KABUL: Afghanistan on Tuesday sacked nine army officers for negligence after Taliban militants killed 21 soldiers and kidnapped several others in a raid on a border post near Pakistan.

A brigade commander and military intelligence chiefs were among those to lose their jobs, the defence ministry said in a statement, added that the officers could also face prosecution.

“The decision was taken by high council of defence after the army chief of staff briefed the council about the incident,” the ministry said.

Hundreds of militants stormed the outpost in the eastern province of Kunar on Sunday, triggering a four-hour battle that left 21 soldiers dead and five others missing.

The pre-dawn attack, which was claimed by the Taliban, was the deadliest strike on Afghan troops in recent months, as 55,000 Nato combat forces prepare to withdraw by the end of this year.

Afghanistan's army and police have taken over much of the responsibility for tackling the insurgency that erupted after the Taliban were toppled from power in 2001. But doubts remain about their ability to secure the country.

After the attack, President Hamid Karzai blamed Islamabad for failing to crack down on Taliban safe havens in Pakistan, where militant leaders seek sanctuary from Afghan and US military operations.

Afghanistan and Pakistan regularly accuse each other of supporting militant attacks in the other's country. Karzai's comments came days after Islamabad said 23 of its kidnapped paramilitary soldiers had been killed on Afghan soil.

More From This Section

India goes to polls in biggest voting day

Voters lined up in 121 constituencies across a dozen states in the largest single day of polling in the election.

Pakistani convicted of US terror charges sentenced to five years

Mohammad Hassan, convicted of US terror charges has been sentenced to five years for planning to kill a Swedish artist.

US, Pakistan see ties with India improving

US hopes for improvement in Indo-Pak trade ties after elections in India, which would increase bilateral trade to $10bn.

Bangladesh files contempt case against British reporter

The case was launched for allegedly criticising the war crime tribunal and questioning the death toll from the 1971 war.


Comments are closed.

Comments (1)

Bangal Tiger
February 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Its Karzai who need to be sacked!

Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets