24 September, 2014 / Ziqa'ad 28, 1435

JERUSALEM, Aug 14: Israeli and Palestinian negotiators met on Wednesday night in Jerusalem for a new round of direct peace talks after a three-year break, local media said, as pessimism ran deep on both sides.

Palestinian officials had earlier said that negotiators would meet in the prestigious King David hotel, but reports in Haaretz newspaper and on Israeli public radio did not name the location.

The meeting was being overshadowed by Israeli plans to build thousands of new homes for Jewish settlers on land which the Palestinians claim for their promised future state.

Israel freed 26 Palestinian prisoners on Wednesday but also pledged to keep up the pace of settlement building on occupied land.

Those released were the first batch of 104, most of whom had been serving life terms on charges of killing Israelis. They are to be freed in stages depending on progress in the talks.

But as Palestinians celebrated the releases, Housing Minister Uri Ariel cast a pall over proceedings. “We will build thousands of homes in the coming year in Judaea and Samaria,” Mr Ariel told public radio, using the Hebrew term for the West Bank. “No one dictates where we can build... This is just the first course,” he added, hinting at more building to come.

His remarks came as the negotiating teams readied for the talks, the result of marathon efforts by US Secretary of State John Kerry, who convened an initial meeting between the sides in Washington on July 30.

Although the prisoner release was welcomed by the Palestinians, it did little to placate their anger after Israel announced plans this week to push on with 2,129 new settler homes.

The last round of direct peace talks broke down just weeks after they were launched in September 2010 in a bitter row over settlements.

Commentators said the timing of the settlement announcements was aimed at appeasing hardliners in the right-wing coalition of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu but could also be seen as a quid pro quo for the prisoner release.

In a bid to defuse the crisis, Mr Kerry phoned Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas late on Tuesday, a senior Palestinian official said.

Both sides have committed themselves to give the talks at least nine months in which to reach an accord.

Israel’s chief negotiator, Tzipi Livni, will sit down with Palestinian counterpart Saeb Erakat for talks presided over by US special envoy Martin Indyk.

Top-selling daily Yediot Aharonot was deeply sceptical of the chances of success. “The issues that are at the core of the dispute are well known, as are Netanyahu’s and Abu Mazen’s positions,” its veteran commentator Simon Shiffer wrote, using Mr Abbas’s nickname.

“Neither of them has any intention of budging from them. That is why what will happen in the coming months will be a repetition of what was: a war of accusations and attempts to cast responsibility for the expected failure of the talks on the other side.”

Israel’s hawkish Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon was also less than optimistic.

“We set ourselves nine months in which to try and reach something with the Palestinians — we’ve been trying for 20 years since Oslo,” he said, referring to peace accords signed in September 1993.

“A note of scepticism might be detected in my words but we decided to give the negotiations a chance,” he said.—AFP


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)