Is Afridi really to blame?

Updated Mar 14, 2014 03:02pm

I am quite bamboozled by the onslaught Shahid Afridi has received of late. Don’t get me wrong. As a proud activist for gender equality, I felt disgust at his comments, which came to light through a recorded interview. Women are the future and to say anything remotely suggesting that they belong in the kitchen is quite plainly loath-worthy.

I think views like Lala’s are out-of-date, destructive, and will ultimately inhibit the growth and development of Pakistan. But, such are his views, and to expect them to be different just because he happens to be a national hero would be illogical.

Life would be perfect if fame and power aligned with progressive values, though that seems wishful thinking for a country like Pakistan.

Our education system, political apparatus, laws and regulations, and even public discourse reflect that of an extremely conservative, regressive society. They reflect a society steeped in misogyny. To expect heroes, who are products of such a setup, to reflect anything liberal or progressive is naive.

The criticism Lala has faced goes somewhat like this. Yes, we pay Lala to hit sixes and bowl over 130km/hr with a spin bowling action. However, he is a national icon. He is a hero. His views matter, like the sound of his mistimed six against India, his words also echo on every street in Pakistan. This is massive power and to go on to use the cliché, it comes with great responsibility.

Lala should make sure he uses his influence to guide his followers and nurture them to help themselves and those around them. Saying that women should stay in kitchens is quite the opposite. Therefore, I will not support Lala anymore.

Also read: Why I won't be cheering for Shahid Afridi anymore

Lala is conservative. He is clearly quite patriarchal to say the least. In his mind, these values are not only right, but ultimately beneficial for society. He has been taught these from day one through various cultural norms and religious interpretations. When he became famous, he thought he should say what he thinks is right, which he quite frankly, did.

Keeping that context in mind, is he really at fault?

Did he really evade the great responsibility that comes with power?

No, he did not. As far as he is concerned, he was perfectly responsible.

But it made us so angry!

As much as it made me angry, I am happier to know that it made so many Pakistanis angry. But directing this anger at Lala is not the way forward. If Lala was a liberal, who lived life in accordance with progressive values, I would be on the boat with you criticising him; I would label him not only irresponsible but also hypocritical.

But what do I do when he genuinely is conservative, coming from a society that has barely moved towards equal rights for women?

For starters, I can make sure that I draw inspiration only from his cricketing, that too, with extreme caution. I would certainly not look for any inspiration from his views on gender roles.

Secondly, I would look into what makes Lala consider something so blatantly destructive as right.

Lala is a nice guy, remember. This is the same person who brought many of us to tears when he said sorry to the people of Pakistan for losing the World Cup semi-final.

So, what makes that guy think a woman should stay in the kitchen?

You don’t have to look further than reports running the same newspaper that criticised Lala. As we all jumped on the condemn Lala wagon, the Council of Islamic Ideology of Pakistan passed two very misogynistic declarations.

It asked Pakistani law to allow child marriage and for husbands to be allowed to marry a second, third, or even fourth time without their wife’s consent.

Moreover, as you are reading this, Pakistan’s elected government is negotiating a political settlement with people who intend to not only keep women as personal chefs in the kitchen, but also give them no more rights than mere chattel.

Our mainstream politicians apologise for these barbaric individuals even as the blood of their thousands of victims soaks the country’s soil.

Also read CII: Pushing Pakistan back to the caves

Pakistan is ranked second to last in the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report for 2013, which ranks countries by opportunities offered to female versus male populations.

Let’s face it, we are a misogynistic community. Our heroes, by and large, are products of this community and will be blessed and cursed with its strengths and limitations respectively. One example of these limitations is an archaic and destructive view on gender roles.

Yes, what Shahid Afridi said was inexcusable. He could not be more wrong. I personally hold the view that if there is any single cure for poverty, if there is any true path to development, if there is any sure way towards peace, it is the empowerment of girls and women. You can imagine how angry I felt after hearing what he had to say. But I also understand that directing this anger at him would be a futile exercise.

We can’t get mad at Lala for being true to the only way of life he knows. We need to instead channel our anger towards changing that way of life, the way of life that gives rise to, and shelters views like his.

We need to use our schools, politics, laws and regulations, and media outlets to do this effectively. We need to disallow extremist ideologies from capturing these spaces and replace them with more liberal and progressive perspectives.

This process begins by directing our anger at the right place. At the social norms that give rise to misogyny, and the institutions where they spread - your work place, your school, your home.

Only then, can we even think of changing the mindsets of the masses. And one day, a hero shall spring from the said masses and SHE will have the liberal values many of us thirst for today in Pakistan.

The writer is a proud supporter of gender equality. He tweets @uujavaid

Waqar Qureshi
Mar 14, 2014 03:10pm

Dear Author I do not fully agree with you but I want to congratulate for ensuring one simple common sense thing: "Target the crime, criminals will automatically vanish". Even though you failed to apply it wholly still well done. Keep it up. Awesome article on the whole.

Waqas
Mar 14, 2014 03:16pm

well written. However, we need to be clear in our identity on who we are. Being Muslim, no matter which sect we belong, let us try to remain within the ambit of laws and teachings of Islam, which can never be outdated, or can they be? If we think those are outdated, then we must question our identity again and make our choices.

I standby the comments made by Afridi no matter how we try to sugarcoat them.

Esther
Mar 14, 2014 03:19pm

A very well written piece that points out exactly what the challenges are that Pakistan and many other patriarchal countries face. Let's all work hard for gender equality, which will not only benefit girls and women but their communities and thus their countries and ultimately the world as well.

Umar Aftab
Mar 14, 2014 03:27pm

Support for gender equality by critiquing those who hold other views is the best way to alienate yourself in a society like Pakistan. It doesn't alienate those who hold a different view because they are the majority.

Using western terminology like "gender equality" don't help this cause. Men and women are different and Allah has prescribed the roles of both women and men, we as Muslims must look at this from a clear religious stand point. Islam encourages education for all regardless of sex. No one can argue against this.

The prophet's (PBUH) wife was a successful entrepreneur. So how can we think Islam discourages women to work or become business women. Islam also mandates a share for women, as daughters, wives or sisters in property ...which is being denied in our society.

To promote development of women we should not be fighting for gender equality but for the rights that are clearly mandated and are not being afforded to women. The right to education, the right to share in property, rights from husbands and right to a violence free life.

Ali Haider Chattha
Mar 14, 2014 03:31pm

Afridi's words were "Pakistani women have a great taste in thier hands" while he smiled in a light manner on a question that was asked in a strage way about GIRLS CRICKET in peshawar. He said nothing more that. But sadly some people just realized it after 7 months and molded the story as much as they could to spread hateread against Afridi. Afridi didnt say that women should not progress in life nor did he say that they should remain in kitchen. He just tried to avoid the question. Its so shameful that we have no tolerance and we love to mold up stories as we wish, its just a shameful behavior of our society that we love to malign our heroes infront of the world. Everyone is entitled to his views and opinion and Afridi no doubdt is a patriot and philanthropist if not his views we should atleast respect him.

Sami Ullah Swati
Mar 14, 2014 03:32pm

First, reading this article at least helped me overcome my un-easiness about an article published 2 days before in Dawn regarding Lala and his gender bias. I urge that writer to read this article and then formulate her real rebuttal to the issues of gender bias and equality in Pakistan than pin-pointing national heroes.

Second, in Pakistan we always talk about progressive minds and approaches when it comes to gender balance and I am wondering if we can be more analytic than subjective by using vague words. Does it mean-western style? To most of the readers in urban Pakistan, probably yes.

Hussain
Mar 14, 2014 03:42pm

Rather than putting Shahid Afridi in the line of fire, we should remember that this is democracy. He is as much entitled to his views as anyone else is. His views aren't incorrect, nor are they correct. Those were simply his views. This freedom of thought is the beauty of democracy, personal opinions don't matter, only the ballot-box does!

Alnoor Khimani
Mar 14, 2014 03:44pm

In general its our social issue and Afridi is just one out of us. His thought process reflects common man mentality (not common woman for sure :) however being a public figure he has to watch his mouth. He looks as careless with his tongue as with his bat. Being a democrat I do believe in free speech however you are free till your hand doesn't touch somebody else's nose. Even in modern western societies, there are stringent laws around bullying, discrimination and sexism. You have freedom of speech however they won't give you license to disappoint mass of people passing discriminatory remarks. In this case it was gender discrimination. I think here in Australia if Michael Clarke would have pass such remark, he wouldn't play his next match. Being a Muslim why do we forget that first wife of our beloved prophet (P.B.U.H) was a business woman and there are many other examples. My advise to Afridi is, you have all the right to believe that world is flat and we respect your worldview however please don't try to impose your views on us.

Hanu
Mar 14, 2014 03:47pm

Gender equality?.........Hahahahah.......

Razi
Mar 14, 2014 04:01pm

He is an excellent sportsman, but he is normal human as all others. He has all the right in the world to express his opinions and how he feels he should spent his life with his family. Whatever suits him, suits us!.....its time to stop judging other individuals and focus on our own deeds. There may be so much wrong that one may be doing in his/her life that needs to be corrected, not by anyone else, but by ownslef.

Frankenstine
Mar 14, 2014 04:07pm

so where goes freedom of speech... ok i got it when u like the narrative its freedom of speech else whatever u say... its his personal opinion and I respect his opinion... I watched the interview.. The interviewee asked for his opinion and he just give his sincere answer he did not try to be hypocrite and thats why I respect his opinion...Everyone has the right to agree or disagree with others.

Ali
Mar 14, 2014 04:11pm

@Waqas: The reason why the Pakistan in particular and the Muslim world in general is currently sitting at the bottom end of nearly all relevant measures of progress including the economy, justice, tolerance/peaceful co-existance, education, law abidance, and human rights is because people wrongly believe that the culture that we follow is Islam. From that it is a straight and short line to the conclusion that since Islam can't be wrong, our practices are right and there is no need for change. However, the practice of Islam has become so distorted that many ideas which would be considered abhorent under a true understanding of Islam, have sadly come to be seen as Islamic values. One only needs to see the recent proposals by the Council of Islamic Idealogy to know that these people who are closer to animals than humans in terms of intellectual development have been granted the authority to represent Islamic thought in Pakistan in an official capacity. So please do some study to understand what Islam truly stands for.

Hammad Haider
Mar 14, 2014 04:12pm

Whats the mess about? Everyone has his own views. If you think that working in the kitchen, raising up a family, and making a home a place worth living is in any form a disgraceful job for a woman than I think you guys really need to re-think. Afridi never said that Women cannot go out of their homes and cannot work, he just prefers a woman taking care of her home rather than working outside. He never said he would not let her wife go out, since her wife travels with her around the world and I can clearly see the influence of her in the upbringing of her daughters.

redrock
Mar 14, 2014 04:27pm

The previous article as well as this one has taken Afridi's comment to a whole new level. All he did was compliment a women's cooking skills that's it. He never said they belong in a kitchen!!! He just did not want to answer the question regarding the women's cricket team. You want your daughters playing cricket, go ahead and send them!! No one has stopped you and neither did he say that they should not play. if you want to live in a western society/culture, by all means you can go to the west and live at ease.

Wajahat Hussain
Mar 14, 2014 04:28pm

Usman sahib

We are more protective of our women(mother,sisters,wife and daughters) folk. They should go out under protection mostly. If I can provide for them adequately I won't ask them to go out. I won't mind if they get education but working in our environment would be hazardous to say the least!

I can understand what you have written because its a personal thing to every man and like wise a number of men like myself are entitled to our thinking/thoughts. we are not stopping any lady not to go out and they can do anything they fancy. But my daughter and my wife are my responsibility and if I dislike their going out I would help provide them protection while they pursue anything out of home.

Its my prerogative no one should criticize!

Ali
Mar 14, 2014 04:32pm

I am a huge fan of Shahid Afridi, the cricketer. I admire his passion for representing Pakistan and the intensity with which he fights for the team. However, his views on women are outdated, offensive, and completely wrong. At the same time they are not entirely surprising. A significant proportion of the Pakistani population would probably endorse these views without realising that this kind of medieval thinking is the reason why Pakistan is trapped in a worsening cycle of poverty, violence, intolerance, lawlessness. We rightfully hope that leading figures from Pakistani society would prove to be good role models for the rest of the country. However, gone are the days when our cricketers were highly educated having attended top education instutions at home or abroad which meant they had capability to contribute intellectually on social discourse. From our poorly educated cricketers of today, we mustn't expect any capabilities off the cricket pitch. Shahid Afridi is a passionate sportsman, great bowler, very capable fielder and once in a rare while he is also a very entertaining match winning batsman. However, as a social commentator, he is as capable of being a role model as the Council of Islamic Idealogy is capable of addressing the core issues that plague the plight of Pakistani muslims.

farraz
Mar 14, 2014 04:36pm

Usman, Article very well written. i am taking Afridi comments as biased because some male cooks also make very well food. he is praising Women in our society whom are the best queens who can run our house. i don't want to give my child in the hand of servants the whole day while me and my wife doing job whole day. Do You?

Multan wala
Mar 14, 2014 04:38pm

This Afridi is the face of gender based bias. Yes, the issue need to be tackled. But he expounds it. Think of young kids who idolize him, who hear his views.

Adeel
Mar 14, 2014 04:39pm

I have witnessed change in many pakistani families that had conservative views with regards to their daughters, but then I live in Norway, a country with total gender equality. Also in Pakistan things are slowly changing with time. I am sure lala will change his views when his daughters grow older.

Ravi Dallas TX
Mar 14, 2014 04:44pm

I urge posters here to first watch the video. You should look at the tone and how outright he says women should stick to kitchen. Totally wrong and intimidating to women.

I urge hardcore Afridi fans not to comment here because you will blindly support him with some lame excuses adding insult to the injury.

I totally agree with the Author that you should look at the root cause than just the symptom.

Yasser
Mar 14, 2014 05:01pm

Aha. Now a Lala apologist. Had to be a male.

Karachi Wala
Mar 14, 2014 05:12pm

You have tried to lump one too many issues together, which is in itself quite a challenging task. Nevertheless, you have penned a good effort.

Zahid Malik
Mar 14, 2014 05:42pm

Afirdi has always reflected in his personality that he is an uneducated peronality. I can only rock the world by wildy moving the bat in cricket ground. So cheer up my friends , accept it he is not a worthy hero. And belive me he will not be even ashmed of message he conveyed to the nation. He blantly asked the reporter to stop asking those questions. Our sisters , daughter and mothers have been successful in all fields, we should encourage them. Islam never stop women to be successful under islamic social norms. So Afridi beat it...or you will be hit for a wild six

Sarah
Mar 14, 2014 05:42pm

Contractors of 'civilizing mission'...

Asad
Mar 14, 2014 05:50pm

I wonder someday gender equality seekers will demand girls to be named as boys. The fact is that there is a difference and that is the system on nature. Yes no one is superior overall but female have superiority in some fields and men have in some other. Ask Afridi again I am sure he will say women must have some physical activity but in their own privacy and in front of other women only.

Faruq
Mar 14, 2014 05:57pm

I'm struggling to think what type of opinion people were expecting from a man from the tribal areas. Did people expect him to go on a rant about gender equality? I don't think it's fair to blame him for views that, from where he comes from, are considered perfectly in line with local values. While those values may not be correct, to chastise him so severely in particular just seems unnecessary. Thanks for a good article, Usman!

Gengez Khan
Mar 14, 2014 06:07pm

Lala (older brother) is just a cricket hero. To expect anything more out of him is neive thinking. We all know that our cricketers have very little education (except one or two). it is the education that will set Pakistan free.

jar
Mar 14, 2014 06:10pm

Afridi's comments are commendable, especially the way he handled the question. He has his right of opinion, and should be respected. After all we want to move towards moderation, that means freedom of speech for everyone,and not just for one particular voice.

Imran
Mar 14, 2014 06:16pm

@Waqas: Mr. Waqas, Times have changed.We have to liberate ourselves and the ideas that have not evolved for the betterment of gender equality. On one hand we can look at history and see how much women had contributed and we praise them but on the other hand we want to keep women confined and surrogate them to male dominance. I think Islam can very easily be a beacon and a shining light on the hill if we can stay within the realm of deen and also modernize and innovate ideas and examples for the betterment of not only Muslims but for the entire mankind. These are testing times ans we need more and more women to become leaders, educators and epitome of success. This is the way Islam will be recognized and respected. Not the convoluted notion of force and extremism and most of all with no education.

Rana Haseeb
Mar 14, 2014 06:22pm

The first positive step towards eradicating gender-discrimination would be to combat feudal mindset prevailing in Pakistan's society.

anwar khushab
Mar 14, 2014 06:25pm

Why are we mixing up two very different things? Afridi's talent lies in hitting a ball with a stick. He is wonderful at that, and deserves our admiration. His views on gender are stupid, and he deserves our censure for that. Many readers here seem to be arguing that if he can hit a ball with a stick, we should accept his views on everything else, be it climate change, relations with India, or the status of women, or whatever. Afridi is human, and therefore is as fallible as you or me.

ali hemani
Mar 14, 2014 06:26pm

Very well written.

By the way do we know, did Lala meant what he said or was it said in a lighter mode (joke). The way we joke about pathan / sikh and other jokes that we crack every day...... Think about it...

Slave of Allah
Mar 14, 2014 06:37pm

I won't say everyone but most of the people in Pakistan have become insanely confused. I might be wrong but I do get a feeling that the articles and writers/bloggers in the media are very biased and are influenced greatly by Western/American countries. We need to get out of our inferiority complex and realize that we have a identity. I am all for gender equality but there are some things that are gender specific ONLY. Bringing women to everything and men to everything doesn't justify equality but it do justify mockery and we are making fool of ourselves. Read Germaine Greer's book on women rights then only would you realize why a Women right activist was forced to change her views by her own findings. And Islam would never be outdated, it is and would be the most accommodating religion till the end. But people find small excuses to fulfill there desires. Enough Said.

Tansar
Mar 14, 2014 06:49pm

What is wrong with you people? Its his personal view and leave it to him. Having rights to write in newpapers does not mean that you start imposing your thoughts on everyone. Tomorrow you will say that Shahid Afridi has blue color car and "I" don't like blue colour car. So, lets write about it? Come on. Write about something which IS actually an issue.

Azeem Haider
Mar 14, 2014 07:04pm

His endorsement deals should be cancelled just like its done in the west when a public figure says anything against african americans or anyone's sexual orientation. Regardless of what he feels but if his views and expression of those views offends people, backlash is justified and an example needs to be made by cancelling his endorsement deals etc.

Amin
Mar 14, 2014 07:10pm

All this wrangle is about Pakistani women not proposed to play games in public instead she is preferred to stay in their homes while “Gender Equality” is nowhere about being exposed in public. In fact, we are the product of inferiority complex, inspired by western style of life to such an extent that our centuries old tradition and religious dogmas had been rendered worthless and odd. Why we should copy the west life style when they are going to spoil the virtues of women. Instead we are competent enough to choose our own way of life. Why is there so much uneasiness when majority of Pakistani women enjoys a good family life. Is all this propagation and fight for gender equality would end up in same sex marriages, as going on in West.

Addy
Mar 14, 2014 07:15pm

Reading the comments below it appears there's serious confusion as to this idea of 'freedom of expression'. Yes, it is an unalienable right in civilized cultures (not in Pakistan by any stretch). However, having the right to express your opinion does not automatically buy you respect and validation for the same. That, my friends, has to be earned. Say something stupid and be prepared to be taken to the cleaners. That's how it works.

Shahid Khan
Mar 14, 2014 07:34pm

Excellent logic!!! Keep it up! We need an army like u to make Pakistan a progressive, educated, and peaceful place!

Junaid
Mar 14, 2014 07:39pm

@Umar Aftab: All these mentions you made look fine on paper but in reality ( practically) we are far from those rules. Our society , led my men, has been a victim of dual personality. A man out side of his house will look like the sweetest person in the world , but in his house he is a terror.

Junaid
Mar 14, 2014 07:46pm

@Alnoor Khimani: I don't agree with your comment about Afridi. In the right context, Afridi only mentioned his preference but never said woment should not play cricket. A parable is, that I think Afridi is better with ball than the bat. Secondly, you can not judge people with one statement.

Fan
Mar 14, 2014 07:59pm

Here comes Afridi Media Brigade trying to defend Afridi and justifying what he said. Mr. Me should keep his mouth shut when he does not know what he is talking about.

Taimoor Khan
Mar 14, 2014 08:58pm

Mindless following of western culture and projection of it within our society is the cancer that must be rooted out. not what LALA is saying.

Esther
Mar 14, 2014 09:10pm

@Asad: Ofcourse there is a difference between male and female, Gender equality does not mean that they are the same. It just means that they are both Humans first and therefore are entitled to be treated the same way, As in having the same opportunities, to make their own choices, decide about who they want to marry , get education etc etc. I like to think that if men who oppose gender equality would think with their heart and place temselves in the shoes of girls/women they might feel very different about this issue. :) And no doubt that every single person, male or female, is entitled to their own opinion and to voice it aswell.

Sana
Mar 14, 2014 10:26pm

I belong to a liberal family and in my view point every individual has right to set his own priorities for his home and family as long as they fully satisfies his family members. Gender equality is now a days a good topic of discussion especially in the country like ours but we should learn or at least try to learn from the nations that are far ahead of us like America. I am giving example of the country not only because it is the super power but also because I recently visited it and found something's that are really astonishing. They have seen the extreme of liberalism and now they are turning back to what we call conservative approach. They are supporting mums to be housewives and support their families in terms of taking care of their children at home. This change is because they are experiencing the threat of social problems related to child care. In my view financial matters should be taken care by man and household matters by female.

Akhtar Aziz
Mar 14, 2014 10:32pm

This is what happens when you give a forum to what Shoaib Akhtar called "jahil". Just because you play cricket which you definitely are good at,doesn't make you a social commentator. Our players are mostly unable to form an intelligent sentence without putting their foot in their mouths. They should just stick to what they know best .In a country like ours where we need people to see what women are capable of doing, we turn the clock back to darker ages . Please restrict idiots like him to only comment on games period.

Ali Khan
Mar 15, 2014 12:34am

I wonder if the writer has watched women cricket match herself! Stop targeting Afridi,start helping the drought affecties!

PK
Mar 15, 2014 12:40am

As long as we have people like you wirting, we dont need indians to defeat us in cricket ground.

shafi
Mar 15, 2014 12:53am

Afridi an excellnt player.Please remain that way and we will love you more,whether you win or loose a match.But please keep away from sermons.Dear writer I think Mr Afridi is well travelled, well exposed to the world to have an understanding of issues.What more education do we want to impart to a player of international standing.

Waqas
Mar 15, 2014 12:54am

@Ali: Ali bhai, so you suggest we should review the teachings of Quran and Sunnah which you think needs an update in context of current times?

Ahmed
Mar 15, 2014 12:56am

Will tommarrow you will wright about gays and lesbien, what he said this is his opinion you dont need to be so fussy about that. You want more Veena and Mira in Pakistan?

John
Mar 15, 2014 01:02am

Why is he called Lala? A very Hindu sounding term.

muneeb
Mar 15, 2014 01:05am

Lala has said what our allha ,quran?ans our prophet has ordered to us and I don't think worth gud for newspaper to post such articles who are influenced by westernisation

Zaheer
Mar 15, 2014 04:34am

As stated by you,the author- "I think views like Lala’s are out-of-date, destructive, and will ultimately inhibit the growth and development of Pakistan. But, such are his views, and to expect them to be different just because he happens to be a national hero would be illogical" Precisely for the reason that he is a national hero, who is revered by millions and commands attention to what he does and says- demands that he be careful with both his professional and personal conduct. You see, with fame comes responsibility and the two go hand in hand, and as such expecting responsible and progressive behavior from our national heroes is perfectly logical. You cannot give him a pass, just because that is how he was brought up, or his ideas are reflective of his social environment. However reading your progressive blog and the equally progressive comments by the people brought up in the same country and social environment is cause for optimism-nevertheless a lot more needs to be done to achieve gender equality.

Ravi Dallas TX
Mar 15, 2014 05:11am

@john: Lala in his native language means "elder brother" like Anna in South India. I read this elsewhere hope it is correct.

Ahmed
Mar 15, 2014 07:55am

Shahid Afridi in no way qualifies to be an intellectual. His views on women are typical of a Pakhtoon construction worker or a cobbler. Just ignore him and move on.

Parag Shripad
Mar 15, 2014 08:34am

so to conclude we can't produce a quality product from garbage system. so true.. I congratulate author for hitting bull's eye. his root cause analysis is perfect and his solution is long term and sustainable. But it is so difficult to implement and can not be done overnight. But that doeen;t meant should be attempted. As far as Shahid Afridi is concernced, he is honest and fearless in airing his views. But now that he is a national hero, why not invest in some moral and behavioural training for him? The training can not broaden his views, but at least will expose him to those modern ideas which he unfortunately never confront to because of his poor societal background & ultra conservative upbrining. Becoming a national hero is a tough job. You are not only responsible for your family but for your society and nation. People look up to you as a role model and your actions are copied and your words are quoted. PEOPLE GAUGE YOUR NATION BASED ON YOUR QUOTES. Airing such destructive views by a national icon- however genuine it may be- is destructive for society. Anit social elements can take advantage of it and push forward their way of living. In other words, what social activists can achieve after much hard work can be vanished by one irresponsbile statement by national hero like Afridi in media. If afridi can't do anything else, he just shut up his mouth and keep doing what he is good at: cricket.

syed
Mar 15, 2014 09:06am

see... education really helps but its sad to see that despite him being all over the world, he still cannot figure out what to say when it comes a woman. banda kabhi dosron se bhi seekh laita hay magar who cares, will he marry his daughters in a home where they will cook only?? but they wont cause rich people have maids, a maid for cooking, a maid for cleaning and a main for raising their kids !!!

lets just narrow it all down to one point, we don't think much women, we created a society where women are down the food chain, they are baby factories, accommodate our desires and of course our own personal chefs, we will ask them to make money too while doing all this, aka the job.

on a different note,

we never passed anything worthy to protect them, how many rapes? how many acid attacks? and how many men to rot in jail for life? none !!! this the height of the hypocrisy of our system and us as well !! like it or not. a man is considered a man when he has respect, not power.

shame on those who think this is what a woman amounts to, shame on our system that is suppose to be protecting everyone regardless of their gender.

Muhammad Sajid
Mar 15, 2014 10:58am

If a woman thinks that she is much more needed somewhere else than in her own house with her kids, she is simply delusional. You can't expect a maid who is on a minimum wage to educate and raise a better kid for you. Women are the one who are going to give us a great future in form of well educated and well tuned kids....

Khan Badshah
Mar 15, 2014 01:43pm

Salam, I little disagree with the writer comments on Afridi.

Dr. Asad Sadick
Mar 15, 2014 01:46pm

What do you expect from our poor cricketers who have have had no grooming or international exposure before going on tours. Their level of education is poor and they are surely not to be blamed for it. We should not expect any meaningful feedback on issues at hand. The interviewer should have stuck to the cricketing qualities of our women team I think they are doing a great job Our men, however, have warped ideas about the role of women in our or in any society. Men, grow up. If women could grow beards our men would insist on having long bearded damsels.

Moin Anjum
Mar 15, 2014 02:52pm

Again, another article bashing someone who expressed his opinion?

Tahera
Mar 15, 2014 07:57pm

wonderful article! sooo true! how can we expect Shahid Afridi to have different views than the rest of society/population in Pakistan? After all, we musn´t forget that currently a substantial no. of people are praying that for his achievements Allah may ´bless´ Afridi with a son as he "only" has four daughters! It doesn´t get more misogynic than this! And this is society at large, what a shame!

Abhi
Mar 15, 2014 10:40pm

I think Afridi is rightly being criticized. You can expect this thought process from a villege elder but from a person who is a sprotsman and have got good international exposure you expect better judgement.

Nobody
Mar 17, 2014 07:55am

@Amin: Spoil the virtues of women? Seriously? How exactly? Granting women the same freedom as men to make their own choices will spoil their virtue? Does that not spoil the virtue of men? And HOW can you possible say most Pakistani women enjoy a happy family life???? Have you bothered to ask Pakistani women suffering abuse at the hands of their husbands that question? Or the ones who are essentially maids for their in-laws/husband and nothing more...? What an utterly naive comment.

Nobody
Mar 17, 2014 08:00am

@Sana: United States isn't reverting back to the sexism of a conservative society. They are more supportive of giving all women a choice to work inside the home or outside, but that doesn't the vast majority of women here don't work because they still do. Women here prefer not to be financially dependent on anyone else after a certain point. Allowing men to handle all the finances has not done Pakistani women any favors. Instead of being taken care of by these men they are instead at their mercy.