, Rashid Ahmed. He added Khan too because his mother once told him they were known as Khans before they were poor.

And when somebody calls him Khan Sahib – as most of his new friends do – he feels good.

But for him going back to the village with his daughter was more significant than being called Khan Sahib.

He wanted the whole village to see that the granddaughter of a woman who washed their dishes had graduated from an American university. She spoke better English than the sons of the local zamindars and also had a better job.

His village did not have big land lords. Most were middle class people who made enough to live comfortably. But because he was the son of a farm worker and a dishwasher, he was looked down upon.

His desire to take his daughter back to the village was linked to the way his mother was treated by these people.

Although her parents named her Fatima, everybody called his mother Phataan, as they called him Sheeda. People of their social status were not called by their proper names.

I first met Rashid Khan at Islamabad’s Marriot Hotel. I was waiting for a friend in the restaurant when I heard a loud noise. It startled everyone. When we searched for the source, we saw pieces of a plate on the floor. We also saw the man who threw it on the floor.

The waiter came running and asked what was wrong. Rashid asked for the manager and when the manager came, he picked one of the pieces and showed him.

“See these spots? You are charging hundred dollars a person for dinner and this is how you wash your dishes?” he shouted.

The manager calmed him down and brought him a clean plate.

But his action intrigued me. So I went to him while he was waiting for food and asked if I could share the table with him.

When he asked why, I said I guessed from his accent that he was from America. Since I also lived there, I wanted to join him.

“Where in America do you live?” he asked.

“In Virginia, near Washington,” I said.

“Oh, I live nearby. In Baltimore,” he said and asked me to join him.

By the time we finished our dinner, we were friends.

He said he wanted to have tea, and not the “gora chai” the hotel served but the real “doodh patti.”

I said I knew a place where they served the best ‘doodh patti’ in town and I that I could take him there if he did not mind my old Volkswagen.

On the way to the chai shop, he asked me: “Do you know why I threw the plate on the floor?”

I said I wanted to but did not know how to ask.

He chuckled and said: “Before going to America, I came here once. I was wearing clean clothes but not clean enough for them, so they threw me out. Today, I got even with them.”

“That you did,” I said.

While having tea, we exchanged phone numbers and addresses and stayed in touch in America too, particularly after he too moved to Northern Virginia.

He often said he was grateful to God for giving him a daughter, his only child. “I see my mother in her. And it makes me very happy when I see her going to school. I want her to be the most educated woman in our village and the best too.”

So I was surprised when he came to our travel agency to return the tickets he had purchased to take his daughter to his village.

“Yaar, I am sorry but I do not want to visit my village. Actually, I do not want to go to that country with my daughter,” he said.

“Why?” I asked.

He put a copy of the New York Times on my table and said: “Check the lead story.”

I read the headline: “Taliban Gun Down Girl Who Spoke Up for Rights.”

“Did it scare you?” I asked.

“Scared me? Yes, it did,” he said. “But it is not about fear.”

“What else then?” I asked.

“I think Shamila will not be respected there, no,” he said. “It remains the place where my mother was reduced from Fatima to Phataan. I thought all that had changed but it did not.”

I said he was paranoid. There were no Taliban in his village and his daughter will enjoy the trip. So he must go.

He disagreed and said I did not understand him. “Come over to my place this evening and we will talk.”

I agreed.

When I arrived, he asked his daughter to make tea. I was surprised because usually he did not like his daughter to do such chores.

When Shamila left after putting the tea on the table, he asked: “Isn’t she graceful?”

I said, “Yes, she is and I have always said that she looks like a scholar.”

“She is a scholar. She knows the law of diminishing return,” he said.

I laughed and said: “That is very basic. You learn that at school. She knows much more.”

He laughed too and said, “Yes, but that’s all I know about economics.”

Then Rashid began his story. He said it was an ‘aalim,’ a religious scholar from his village who encouraged him to study. This ‘aalim,’ known as Shah Sahib, had two sons; one was a doctor and the other a government official.

They provided the financial support Rashid needed to do his high school and two years of college.

“He was a great man. When he recited the Holy Quran, his face emitted light. My mother used to help his wife twice a week and they always gave us fresh food, not the leftovers.

“He did so much for us. But we were too poor to return his favors and he died before I came to America.”

Unlike other religious scholars, Shah Sahib also encouraged girls to go to school. “Our Prophet (PBUH) wanted women to study, who are we to deny education to them?” he would often say.

So Rashid had two reasons for sending her daughter to school, his mother and also he believed it would have pleased Shah Sahib if he were alive.

Rashid said the day his daughter came home with her degree, he saw the same light, same grace on her face that he had seen emitting from Shah Sahib. He wanted to show this to his villagers and also wanted them to respect her, as they respected Shah Sahib.

“But after I read what the Taliban did to Malala, I thought those people are not yet ready to respect a woman. So I decided I will not take Shamila to my village,” he said.

“Because of Shah Sahib, I have always associated religion with knowledge, light and emancipation. But now when I see it being used to promote ignorance and intolerance, it hurts me.

“I taught my daughter what I learned from Shah Sahib. And I want her to continue to believe in him too. But I fear that if she goes there, she may change. That’s why I do not want to take her with me.”

The author is a correspondent for Dawn, based in Washington, DC

Anwar Iqbal is a correspondent for Dawn, based in Washington, DC.

More From This Author

Mustafa Moiz
Oct 14, 2012 07:52am
There's more gun violence in the US than in most other countries. Why is he staying there? And if he went to the US to visit and never left, that was illegal.
Khan
Oct 13, 2012 01:53pm
What powers are we talking about? Where is the honest Pakistani power?
xyz
Oct 13, 2012 01:55pm
"some powers!" Easy to put the blame on others, isn't it? Until someone say WE, and not HE, nothing is going to change.
AnonymousUSA
Oct 13, 2012 05:40pm
What happened to one girl. Worse happens many times a day 365 days a year as if all the time day and night in the US. Horrors that no Pakistani man or women can even imagine. How blessed Pakistanis are, they will never know till they have traveled and lived in other countries and cultures. Things and incidents one after the other day after day. Absolute cruelty, abuse, and horror that can drive an average innocent Pakistani sad, disgusted, half mad in no time.
Amaal
Oct 13, 2012 01:53pm
what a strange man, an old man with his own family but still obsessing about his mother and some sort of revenge for the past that he left behind so long. interesting how he only seeing his mother in his daughter. Not once he mentions his wife, the woman who actually gave life to this wonder of a child.
Umer
Oct 13, 2012 05:03pm
"Threw the plate on the floor" This is what is wrong with Pakistanis. They escape to live abroad, make lots of money, praise the civilized culture and process of the west yet when they visit back home they act like uncivilized and uncultured cavemen, drunk on power of the dollar. If 'Khan Sahib' had picked up even an ounce of American-ism he would have asked the waiter nicely and politely to change the plate. I guess you can give them Blue passports but cannot change the Green inside them!!!
WesternGirlFriday
Oct 13, 2012 05:24pm
Well said Khan. A breath of fresh air. Pakistani women have no idea what blessings they have. I know some. They have a life I can only dream of.
Ameer
Oct 14, 2012 08:52am
Yea true Pakistani.. ran away; wants nothing to do with the country; judges 190 million people based on actions of a few.. oh yea and did i mention his irreplaceable contribution to pakistan? zilch. True Pakistani Indeed.
p r sharma
Oct 14, 2012 08:52am
I am sure the violence in USA is definitely not against the girls' education. The violence is not in the name of Religion and more so where lot and lot of sympathizers of the violence in the society. violence at USA & Pakistan are not comparable..
Khan
Oct 13, 2012 01:47pm
Pakistanis living abroad, have more respect and love for their country than people living in Pakistan because they have seen both the worlds. For people living in Pakistan, it may be just one story. Unfortunately, for Pakistanis living abroad, It is several such stories every day times 60 years. These stories certainly can have a huge impact on any living soul.
Ashraf
Oct 13, 2012 04:33pm
Until we recognize that as a nation the scourge of extremism and fundamentalism is not eradicated from our country more Malala's will be sacrificed. And, in the process the country will disintegrate into the past (i.e. pre colonial days) where Pakistan will be only spoken of in terms of a nation thats left behind.
Ghazanfar Ali
Oct 13, 2012 05:54pm
The comments of folks on this beautiful tale proved that Mr. Rasheed took the right decision in the end. When on the Earth would we stop thinking negatively about the people who are not in Pakistan with us??
Tahir
Oct 15, 2012 04:37am
Would you rather have Rashid stay in Pakistan to be subservient to your type...maybe so his daughter could be your maid? Oh, and BTW, what is your contribution to Pakistan, Ameer?
Nasir
Oct 13, 2012 05:34pm
Mr. Shahid, seems as if you are promoting your daughters education and her World Bank Job. Maybe a nice fat consultancy opportunity with World Bank will follow in Pakistan (LOL). I am in Canada but take my 6 years old son to Pakistan every year and he enjoys every part of Burns Road and Karachi Beach or food street in Lahore. Please stop Pak bashing. You may stay in USA, no need to visit Pakistan.
Anwar Amjad
Oct 13, 2012 05:03pm
The tragic incident with Malala is very sad. But there is no need to spread so much gloom as projected in this article. The unity we see in Pakistan today and the way the whole nation has expressed solidarity with Malala is overwhelming. Pakistanis have sent a strong message to the militants that they will not be taken hostage by a handful of evil people and that Malala is the future of Pakistan. If Afghanistan and the US are sincere in their condemnation of the attack on Malala by Tehrik Taliban Pakistan then they should hand over Maulana Fazlullah (Mullah Radio) to Pakistan as he ordered this shameful act. He has been given shelter by Afghanistan since he was ousted by Pakistan Army from Swat in 2009.
Mystreeman
Oct 14, 2012 01:44am
Sir please rwrite about what is right in Pakistan..because those who are doing right "here in Pakistan" matter most than someone who was a truant.
Sheikh Z. Shafiq
Oct 14, 2012 01:48am
Your article is too simplistic. Things are never what they appear on the surface; you have to dig deeper to get to the truth. Besides, women's oppression is a global question. It does differ in form and degree. There is enough info. available on the internet to know in what women suffer in the West, including the U.S.
Swami Vijnanananda Saraswati
Oct 14, 2012 01:50am
A very beautiful write up... Bigots are every where - they come in all colours and creeds... I m a hindu momnk who has studied Islam under the guidance of Dr. Waheeduddin Khan Sa'ab... of India... I feel the spirit of Islam was the spirit of Human Bonding - a struggle for the have nots against the Haves... and what a pain to see where it stands today... People such as u should stand up and take the common person...the person in the street ... win their confidence and that alone is the way to surge ahead... i come from a family where my father left Dhaka to come to India... My Great Grand father never left his hearth... so in a way i ask myself who am i ... the only answer i get is - South Asian... the culture that is composite and all encompassing... that which believes in the spirit of One-ness of all and the Idea of celebration as the sole form of protest... that's what sufi-bhakti and Baul movements have been all about... Come lets join hands and celebrate the festival of life as Being Humans... Thaqt alone is our religion... None Else
T Shah
Oct 14, 2012 08:05pm
Very touching story, we are also planning a vacation to Pakistan, but I will not change it, because those evil Taliban dont represent Islam, they are forcess of darkness, and if we dont go, they will win, and i will not abdicate my country to these evil Afghani backed Jahilan. If you love your country, dont abandon it, go there, and let the people see and hear from you what a wonderful world is out there, and we can make Pakistan bright like America also.
Izhar
Oct 14, 2012 06:12am
Agree
Danish
Oct 14, 2012 06:15pm
I like his writings. But anyone who forms his or her opinion about Pakistan based on news stories will be looking at only half of the picture. Sure there are problems here, but show me a country that doesn't have problems? I think Mr. Rashid Ahmed should come to Pakistan. I'm sure that he'll be delighted that despite all the chaos, there is still hope.
Noon NJ US
Oct 13, 2012 04:41pm
This is exactly what is wrong, you do not see the reason behind his attitude towards Pakistan, how many times have you seen a poor from a small village become successful in Pakistan vs. those same people when given proper opportunity do wonders for an alien country, the problem is with you mindset.
Shakeel Ahmed
Oct 13, 2012 04:37pm
Not for paradise, not for any other place, would I want to leave this country. This is my paradise and my home. Long live Pakistan. Long Live Malala
Mustafa Moiz
Oct 14, 2012 07:50am
If he's a coward he should just admit it.
Raw is War
Oct 13, 2012 04:37pm
grt article.
Vigilant
Oct 13, 2012 04:36pm
Pathetic Article, whole story & the guy (Rashid) are controversial. One side Rashid is avenging mistreatment by hotel management but on other side what he did for his country?, that family or people who taught him & treated him well? they don't deserve any return of favors. Bashing will not yeild any-thing & would suggest Mr. Rashid please stay-away as it's fight of those who still call Pakistan their home not some tourists destination.
AL
Oct 15, 2012 04:39am
US ought to stop people like you from immigrating to the US in the first place. If you have spli.t loyalties, just stay home in Pakistan.
Masood Hussain
Oct 13, 2012 03:15pm
You have done this in despair Mr.Rashid Ahmed Khan, but don't worry there will be ,soon,hundreds of Shah Sb.to take care of women and their education and these forces of darkness will be defeated.
Sekar, USA
Oct 13, 2012 03:17pm
Nice story. Many of us from South asia - India and Pakistan have similar experiences. Those bitter experience have been the fuel for our success here in the USA. Mr.Khan obviously has done well and so has his daughter. It was a valid reason not to take his daughter back to a country which treats its own people in such despicable way where you may pay with your life if you go to school or listen to music or you worship a diferent God or you wear a certain dress. I would not. At the same time I would not allow his past unpleassant experiences to him or his parents continue to rankle him and influence hsi future actions. In other words do not let the past continue to negatively affct the present or future. Let it go and move on . Cherish the present nad his family and daughter. Enjoy the success and do good both in The US and in Pakistan. Perhaps help a girls school in Pakistan using his daughter as a role model. That would give greater satisfaction in the long run.
Amer
Oct 13, 2012 01:17pm
Quite intriguing tale..its a pity that minority few now responsible for the fate of the majority. Why? Did we let this happen to our selves. Were we weak from within? Is God not on our side...??not sure what went wrong....but certainly our faith need to be strong enough to believe that we will once again become an aspiring nation with self-belief
syr66@yahoo.com
Oct 13, 2012 01:16pm
now pak-americans are doing pak-bashing...ha ha.. we are ok here Mr Shahid you stay there...thanks
Dr. Malek Towghi/Tauqee (Baloch)
Oct 15, 2012 05:46am
Thanks, Nisha !
syr66@yahoo.com
Oct 13, 2012 01:13pm
You dont belong here. Thanks for cancelling your plans.
lovePakistan
Oct 13, 2012 03:12pm
Many westerners will say the same thing, but that doesn't mean they really want a desi husband. Likewise, while most Pakistani women stay home, they really do envy those who don't for they have far more say in family matters and their husbands LISTEN to them. When men are sole breadwinners, they become the sole decision makers, seldom bothering to consult with their wives, be it a major decision to move out of state, or a minor decision to eat dinner out. They just take for granted the wife would go along with their wishes obediently. Stay at home women do feel like they have very little value. Trust me, that is a common complaint of Pak mothers. My response to them is to go get a job, be productive, and you'll learn to value yourself. Once you do that, your family will see you differently
sf
Oct 15, 2012 04:56am
If they are happier then why are they leaving the country.
M Sultan Dars
Oct 14, 2012 07:04am
really he has got a confused mind set.. he should know that out of 180 million pakistanis , few are of such extremist thought...
saquib1151ib
Oct 13, 2012 02:16pm
this article gave me goose bumps and helped me relate to my story in a bigger picture! One should not forget his/her basics and thank Allah for His blessings. The more you pray for good, the double comes back to you and that is how 'nature' works. Besides, Am astonished to see some our brothers, who, have taken up negative stance when it comes to their viewpoint. Well, one should be optimistic and try to take lessons out, if some positive piece is written and expressed with full devotion. Thank you for sharing this article as this has certainly, made my day and motivated you to write more! Towards Next-read Saquib
Ahmed
Oct 14, 2012 02:54am
Many times in the past 30 years I have felt Pakistan has reached a low and it will improve. But each time Pakistan falls even lower. I feel Pakistan going to implode or collapse or have revolution. I feel so happy I am not living in this country anymore
observer
Oct 14, 2012 02:52am
Anwar Amjad, you cannot be more incorrect. Sorry. Please get some insight into how things work on security and political front.
Anwar Iqbal
Oct 13, 2012 03:11pm
Hold on folks, I love Pakistan as much as you do. It
punevision
Oct 13, 2012 02:07pm
No Sir. I disagree. How many Pakistanis who love their country will allow their daughters to roam around the country all by themselves? Pakistanis themselves do not consider their own country safe for women so how can anybody would not stop their daughters who are raised abroad to visit the country? This is one count where India fares better. I see women all over...in work force, living lives by themselves, booking tickets by themselves and roaming around the country and even remote villages by themselves. And I am not talking about women from privileged classes with private security, I am talking about women from poor and middle class families who are sustaining themselves. India also lags far behind and we are not where we want to be in terms of freedom for women but its at least secure enough for women to move around without having to worry about being murdered.
Sufi Shah
Oct 13, 2012 02:06pm
Nazar Sandhu is that the only point you could understand in the whole piece?
lovePakistan
Oct 13, 2012 03:00pm
well one thing is true about Pakistanis and Indians. They don't respect you for who you are but who your ancestors were. You could be a Harvard graduate, but if you grandma washed dishes for the zamindars, you remain a her grandchild. Very sad
g m patra
Oct 14, 2012 01:27pm
I disagree with Babar. Throwing a plate in a $100 per meal restaurant would not leave a mark on any body's life in the restraunt but kicking a dcently clothed man out from eating at the restaurant just because he did not have even "more better" clothes would rmain a mark on the kicked man for ever.
Saeed
Oct 13, 2012 02:11pm
In America for last three hundred year there is never a women president .But in Pakistan brief time of democracy people elected women PM . So I don't understand which country who have more respect for women It's more to do with religion than Pakistan law and system.
azhar
Oct 13, 2012 04:25pm
i totally disliked the rashid,s way of thinking.. nw rashid sahib is a successfull guy so he must think of going back to his village and do something for it instead of stoping himself n his daughter as well, malala being a young she continoued her studies there even receiving threats of death, so i salute to the courage n bravery of malala and rashid should learn from this icon of youth(malala).. i m really sorry to say that rashid,s way of thinking hurt me alot>>>
Tahir
Oct 13, 2012 04:24pm
And US drone attacks justify hunting down a young woman of your own? Please do not be an apologist for such cowardice.
Nina
Oct 14, 2012 10:30am
Here we go again. Lectures to stop hating Indians and Hindus. Does this article mention anything about Indians or Hindus? This article is as much about Hindus as it is about the Grand Prix!
Karimov
Oct 13, 2012 04:23pm
Really a heartfelt story, this is not a story of one Rashid Khan and Shamila, it
syr66@yahoo.com
Oct 13, 2012 04:22pm
Yes. Shahid never said anything about drones that killed thousands of Malala's
(Dr.) B.N. Anand
Oct 13, 2012 04:19pm
Sir, I am quite impressed with this article which Mr. Anwar Iqbal has penned down, as well as the general comments of distinguished readers. It does indicate that at last the people of Pakistan have stopped living in denial. But it is a pity that this realization came only when the monster they nourished for many years for to be used against others has started devouring the masters. I hope this thinking stays for all times. Surely, this change in attitude will help not only the people of Pakistan but its neighbors as well. It ultimately also proves that only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches. Regards BNA
Asif Husain
Oct 14, 2012 08:15pm
What happened to Malala is tragic and reprehensible but to use this attack on her by a bunch of extremists as evidence that women in general are not respected in the Pakistani society is gross exaggeration and misrepresentation of reality. How you treat a woman (like in any other society) will depend will upon your background, upbringing and education and women in most decent educated and sensible Pakistani families are given the respect and importance they deserve
Madan
Oct 13, 2012 04:16pm
The contents in the blog appear to be facts and genuine.There is a lesson to be learnt for those pakistanis who live in foreign countries.God bless all those families.
Rashida Khan
Oct 14, 2012 01:03am
My daughter wants to serve with Doctors without borders. I hope some day she can visit Pakistan and show by way of kindness and service that tyrants cannot hold anyone back, that fear is the only real weapon they have and that fear is an empty weapon against those with real convictions of their hearts..
Aamir Farooq
Oct 14, 2012 01:08am
I live in England and i find nothing here to secure my kids, specially my daughter. I'am strong on my resolve of sending her to Pakistan for her education and up bringing. The western society has nothing for kids specially females
Sohail
Oct 13, 2012 04:11pm
I will tell you why Malala is different than others. Every human life is important but Malala represents the voice of courage and reason amongst a misguided bunch of crazy terrorists. She is the voice of education and respect.
wasim ahmed
Oct 13, 2012 04:03pm
we also don't need people like you...who runs away from country and than only say bad things.. stay in america.. and enjoy life... people like u just need an excuse to satisfy their inner inferiority. .
Bashy Quraishy
Oct 14, 2012 01:13am
"I want my daughter to love my faith, so she will not visit Pakistan" by Anwar Iqbal is a classical example of self-hatred and snobbery of a journalist towards Pakistan. No one can or should deny that there are problems in Pakistan but to magnify it to such an extent that people start returning their air line tickets because of an unfortunate accident or horrible act of extremism, is beyond god journalism. Writing a story to highlight a point is a professional thing but to use an unfortunate incident to preach hatred for ones homeland is pure evil and treacherous behavior towards ones motherland. Pakistan may be in a lot of hot water but we should not be disappointed and frustrated. We should be pro-active and resilient. Things will change. In my travels, I have seen many countries, which are worst of than Pakistan, but their citizens do not look down upon their homelands. This honor goes to us
pervaiz
Oct 13, 2012 12:03pm
Now a days childrens are being used in politics too. What a cheap and dirty politics played by our politicians... Malala herself is the part of game, she being is used to create bad image of pakistan in all over the world. Everyone is now talking about Taliban, about her etc etc. Talibans are also the part of greater game which is being played. Talibans are the bad character in movie but this bad character is helping police to attack pakistan. Alas My indian/Pakistani bro and sister are unable to understand this game... shame on us.
Akbar Ali
Oct 14, 2012 01:02pm
its amazing how you read the whole article and take out one little part, egomaniac ignorance they call it i presume.
ramanuj ghosh
Oct 13, 2012 02:31pm
This is an absolutely fantastically articulated piece , very poignant and reflects the plight of woman from south asia
Virkaul
Oct 15, 2012 04:20am
Problem solved......
Shams Islam
Oct 13, 2012 03:38pm
From the story I gather, that Shahid Khan is not enlighten and there for cannot see beyond the obvious. Pakistan is ruled by Taliban minded people because we are here in our comforts and contributing to this society, Who are we to pass judge the people of Pakistan. Contribute to Pakistan even if very little.
nt
Oct 15, 2012 07:41am
After migrating in any western country and living a comfortable life with govt hand outs and working for cash money,they hate that country's religion and way of life and dream converting people of that country to islam
raj kumar chhabra
Oct 13, 2012 12:12pm
Dear Sandu, There are still so many girls in the U S they do obey parents, and they do know what is right and what is wrong. Sheeda bro sorry Rashid bro had only daughter, what do you expect from a father after reading that Malala's news?.....Comme on dear Sandhu , if You are " Khan Sahib "what will you do??..I agree with dear Manjee you missed the point entirely. God Bless Our dear daughter Malala, Jald sehat aabi ki Dua ke saath
Tahir
Oct 13, 2012 03:41pm
@Nisha Rai Your attitude reflects the disrespect that Mr. Khan fears for returning to his village. You show no empathy to a legitimate concern he expresses. I wonder how much respect you show your own children.
syr66@yahoo.com
Oct 14, 2012 04:22pm
these are US and UN stats
Aamir Farooq
Oct 15, 2012 03:26am
I worked in marriot islamabad for 10 years. nothing as such every happened. neither , till date has any one been charged $100 per person for a dinner.
Canadian
Oct 13, 2012 03:34pm
The gentleman smashed a plate in a hotel. He is immature and unstable. There are better ways of dealing with past injustice and grief. Islam teaches us something else. He should have thought about the Islamic scholar who was his mentor.The blogger-seeminhly a friend-and the main character have much to learn and little to contribute to enlightenment. Hope they will solve their personal problems and contribute positively to eliminate this outrageous extremism and violence and see optimism and happiness in future.
Indian
Oct 15, 2012 05:40am
Wrong...Indiara Gandhi took chair way before benazir..in 1966..
SJH
Oct 14, 2012 09:52am
Who will decide what humanity is all about? something humane for me can be inhumane for others. We believe that it is Islam only that sets the boundaries, otherwise there is chaos only. This particular action was by some lunatics in the name of religion.
Sam T
Oct 13, 2012 03:20pm
Thanks for sharing this beautiful story and the lessons this provides to our people. I wish people like Khan stand up to this injustice toward women, and you Mr. Iqbal to bring these stories to the world.
NASAH (USA)
Oct 14, 2012 12:55pm
Could not be any meaner than -- being refused to be served -- in the United States an entire civil rights revolution is based upon that -- refusal to be served.
faz
Oct 14, 2012 12:55pm
well said
T, Nawaz
Oct 14, 2012 06:42am
Creation of confused mind set.
Arindam
Oct 13, 2012 02:42pm
I can understand Rashid Sahib's point of view - his disappointment is justified - but I would argue that the problem will not be solved by staying away from it - Malala showed that you have to take it head on. Just my 2 cents!
Rizwan ul hasan khan
Oct 13, 2012 02:36pm
Wonderful , emotional, very touching story according to the current situation.. Dawn has a great team of correspondents like Mr. Anwar Iqbal.............. I wish if I would have written such a thrilling article.
Upkar Gill
Oct 14, 2012 06:46am
I agree with you but there is a system there ( INDIA ) where you can prosecute.
Upkar Gill
Oct 14, 2012 06:43am
well said
jibranj@msn.com
Oct 13, 2012 01:27pm
this is pathetic, today the nation is standing to Taliban and extreme forces that we will not change our way of live, we will send girls to school no matter what. I think this guy should be ashamed of himself
Ahmed Saleem
Oct 14, 2012 06:41am
yes you are absolutely right. these people have their own agenda to take care of.
Anjaan
Oct 13, 2012 03:08pm
Yawar commented quote - " We think and act as though we know what is right and what is not. And there lies the problem. Because what is
Ahsan E.
Oct 15, 2012 08:29am
And I dont blame Rashid...
Tanvir
Oct 13, 2012 03:05pm
This is a portrayal of typical american way of thinking: if taliban do something wrong then blame Islam for it and if a bunch of Pakistanis do something wrong then blame the whole nation
Ray
Oct 13, 2012 03:03pm
Having lived in Attock, 1996-1997, I am somewhat familiar with your country. I surely had many friends and did all I could to become part of my neighborhood. My wife started with a young girl, Faisa, of about 10 and her little brother teaching English at our home. Very quickly what was very low key instruction became a group of sometimes 12 children or more. The children ranged in ages from about 3 to 15 and were enjoyed very much. They were mostly Pashto, but we had others. In early 2001, we returned to Attock to visit and had about 30 children at a gathering in Faisa's house.
pathanoo
Oct 13, 2012 06:15pm
Amir, I will enlighten you. Till you have a reformation of Islam nothing will change. CAN YOU HANDLE THAT OR YOUR MIND JUST BLEW UP WITH ANGER?
pathanoo
Oct 13, 2012 06:16pm
TOUCHING ON EVERY HUMAN LEVEL EVEN IF JUST A STORY. POIGNANT.
john d'costa
Oct 13, 2012 06:24pm
yes im sure most muslim women in pakistan feelthe same
Roshni
Oct 13, 2012 06:24pm
Yes Benazir was elected but what did you do to her, shot her dead too, shame on you people!
BRR
Oct 13, 2012 06:29pm
What a male chauvanist - wants to be a hero and feed his family and keep them clothed - would rather have them dependent on his graces so that he feels important and needed - a macho guy. No wonder women need help in Pakistan with more such men with frail egos.
Rajesh
Oct 13, 2012 06:32pm
Mr.Anwar Iqbal, though I might claim to be a Hindu and very angry at Pakistan's misadventures in India, I confess you brought tears rolling down my eyes. This is a fantastic insight ..
BRR
Oct 13, 2012 06:32pm
Let Pakistanis stop hating others first, before they expect help. Stop hating Indian and all hindus, stop hating christians and the whole west. Stop hating yourself first. Stop hating Shias, Ahmedias, and the list goes on. Just stop hating - even if you cannot love. Pew research center has over the last decade published detailed stats about the amount of hatred in pakistan.
Chanda
Oct 13, 2012 06:34pm
I think the guy is scape goating and being a coward. Just wants to save the ticket money...
Fida Sayani
Oct 13, 2012 06:44pm
Khan Saheb decision not to take his ivy league educated daughter to Pakistan is a faulty one. I hope he will rescind his decision and take his educated daughter to Pakistan and set up an example what education can do to an individual.
milind
Oct 13, 2012 06:47pm
Very sensitive strory iread on pakistani papers how ever i feel sad but also get upsetwhat they decide for woman is not fair also you are themain hero (people of pakistan) who come out from such chaos situation but i am afraid that will you pay price for that
Pramod
Oct 15, 2012 08:39am
That does not mean Pakistan has lot of respect for Women. What BB had got is very much like passing on the power from a king to his heirs. Very much like Gandhi family in India. She got those pwoers because of her father . How many women from normal families has gone to reach that height.that is the question.
jd shami
Oct 15, 2012 12:18am
Thank you, stay over there. we do not need u here, we r already 185 millions of people here.
Shahid
Oct 13, 2012 07:16pm
I respect his decision to not take his daughter to PK . However, I am not sure I understand the logic. I have been living overseas for the last 37 years but still like my country of birth. Talibans are a bunch of criminals and one day will be treated as such. We (ISI) created them to get the so-called "strategic depth" and their creators still consider them an asset to go after that elusive goal once the US and NATO leave Afghanistan. The civilian government is too corrupt and weak to challenge the ISI and go after this monster. The Talibans are not undefeatable if the major state players wish to get rid of them.
lalit bagai
Oct 13, 2012 07:18pm
beautiful. i am a hindu liveing in danmark. my family lived in dera ismail khan about 65 years ago. we still have good relations with the people from that time. i have regard and respect for pathans, though we think differently.. i feel sad about malala. truly a remarkable person. india also treats girls unfairly ,especialy those liveing in villages. its a bloody shame.
SA
Oct 13, 2012 07:18pm
It is extremey tragic. I am not sure how this will end and when. It appears there is no answer. When you feel that bottom has been reached. Another abyss opens up. It is very sad.
mmymasood
Oct 13, 2012 07:24pm
Mr Rasheed i respect your feelings. But i want to ask some thing that did you noticed that as people behaved with you before you went to America. The same thing you did when you came here in Pakistan. Whats this dual policy all Pakistanies do? when the went abroad the follow the rules, try to clean the environment, but when they came here in Pakistan, they do the same thing as All the pakistanies doing here. They show off to peoples with their money and their english. Do you think that english is the altimate thing? thats the just communication international language. Every one can learn and speak english as many people do. So dont try here to impress people, some times they hurt and feel embarassment. Try to gather with him as your culture say and avoid your extra conciousness when you are in between them. Because at the end every one who is in foreign country come back when he is old or when he cant work or sorry to say when he is useless and most of people come when their child become 18 year old. Thats the fact. to change the environment we have to change our thinking not the style.
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 07:21pm
"We sharply distinguish between Islam in itself and what people do in its name." . Ibrahim Al-Buleihi
Junior
Oct 15, 2012 08:21am
Good on you. As long as law and its enforcement is not a reality in Pakistan, all are in danger. As long as polititians are corrupt, we are in danger. As long as the mafias are in force, we are in danger. I could go on and on, and the reason to say this is because across all the cities I have been too in Pakistan, I have allways seen the great diference between respect for and fear off. Respect: if you respect your women, why cant they go out without a gard? You dont trust her or you dont trust the man???????? If respect a woman, why she allways has to walk far behind you(the man)?????? If you respect your whoman, why you (man) continue sale them to the better party for marriege???????? If you love your whoman and respect them, why you only talk about love when you talk about your mother????Is it that the other whomen shoould'nt be loved??????? We could go on and on and on but I think this conversation should take place 20 years from now and see if the changes have really taken place. To the man that does not take his dougther to Pakistan, I think you are right, let you doughter know about Pakistan, from far. She save there? Or is she????????????????????
Nisha Rai
Oct 14, 2012 06:40pm
Malek saab, salaam! It is people like you who work hard, take care of the family, educate the children, that make this world a decent place. No matter which country one lives in, study, study, study! Education is the key.
kanza syed
Oct 13, 2012 07:26pm
salam ... i think we should face this ... rather than running out of pakistan is not a better decision n isnt a solution... once we all gets united weither from which castes or races we be every thng wud change n there wud definately be a positive sign...! ..
Shaukat
Oct 14, 2012 06:39pm
It was a story made to demean Pakistan, I am living in Pakistan for last four years, but feel proud that most of the country is very good. People are innocent, connected and loving. Taliban are the one created by US, trained by US, and now we all face the consequences. There was nothing wrong in Pakistan. However, one thing is real that the system requires some mending. We love Pakistan we love her people. Taliban are not our people, they are aliens and are ruthless because of their training given by Pakistanis and US. Rasheed should have brought her daughter and would have enjoyed more to see his success graph. But he himself could not come out of the inferiority complex therefore it the story is true his behavior has issues. So do not take this a something to be scared off. Malala incident has proved that we will act brave and will throw this menace out of our borders by the help of our brave Army!
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 07:31pm
"In American we judge you by what you do, not by who your father was." Union General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain to his troops of the 20th Maine.
Kolsat
Oct 14, 2012 12:17am
What unity? Ahmedis, Hindus, Shias, and other religious minorities are traumatised. If this what Pakistanis call unity you can have it.
Abrahim
Oct 14, 2012 10:11pm
I would describe him nothing more than coward
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 07:34pm
Drones have not killed thousands. It is a passion with Pakistanis to inflate the numbers.
aqabdulaziz
Oct 14, 2012 06:32pm
He is not a coward. He is just being pragmatic. As a father, he worries about her safety. Pakistan cannot provide safety. Even military and ISI officials move about in unmarked cars.
shoaib
Oct 13, 2012 07:38pm
Malala so poor so are the Kids killed iin drone attackk.so mr author,,why u only blaming taliban( not mujahidin) not america..any reason
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 07:43pm
The problem is that it is difficult for people to see the solution. The beginning is unity. Don't let religion divide you. Be tolerant of others.
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 07:50pm
Life is not a game. "War games are preparation for a time when war is no longer a game." Jan de Hartog (from his premiere anti war novel of World War II, The Captain.)
reality not selected truth
Oct 14, 2012 07:43pm
I dont agree that women are not respected in pakistan. Working in pakistan in a govt. hospital one year was the best working place i have ever worked in. After that i came abroad and gone were all the previliges of being woman one received from peon to the head of department. I was used to get service without asking for it. People even took care of the fact that you being woman should not get tired. Their were some basic manners due to traditions. It took med 4 months to find out that many males at my work did smoking as they hid this from their female colleagues. To my surprize abroad noone offered to take your heavy baggage you have to carry it yourself. No male at job takes heavier work which i still think is extremely inappropriate. Noone has any self respect. They divide it exactly in half. All i want to say is there is a reason you got this height and strength. Use common sense certain things nature has decided. Women should be treated and respected like women nomatter where you are.
atta
Oct 13, 2012 08:03pm
I do not agree and codemn what has happened to Malala. But at the same time I do not agree with the view presented in this article. Two wrongs can not be equal to right. I think that people shoul not justify their own intentions or actions on the basis of other people's actions.
Aamir
Oct 13, 2012 08:17pm
What is wrong with those people who disliked this comment ?
Backwoodsman
Oct 14, 2012 11:34pm
After 2xBB, 2xMNS, decade of Mush, and King Zardari, we are still blaming Zia?
Gaiz
Oct 14, 2012 11:37pm
some comments over here blaming America for everything. Blaming USA for Taliban wont help. Although America armed them several decades ago, does not mean they are fighting with the same arms. They have got new weaponry and new means to fight that America did not provide. Someone else did, it will be nice to introspect who did. Today America has no connection with Taliban and blaming America for the acts of Taliban is only as good as blaming me for the acts of my grand son. Doesn't work that way.
aziz
Oct 14, 2012 07:28pm
I salute you man, you have exactly said that which I am feeling at the moment. Hats up for you.
Dr. Malek Towghi/Tauqee
Oct 13, 2012 08:34pm
As a father of six highly educated (two with Ph.D.s), as a grandfather of five (with more on their way, hopefully) -- and as a person coming from a socioeconomic background similar to that of Rashid -- I offer five salutes to Rashid Ahmad Khan for having the courage to tell the truth about the suffocating (and stinking ) socioeconomic discriminations in South Asia -- and a full salute to Anwar Iqbal who put the story in this brilliant piece. It was also nice of Rashid to remember the noble "Shah Sahib". With a ton of LOVE for both of you, Rashid & Anwar, Malek Towghi/Tauqee (Baloch), Ph.D., East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Tahir
Oct 13, 2012 08:40pm
Drone attacks in your mind justify murdering of your own people? You have some twisted logic. Why should Shahid Khan say anything about drone attacks?
ali
Oct 13, 2012 08:40pm
Rashid should have taken his daughter and try to change the mind set of the people, millions of girls in the villages are fighting hardships, it would have given them some encouragement.
aaa
Oct 14, 2012 07:16pm
Dont get distracted by such news. Master degree is commonly taken by girls in pakistan as well. Rather more so by girls as they are more studious. This is a special case in a special area.
sanu
Oct 13, 2012 09:00pm
Muslims always try to be muslim first, how better would have been if muslims would have tried to be human first.
waseem
Oct 14, 2012 05:27pm
Dear i m absolutely disagree with u, bcz u r far away from the reality and i would like to say that it was a preplanned game by U.S and our politicians as well. there can b many reasons behind this attack but unfortunately v just look at the surface structure, so plz be aware and get up further, dont be like a kid of primary level.thanks
khan in chandler
Oct 14, 2012 05:44pm
A friend of mines daughter-in-law was gunned down in Islamabad a few years back by a fanatic from frontier, she is alive but lost control of her arm. That was her first visit ever from US after getting married, then the guy who shot her killed himself. Lesson learned: do not take your foreign born kids to Pakistan as they are not safe. Good job Mr. Khan, Pakistan needs to be safe before we take the kids there. Just to clear myself, I buy made in Pakistan things if I see them in a store, no matter what the price is, I travel on PIA and always have for the last 40 years in USA, now I am looking to outsouce my IT to Pakistan . So, I do my part, but will not allow this senseless violence on my kids.
saurabh
Oct 14, 2012 05:29pm
well said
Allaisa Xuver
Oct 14, 2012 05:42pm
What in sarcasm don't you understand?
abcxyz
Oct 13, 2012 09:36pm
I stopped reading after reaching the plate throwing incident...i think no self respecting person will humiliate some waiter/waitress like that...let alone if he himself has been through rough times. Another thing I hate is the idea of getting back...who is he trying to get back at, "THEM" , he should remember he got the chance to rise in THEIR country...
Waleed
Oct 13, 2012 09:39pm
its funny you write this article because it is YOUR country..the US that has put us in this position..it was YOUR country that indoctrinated these crazy people against the russians and all these fundementalist beliefs were the collateral damage we have had to deal with over the last 30 years....very easy to write a sob story now....
Nazim
Oct 15, 2012 08:19am
I'm to wish very good luck to all Pakistanis living in or out side Pakistan. No need to be afraid of visiting Pakistan... you would get love, respect, prayers besides some negative remarks but it's all about life.... Probably a day would come when Pakistanis in America would be waiting in long queues to wait for their turn to return back to avail the same opportunities for the sake of which they had traveled to US....Regards!
Azkaa
Oct 13, 2012 09:55pm
Oh Allah! Please restore Malala's health! She is a blessing to pakistan.
Allaisa Xuver
Oct 14, 2012 05:36pm
I very much his story. I have been to many five star restaurants in the US but never ever was refused to be served unless they had a dress code which is their right to have. In San Francisco I was told at a sailing club I won't be served in one of the dining rooms unless I was wearing a jacket but was directed to another room where there was no such restriction.
Roshni
Oct 14, 2012 11:00pm
That is so true what you wrote, however I would personally be very cautious to take my daughter back there if I had a daughter. Unfortunately there is no safety and security there, it only takes once to hurt for life, don't want to take that chance. May Allah protect us all and safeguard us from the evil which can happen any place in the world. I sincerely hope that our authorities and armed forces in Pakistan completely eradicate those few who shoot, kill, and kidnap unnecessarily, I hope to see some action, it's time to clean up the country and preserve it's reputation. Inshallah!
Susan shaffer
Oct 14, 2012 10:52pm
I married a Pakistani. I am a little surprised that the son of a dishwasher was able to get a visa. My husband has two degrees and we had to jump through a lot of hoops in order for him to come for a visit when our kids were born. I didn't want to risk anything when they were born because there are such high infant and mother mortality rates in pakistan. Anyway if it makes you feel better to smash plates. I see this as the old Pakistani way of humiliating someone rather than the western way of leaving no tip. My feeling about Pakistan is that there is not enough "bread and circuses" So I would rather my kids grow up outside Pakistan because of the opportunities. In the mean time we invest in Pakistan's future. With rolling blackouts businesses cannot work at full production. If the businesses could get enough electricity supplies then there would be enough bread for people. To address the circuses we are going to build water parks with restaurants. We will be giving free access from time to time to poor and to girls schools. I am sad that you want to turn your back on people who are like your mother. Think of them. You are in a position to make a difference. My personal feeling is that the USA should have invested in infrastructure rather than bullets and blood of their youth. Maybe my post will make some of you think about how to make the world safer for all.
David M
Oct 14, 2012 08:53pm
Altaf 'bhai' should learn from Malala .. this teenager stood up to Taliban, while he hides in London!
muhammadasifpatentexaminer
Oct 13, 2012 10:20pm
May Allah bless Malala and all of us. Muhammad Asif Patent Examiner
evoomarket
Oct 13, 2012 10:44pm
Mr. Rashid Khan has no respect for his own daughter's acoomplishments. She's an eduacted and grown woman who can make up her own mind about his village and Pakistan. It seems the only reason he wants to go back is show off.
raju
Oct 13, 2012 10:56pm
No matter what your religion or nationality is we all are humans and have feelings.
Abbas
Oct 13, 2012 11:19pm
This story tells us two great lessons. One of inspiration of Shah Sahib that changed the life of Rashid Ahmed and second of Rashid Ahmed who was unable to relay the torch of hope to the next generation of his village. It is our selfishness that we refute our environment that we live in and but unable to make any contribution to it no matter how small; even if it is just to take our child to visit a reality (rashid's village). Is our faith so weak?. May be we just have an animated faith and it is so much true for those who live in America. Why? because I know first hand as I'm one of them. Long Live Pakistan and Longer to Live Islam...
human
Oct 15, 2012 08:33am
Muslims would do well if they try to be good human beings first, being good muslim will then follow.
Haroon
Oct 13, 2012 11:23pm
Here is what happened. You (the nation) didn't stand up when it was happening to others. They were Christian, or Hindu, or Ahmadi, and it was quite acceptable for them to be killed, raped, or abused. Remember what happened to the Christian girl recently. People didn't stand up then because she was a Christian, even though she was also a minor. Now you are in shock when its happening to your own.
naz
Oct 13, 2012 11:33pm
there are thousands of people want to come back but these incidents discourage them,last hope is PTI ,just hope and pray for betterment of Pakistan.
afrem
Oct 14, 2012 08:41pm
One day, the employee who washed the plate that the Khan Sahib smashed, will have a similar story story to tell about how an arrogant Pakistani cost him his job while he was the only bread winner to a family of six.
Concerned Citizen
Oct 14, 2012 12:05am
Very nice article and I can relate well to it having grown up in Pakistan, having seen the villages and people that Mr. Iqbal has written about. I have been living abroad for 26 years and all of my immediate family is also living in USA and we have no intention of ever going back and living in Pakistan (I tried in 2006 but had to leave in 2008 due to daily bombings in and around Islamabad) and that was enough for me; things have got worse since then. However, I still care for Pakistan and the people who live there and I continue to think of ways that I could help this country and people. Education, good governance and tolerance for all sects and religions are some of the key ingredients for a progressive Pakistan. Keep writing, Mr. Iqbal as I have enjoyed your stories in the past and we all must do whatever we can to stand up against extremism.
Krishna Bhagawan (@KrishnaBhagawan)
Oct 15, 2012 06:49am
No it just mean you come from a previlaged background in pakistan. Ask your maid how is she treated
Suleman Khattak
Oct 15, 2012 06:50am
No good idea to cancel your visit to Pakistan.Seeing is believing.Unless you come & visit Pakistan only then you can have a fair idea as what actually the situation is.Women in Pakistan is not the way it used to be when you were living here.Now the things have changed.Please visit Pakistan and live the way you used to live before,only then will you feel the difference.We welcome you, sir!
snl4
Oct 14, 2012 04:57pm
This story touch my heart. Yes I agree that USA has hope for lot of Pakistani.
Meher Zaidi
Oct 15, 2012 08:53am
It is sad to hear what you think. It is even worse that you returned the gesture by breaking a plate. I am sure the manager and the waiter you humiliated had nothing to do with what happened to you years ago. I see your reference to the Prophet (p.b.u.h), well if you really want to pick and chose what he taught us then that is up to you, but he also taught to respect and not to humiliate, and not to take revenge. To win over people by love and respect! If you really care about your mother come and help ladies like her because by putting titles in your name does not make you a bigger or better person it is the actions that counts!!
Dilawer
Oct 14, 2012 12:22am
Just to let you all know that a girl from a a small part of karachi has a Ph.D. degree and now just earned an M.D. Thank you the great country of USA where there is no limit to what one can achieve.
sparky singh
Oct 14, 2012 12:24am
Let the girl learn what she can. Who gave the father the right to censor what facts his now fully grown daughter is allowed to see? Religion needs to stop being the holy cow some day soon. In the name or religion we have had to swallow some of the worst injustices in this world. Religion needs reforming just like everything else in this world. There are no real miracles in this world except when people allow themselves to change.
sparky singh
Oct 14, 2012 12:27am
What has your being hindu got to do with this?.. I thought we were all human first.. religion is just the accidental affiliation
Laxman
Oct 14, 2012 07:15am
Anwar Bhai, I called you as a bhai b'cos of our age. I love you the way you have been projecting true Pakistani in last couple of your article. Malala gave you one more oppurtunity to fight for your cause. Also you were too consistant in dropping few tears from my eyes whenever I read your blog. from your Indian friend.
Neo
Oct 14, 2012 07:22am
according to common sense knowledge and the wisdom that very few of pakistanis posses.
Babar
Oct 14, 2012 10:06am
I think throwing the plate was a very mean and disgusting act. Babar .TX
Asif
Oct 14, 2012 09:59am
I don't know how you can make a generalise statement that girls and women are not respected in Pakistan. I am also from Pakistan and what I can say from my experience that mothers, daughters and sisters are loved and cared for immensely. They hold very pivotal and hounourable position in home and in our lives. However I believe that efforts should be make to see that injustices and atrocities against women are eliminated where such instances occur in our country and it does happen in certain sections of the population. We need to continue to improve treatment of women in the country.
Muhammad Waseem Arfi
Oct 14, 2012 06:30am
Personal thoughts of a guy being put in nicely. I am an oversees and have kids too. But I strongly disagree with that man's thoughts.
Pervez UK
Oct 15, 2012 05:41am
I think people have misunderstood Mr. Khans comments . He was talking about his village and the better off villagers attitude and NOT about the majority of Pakistanis .
Omair
Oct 13, 2012 12:03pm
Loved the article but I feel you should not and cannot generalize in such a manner. We have had the first female prime minister, we have women ministers, we have women entrepreneurs, we have women CEOs, Women pilots, Women commissioners and the list goes on. Malala's incident is truly tragic however one should never lose hope. It has made only the enemy weaker and not us.
khwaja101
Oct 13, 2012 12:55pm
It really is a sad state of affairs. Pakistan will never be able to make the sort of progress that is evident in other countries if its youngsters are denied the ability to be properly educated
maher ihsan
Oct 13, 2012 12:57pm
its good story but cant judge the whole nation on just one incedent i think usa has more domestic abuse then in pakistan to mostly women these kind of things happen every where may be little more in pak but still more 50million girls or women live there its our beautifull country and we all are alwayes try to to blame it not to help it these ttp are only few hunderd so if we cant defend our self from them then god bless us
Arif
Oct 14, 2012 01:30pm
Pakistan is a country with population around 190 million. One incident is not enough to say that we treat our daughters, wife's and mothers like this. Just check how many females are getting education in Pakistan. Ratio is more than 50% and do all gets the bullet for the education????? No absolutly NO
Mahesh
Oct 14, 2012 01:30pm
hello,why not a revolution in PAK,overthrowing the extremists?
Siva D
Oct 14, 2012 03:07am
When the lady said that oh, your wife is so lucky, she may have meant it or she may have said it in politeness or in good humor. It is very common for people to say things like that here. That does not necessarily mean that she will start looking for a Pakistani husband. Having lived half my life in India and the rest in the US, I can tell you that most empowered women (ie., women with skills/education) will prefer to be financially independent than dependent, just like men (in India or here and perhaps in the rest of the world as well). If they have real choice in terms of their options and yet they stay home to rear their children and take care of their family, that is a choice that has to be respected. For many women esp. from south asia, such an option is non-existent. In which case, a lack of choice and being forced to be dependent on their husbands is nothing to gloat about.
Shoaib Mirza
Oct 14, 2012 03:40am
'I Provide' - smacks of male chauvinism to me.
desi
Oct 14, 2012 09:18pm
I think we need to be more specific about this here,don't talk about how the mothers and sisters are treated here,talk about how the wives are treated,thats where many aren't treated fairly and with much respect and thats the truth.
deepak
Oct 14, 2012 09:16pm
strange pakistani psychic....on one hand they curse western world like anything....on the other hand they will do anything to migrate to these countries
uthmanmalik
Oct 14, 2012 03:47am
Dear Author, you might have just met a mentally unstable man. Someone who throws plates at a top-notch restaurant should be politely asked to leave! And as for his pride of comparing his daughter with Malala, I am really made to wonder if his daughter was also raising voice on Human Right's abuse and obstruction to education at age of 14? Talk about some self-importance!
StooopedOne
Oct 14, 2012 04:35pm
Well said Nina. They all come here because they have no voice and are not allowed to speak there...
zafar
Oct 14, 2012 03:56am
Thank you for sharing this touching story about Rasheed, his daughter and their decision. I can relate to this on many levels, Except that I am not cancelling my plan to take my daughter to Pakistan next week. I am not going to allow one or two individuals to hijack our lives. There are more wonderful, peace loving and genuine people in Pakistan than the handful criminals, We need to do a better job containing such elements and render them ineffective. I want my daughter to see and feel the love and affection. I want her to see what is so great about Pakistan and also understand the challenges it faces. It is time that all Pakistani people and the officials make commitment to never allow any woman to be treated like they threatened and attacked Malala, These bright young ladies! Let us not crush their aspirations but encourage their ambitions. A mother plays the most important role in nurturing the development and growth of a child, our future. We need many more Malalas in Pakistan. May GOD bless Malala with speedy recovery and look after her safety.
Vijaykumar
Oct 14, 2012 03:57am
Touching ....
Santosh
Oct 14, 2012 04:50am
Mai Bhagwan se pray karata hu ki Malala ki tabiyat jaldi thik ho jaye. she is doing nice work . If pak educate it will be good for All of us.
Reas Ekbar.
Oct 15, 2012 07:58am
Why should I want my daughter to love my faith? She should be free to chose her faith when shew grows up. This is what Allah wants. Malala's sad episode has nothing to do with Islam or religion. The world knows that a war is going on. A war between Pakistan and Taliban. Malala was obviously against Taliban and had criticized on record.. She should expect a lasting reward from her Lord for sacrificing for the truth.
Reason it out
Oct 14, 2012 04:23pm
So very ell said.
G'me a break
Oct 14, 2012 04:22pm
Even one is too much.
abdul
Oct 14, 2012 04:59am
the case is overblown for political gain.
abdul
Oct 14, 2012 05:04am
I stood up against dictator Zia when nobody dared, nobody recognized me.
Sidewinder
Oct 14, 2012 05:07am
and you took her literally...
Muhammad Ahmed
Oct 13, 2012 12:16pm
First of all, May ALLAH give complete recovery to Malala Yousafzai. She is indeed a great kid and her sacrifice for education will not go in vain by mercy of ALLAH. Secondly, I will like to emphasize that people never sympathized with taliban because of their beliefs. The idea of islamic utopia gets propelled by level of corruption that exists in our society. I am surprised that author or Rasheed Khan would be worried about respect of women in our country. I will just show them videos of BB's return back in 80's as well as the long processions that followed Fatima Jinnah during her campaign in 1960s. I might not even rewind that much and take him to the capital talk video in Mingora where Taliban were standing when Malala was speaking with Taliban. We have incidents everywhere where there are sick people who like to justify their actions by any type of ideology that suits them. For every person who sympathizes with barbaric actions of Taliban we have those in West who on a similar note sympathize with Nazis.
dawood
Oct 14, 2012 01:33pm
Clearly Mr Rashid...you dont belong in Pakistan...You and your daughter need to stay out of it....There are 180 million people living in pakistan,much more than population of Canada and they are happier than citizen of US according to a recent survey...but it needs guts to live in this country and clearly a sensitive and paranoid man like you or your family dont need to come and enjoy this beautiful country.
Usman
Oct 14, 2012 06:55am
According to who, CNN?
Mo
Oct 14, 2012 05:13am
I absolutely agree with Rashid's decision not to go back or take her daughter to Pakistan. Being a pakistani (from Khi) and living here in the US for 20+ years, and hearing all the stories (forget the dawn news)....all the news and thing happening in Pakistan to our old family members, old friends, collegues, neighbors etc, it just makes me cry and feel sorry. Pakistani nation has been talibanized by the Mullahs, foreigners (from outside arab countries), and the local Afghanis and the situation is a sorry state of affairs within the nation. I would dare never to visit Pakistan (not even Khi) with my kids in this circumstances. Change happens within, and unless the pakistani people do not change things around within a quick period of time I strongly believe my once beloved Country will become just like another Afghanistan.
Sanjay
Oct 14, 2012 05:15am
I totally agree here. Even though Indians & Pakistanis are living in diff countires this trait is all to prevalent amongst them And its nice
ayaz
Oct 14, 2012 05:31am
I am also a believer in woman education and would continue to send my daughters to school. Whatever is narrated in the above article and the comments is one side of the story much believed but what if it is the other way round.I believe this to be a conspiracy of the government to get peoples support to launch a massive crackdown against people living in tribal areas to please US. Soon we ll also see governments' strict stance on drone attacks and US agreeing for the time being till PPP wins the election again and US again returns to his norms for the next 5 years.
Friend of Pak
Oct 14, 2012 04:46pm
You reap what you sow
Truth
Oct 14, 2012 11:02am
It seams like a Indian Film story. :p
ww
Oct 14, 2012 02:25am
he always comes up with some kind of sad story.....all made up stuff
Hassan
Oct 14, 2012 02:26pm
Made up story. If it really is true I am happy this person does not come to Pakistan. We have our own problems but it is us who will fix them and people like him do not need to return. I am studying at one of most prestigious business schools in US but I love my country and whatever I am today this country has a major role to play in that. The respect he is talking about I think does not remind him what US did to Dr. Afia and number of other people. Furthermore if story is true I believe the man has still not got out of his own complexes.
concerned human
Oct 14, 2012 09:51am
i am an indian and i feel this article is logic less. Yes, there are problems in india, pakistan, bangladesh etc but what i hate about is such poor people when they become rich forget to behave well with other poor people. suddenly being american they consider themselves to be above south asians. they want to come back only to satisfy their ego and show off to people. I mean what have they done extra ? there are thousands of millionares who have lived in south asia and have become rich.
rafiq meghani
Oct 14, 2012 01:50pm
My family, all born in Pakistan, settled in USA. I let my daughter visit Pakistan, every year. I believe if her death is written on Pak soil, so that be it. We live in USA for some medical reasons, otherwise Pakistan is in our blood and everything. I take care of my relatives from here and that is my duty, may be that is the reason, God helped me settling in USA. BUT we are not scared of death and we would visit Pakistan every time we get chance.
Baber Khan
Oct 14, 2012 11:50am
Yes, indeed! And once if Pakistan improves and becomes civilised, I believe you will return to your "beloved country" to serve it better!
akhter husain
Oct 15, 2012 07:55am
My country is my pride.I do not care what it gives or takes away from me,for I am not a trader,but a citizen in its complete sense.We are the people who like wise and humble ones without any care of their wealth or status,nor vengeance is our trait
sali
Oct 14, 2012 09:52pm
How many places in Pakistan does this stroy applies? Malala represents a region and culture who triditionally have mixed their culture with religion. Please don't apply this to whole Pakistan.
observer
Oct 14, 2012 02:50am
I am sure Dawn will not publish my comment but let me type it in. Is this story fiction or real? Are news articles supposed to be fiction? Is it only in Pakistan that columnists create their own characters and write fiction columns or is this practice international? Any informative answers? No biased opinions please.
Zubeida Khan (@NetSamui)
Oct 14, 2012 09:48pm
Cannot get over it!!! So cruel!! We are not living in the Dark Ages!!
khan
Oct 13, 2012 09:42am
it means you are only self centered..... go please go away and never return..... we will have alot of malalas!
Anoop M
Oct 13, 2012 09:44am
Very engrossing story. And how pertinent. But I am also surprised that when almost all Pakistanis know what is right and what is not, why don't things change?
usama
Oct 13, 2012 12:36pm
please write solutions for problems.... dnt earn fame by playing with feeling..!! contribute to Pakistan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yawar
Oct 13, 2012 12:30pm
When someone is made to feel unimportant, disrespected or ignored by society, or by a certain group of society, sooner or later he or she will lash out. Rashid Khan lashed out in a way he saw fit. The Taliban are lashing out in a different way. Our Holy Prophet set a fine example for us by not ignoring or disrespecting anyone, be it a Bedouin or a slave. He got rid of the class system that existed in Mecca. But unfortunately, we in Pakistan still engage in this jahiliya practice that the author has protrayed so well in his story. Please sir, continue writing your stories.
Tamilslevan
Oct 13, 2012 12:31pm
You missed the point. It shows that even though you could be an adult, educated at an Ivy school etc the girl shows respect to her father and they want to maintain the roots of her culture.Note culture of South Asia is different where even if you enter a poor man's house for the first time he will not let you go without offering something to drink. This has nothing to do with religion but culture of thousands of years of cultured civalization
f0rest
Oct 13, 2012 12:32pm
Why won't her father let her develop her own understanding about Pakistan? She earned a Master degree for God sake, & is old enough to know what's Good and Bad about Pakistan. It's really sad that his father had such a bad experience in Pakistan but really, the actions of her father are more like avenging his own past for his self-satisfaction rather what's really right about Pakistan.
Zabardasst
Oct 13, 2012 12:35pm
Disgusting nation there is no such thing as good people in that country.
Dr Sameena Hussain FRCS
Oct 14, 2012 06:00am
No my friend. Its the Haqani network and Mullah Omar we should eliminate first who are being sheltered by our establishment. They are the root cause of all our maladie. Destroy the root and the branches will fade` away.
idris khan
Oct 14, 2012 03:56pm
i donot agree at all with this mr.rashid.i lived in england and america for almost 55 years.i am retired know.i live in a village in charsadda i am very happy and proud to part of this culture.i have a daughter and a son they both went to the british universties.they allways enjoy to be in pakistan.this person they way he come accross is suffering from inferiorty complex.idris khan.
Syma Ahmed
Oct 14, 2012 06:05am
Amazing post and a brilliant comment that followed "Those who criticize what they think is wrong with their country also love it, perhaps more than others. It is their love that motivates them to seek a solution."
kumar USA
Oct 14, 2012 06:09am
good joke ...
ejaz
Oct 14, 2012 06:10am
could be exaggerated!
Woman
Oct 14, 2012 01:51pm
Women maids all over the place? Wow, that is progress!
Peter
Oct 14, 2012 11:26am
Kayani Unless you have authentic information to refute please do not get swayed by Taliban PR machine
kumar USA
Oct 14, 2012 06:20am
Very good question , I womder the same. I think diferrence is is that people like you and me say all nice things behind the doors, but what matters is what you do in public, Malala is diferrent that she was same outside the house and inside,
Faqi
Oct 13, 2012 09:57am
As always, your pen has produced a touching tale with a powerful message. Brought lots of tears but lets still not lose hope.
SAIF
Oct 13, 2012 09:58am
STORIES ARE ALOT IN PAKISTAN BECAUSE THIS ILLFATED COUNTRY IS IN THE GRIP OF IGNORANT MULVI AND SO CALLED RELIGIOUS PARTIES WHO HAVE NO INTEREST IN ISLAM AND EVEN DONT KNOW THE TEACHINGS OF REAL ISLAM. BUT ONE THING IS CLEAR, NOW WE HAVE A CANDLE OF HOPE IN THE SHAPE OF MALALA. I REQUEST TO THE GOVERNMENT OF PAKISTAN TO OBSERVE JISHN E MALALA DAY ON HER RECOVERY. WE WILL ALL AS NATION OBSERVE THIS DAY OF NATIONAL HAPPINESS. SHE WILL TAKE US TO THE SUCCESS WHICH IS VERY NEAR AS THE MINDS ARE CHANGING NOW AND PEOPLE SENSED THAT THEY HAVE BEEN DECEIVED ALWAYS ON THE NAME OF RELIGION.
Mahesh
Oct 14, 2012 02:18pm
I just feel sorry for the state of affairs in PAK,i just feel the politicians and the people alike take a strong decision to root the extremists out of the society and give every person right to live a peaceful life.
Bystander
Oct 13, 2012 12:49pm
What happened to Malala is despicable. Though, how does it make someone not visit a country where 180 million sympathize have with her? beats me! Shamila and her father wouldn
Yawar
Oct 13, 2012 12:42pm
We think and act as though we know what is right and what is not. And there lies the problem. Because what is "truth" for one group is totally opposite to what is "truth" for another. And each group's position is "my way or the highway."
Greg Allen
Oct 14, 2012 02:50pm
As an American, it makes me proud that a Muslim Pakisan immigrant girl has the opportunity to get a masters degree in economics and have a successful life. I'm not saying that America is better than other countries but I am staying that it still is a place of hope for a lot of people.
NASAH (USA)
Oct 13, 2012 12:46pm
One of your most moving pieces, Anwer Iqbal. Rashid Khan is a true Pakistani -- not Ehsanullah Ahsan.
ramshankerdubey
Oct 14, 2012 10:09am
It is a serious blame whether there is no proper respect and place for women in Pakistani air. Attack on Malala has a bit proved this. Pakistani authorities should try to break this image at all. it will bring a new dawn in Pakistan
amir khan
Oct 13, 2012 12:42pm
Yes Cyrus, why dont you enlighten us with your infinite knowledge ?
Karachi Wala
Oct 13, 2012 11:46am
@ Nazar Sandhu and Uzair Khan, I think you both missed the point here. Please read again and try to read between the lines. Hopefully, the story will make sense to both of you.
Hasan
Oct 13, 2012 11:44am
Quite honestly, this Rashid Ahmed seems to be quite an obnoxious character. I'd like to see him throw plates on the ground in the US......he'd be thrown out of the restraunt for sure. Funny how people like that revert back to their normal personas when they go back home to visit Pakistan and then revert back to the good citizens when back in the US. Shameful
Khan
Oct 13, 2012 11:28am
Oh, Please stop this nonsense. If you or your daughter really wanted to do something for Pakistan, nothing could stop you. Have a faith and Twakal on Allah. I live in the US, I am about to leave for Pakistan with family regardless what future will bring. Please stop defaming Pakistan by saying that women have no respect in Pakistan. I can tell you, my parents never went to school but they always cared and respected each other. My father was a strong man [May Allah Grant him Jannat]. I was born on KPK province and lived there till I was 20 without electricity and roads. I have seen people how they love each other, they are willing to die for their women. Matter of fact, last week i was selling my car and a Hispanic couple showed up, the woman asked me why are you selling this car? I said I dont need it because we have two cars. She asked me how your wife will go to work? I replied, she does not work, and I pay for everything housing, food, health, travelling and tons of shopping. And you know what she said "she is so lucky, please find me a Pakistani Husband".
Manjee
Oct 13, 2012 11:27am
I think you missed the point entirely. Going by herself is not the same as having a father/mother showing her the place where they were born, etc
Nisha Rai
Oct 13, 2012 11:16am
You and your family should enjoy the lovely life in America. No need to visit Pakistan. I am sure those living their daily life in Pakistan will not be bothered by your absence.
Sue Sturgess
Oct 15, 2012 05:55am
Whether or not a country has had a female political leader is but one small aspect of "respect for women". Perhaps a better indicator would be to ask how many American women want to relocate to Pakistan, compared with how many Pakistani women wish to relocate to America.
durrani
Oct 13, 2012 10:59am
i always get confused when i want to write about these things.but people get too scare to read the headlines.Being a Pakistani/American,i have lived more than 20 years in the U.S.it may be inconvenient but it is certainly possible to come and visit here.just a week a go i had a cousin living in England came with his new bride and her mother ,spend about a week in KPK.Rashid is abosolutely wrong by saying that people here are not respecting women.remember Benazir Bhutto,was an elected prime minister.we are still waiting to see an elected female president in United States. the real problem is the morethan i 30 years mess that was left for these poor countries to cope after the soviet invasion.i remember Gul badin hikmat yar was considered the biggest mujahid or warrior by the west.these guys were trained and equiped by the west to fight.they were not learning stuff in a vocational school.millions afghans died during war.has any anyone pass a resolution to ask Russian for the suffering and damages they caused.war is ugly.the two super power clashed in afghanistan.now the mess needed to be clean up .at the same time the people got more extremis tin these countries.people cames from all over the world to Pakistan.they brought their extremist ideology,now there are thousands of madrassa,even for girls.this will take time,money,education and help from the west to help,educate. i will suggest that the west start accepting talented students from these villages they greately sympathize.how about openining a few unversities,school,colleges here in more safer area in Pakistan to these kids to study because their school been destroyed.how about taking practical steps to counter insurgency.Pakistan do not a bad rap.Pakistan need a helping hand from the west and all other countries.
Omar
Oct 13, 2012 10:57am
A very thought provoking narrative of the paradox Pakistani society is facing today. We are at the cross roads of choosing our future in politics and religious convictions are embedded in our affairs. The choice is to follow the likes of Shah sahib or the life of self righteous Taliban and the like whose only weapon of terror and submission is their own interpretation of religion. The paradoxical nature of Pakistani society allows you to choose the best and worst examples if Pakistani. We have Abdus Satar Edhi on hand and TTP's Ehsanullah Ehsan both bearded. We have Shaukat Khanum Cancer hospital which is unique in the world for its service to humanity compared to many rip off hospitals within its 5 mile radius. Our judiciary and media have struggled hard for justice and proved that this country still has the potential to unite in the right cause and for the right reason. The question of why Pakistanis cannot do anything to make it right. The answer lies in leadership. There is no one to lead, unitethe people for the right cause and create a synergy which makes socio-economic justice the order of the day. Our Messiah has yet to come. We await them in the form of uniform clad martial law faces or the stooges who return with "democracy" after a dark decade. Nothing changes as we cannot bear through a single process of change. None of these extremes deliver the synergy and demonstrate the greed and self interest of the Pakistani elite. The heavens will take their own time to transcend us the leader log awaited. We must endeavour to find them between us. Sooner the better......
Irfan
Oct 15, 2012 06:10am
Its true that women are not respected not only Pakistan but as a whole Islamic Countries/Society.
Nazar Sandhu
Oct 13, 2012 10:47am
The girl is an adult, an American. Does she need her father's permission to go to pakistan?
Uzair Khan
Oct 13, 2012 10:24am
as much as I loved the story, it's kinda sad to know that he judged a whole nation based on the actions of a few. i have met foreigners who have told me how amazing there time in Pakistan was, for some the best. i have heard them speak of people they know who were taken aback by the hospitality that our people offer to others. he could have taken her back and who knows, it might have triggered another similar story in motion, maybe inspire another girl to get educated and be like her daughter or inspired another father but he instead summed Pakistan, a country of 180 plus million, up as a few fundamentalist mullahs and talibs and let it slip. sad times for a nation indeed. hopefully, his daughter will some day discover on her own.
Irfan
Oct 15, 2012 06:15am
It does not matter who created Taliban. We know they are muslim, how come they follow their instructions.
Sumit
Oct 15, 2012 06:18am
What the heck R U talking 'bout?! People are killing teenage girls in the US to prevent them from studying! I live in the US and to my knowledge nobody gets killed by right wing zealots for wanting to get an education!
Sumit
Oct 15, 2012 06:21am
It's not the few that he's worried about! It's the rest of them who don't stop this hatred that he's talking about!
ahmadwaleed14
Oct 13, 2012 10:14am
This is the dilemma. Some 'powers' don't let it change. And they don't listen to saner voices.
Haroon
Oct 13, 2012 10:11am
It all depends on how you see a situation. If a person has a firm belief, it does should not make him afraid of what others think of him/her and must not shatter his/her beliefs. I have no problem with America and Europe. I have had an opportunity of getting a scholarship for higher education abroad but now I am back in Pakistan. We can not blame others for our down fall and need to accept our own faults and weaknesses. When we condemn the so called Talibans and other vested groups for their sinister motives, we must not keep silent as to brutalities of U.S drone attacks in the tribal areas of Pakistan killing and torturing thousands of children like Malala and many others. I like the story of Khan Sahib and do appreciate the system of Western Societies that have rule of law and justice but how can we turn our back on injustices done through their policies abroad?
Manjee
Oct 15, 2012 06:26am
Amna, I hear you. But your experience is not uncommon. My aunt Dr Parvathi, immigrated over 35 yrs ago from India to the US, and has worked in a hospital in Brooklyn. There, the top guy - a white guy - openly said he would not give women any high positions in the administration. So wherever we are, we women have to fight for our rights.
Cyrus Howell
Oct 13, 2012 10:06am
Do you really want that answer?
m h kayani
Oct 14, 2012 07:23am
I feel sorry for the girls, however I don't believe Pakistani media's story either. she was shot by someone but not for the reason given, NY times has very different story of the family.
Ajamal
Oct 14, 2012 07:19am
Why be so narrow focused on Malala only? What about hundreds of children torn to pieces from high up in the air? Just because their pictures are not splashed across tv screens!!
Mystic
Oct 14, 2012 09:03am
Amazing how people sitting in US are 'promoting' girl education in Pakistan through their pen. Bravo.
Ameer
Oct 14, 2012 09:06am
We have women maids all over the place. Mine has been working for me for years without incident. You have the right to your own opinions but not to your own facts.
Aziz
Oct 14, 2012 09:07am
Mo, Please stay where you are and be loyal to your new country. Pakistan has enough Pakistanis to put the country on the right track despite constant interference from both internal and external sources. Pakistan's own follies notwithstanding since inception. I know hundreds of Pakistanis who would like to come back and contribute through their experience, goodwill and above all resources which they did not have before. I have lived abroad for over 40 years and go there regularly. I intend to die there.
Ameer
Oct 14, 2012 09:08am
Tahir please stop your one-sided justice. He is only saying that you should look at everything. Not just what uncle-sam wants you to see.
Aziz
Oct 14, 2012 09:10am
Brother Abdul, The fact that you stood up against an injustice is reward enough. Please do not feel neglected. People like you have ensured that millions of Pakistanis managed to get rid of not only Zia but also another dictator after him. You were the inspiration. This is your living reward. I salute you brother for standing up against an injustice.
Aziz
Oct 14, 2012 09:14am
Brother Ahmed, Pakistan will not implode. There are 190 million of us who will put it right. Brick by brick. Layer by layer. It takes time to set right something that has taken sixty years to destroy. I live overseas too. But I will go back to ensure my bones are buried in the country of my birth and I have paid back to it what the country gave me without asking.
Shabut
Oct 14, 2012 08:07am
Rather than complaining and creating stories from the luxury of American livings this man should go back to his village along with her daughter and try to do something positive to bring a change. To link this ordinary story with Mallala's incident is just too much. I also must say that the man does not want to go back to his village out of his love for the village or the country but to settle some personal grudges as he did in the hotel by shattering a plate on the floor.
Ameer
Oct 14, 2012 08:59am
you mean the kind of respect that Mr. Khan shows to everyone else? Or some other kind of respect?
Aziz
Oct 14, 2012 08:59am
@ kayani It would help if you gave further reference for others to educate themselves about the full truth behind this episode. You have to read lots of papers from different countries to scrape even the surface of the truth. Media these days everywhere is in the business of 'moulding' opinion rather than 'informing'.
akhtar
Oct 14, 2012 08:40am
Rashid's action at the hotel proved that rich Pakistanis including ex-pats are egomaniac. He became rich in the US, but nothing else how to treat poor.
Nisha Rai
Oct 14, 2012 05:58pm
Yes, as they say, "Only in America..." No matter what the rest of the world says, America is a beacon of hope for anyone on this earth. You can't say that for any other country!
T
Oct 14, 2012 06:05pm
I hate to say it, but this man has to grow up. First of all he had no business throwing a plate in a restaurant that in all probability was under a different management when he "was thrown out". Secondly, he humiliated the other waiters and lowly paid staff at the hotel. It's good that he chose not to visit Pakistan. Pakistan can do without his inflated ego!
atariq
Oct 14, 2012 08:32am
yes women, girls, are not respected in Pakistan, but it does not take take a horror story like Malala's to know that. this disrespect has been there in plain view in our society from the time Pakistan was created and we have no one else to blame but our own warped insecurities and that goes for both men and women who are the mothers and sisters of these men who perpetuate this injustice.
Jason
Oct 14, 2012 08:31am
Absolutely. ..
Shabut
Oct 14, 2012 08:10am
Is the man somehow suggesting that his daughter does not know anything about what is going on Pakistan? She is an educated adult and she must have already formed her opinion about Pakistan so it does not make any difference whether you go there or stay back.
Mark
Oct 14, 2012 02:56pm
Anyone who enters this country by illegally overstaying their tourist visa should be deported along with their families. That is the only way we are going to get the message across......that breaking the law has consequences, not rewards, as in this case.
Mustafa Moiz
Oct 14, 2012 07:49am
So if a boy had been shot it would have been alright?
Jonathan
Oct 14, 2012 03:15pm
Great story. A little sad, but understandable. Is it possible for educated Pakistani's to go back to Pakistan and effect it for lasting good? Or would they be throwing their lives away?
Amna
Oct 14, 2012 03:15pm
I am a doctor working in government hospital. I believe may be our society has grown and matured in a lot ways but somewhere down the line, even many of us 'literate' people, have failed to learn or deny to accept education as a necessity for women. I experience biased attitude every now and then. In a place where every one is more or less equally educated, there are many who just don't want to see women working parallel to them. There also exist a sect who thinks all women need is a basic 'madrassa' education which is sufficient for them to run there families and bring up children, any other sort of education is unnecessary and working in the so-called men's world is a definite No-No! I do not mean to say that ALL of us are like that. There are many who are highly encouraging and supportive of women education and their career making, but the society has still to learn to be broad minded and matured. I agree with the author's perspective.
Shabut
Oct 14, 2012 08:00am
The fact that the man wants to return to his village and thump his chest by showing how educated his daughter is nothing but arrogance and self satisfaction. I'm sure "Shah Saheb" would have not given him that education.
HumanWithCrown
Oct 14, 2012 04:49pm
Every person is human first. That much should be obvious to everyone. Being Muslim is the crown on top.
AM
Oct 14, 2012 06:57am
Those who injured Malala are not representing religen even they claim , beleive me majority of real religen people have glowing face & soul. their face & action emit light . Do not get disappointed , Islam is true religen & Pakistan will be one day haven when society will adopt real values of Islam, not the painted in talban shape.
Usman
Oct 14, 2012 06:54am
She wasn't exactly a beacon of tolerance and humanity, more like a mascot. Mukhtar Mai, she is a true icon, and also Malala.