Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

It’s not over for Younis Khan: Iqbal Qasim

April 02, 2013

Younis Khan has not scored a century since November 2008. -File photo by AFP

KARACHI: Chief selector, Iqbal Qasim, has said that Younis Khan had been dropped but not sidelined from the team after the veteran was omitted from Pakistan’s 30-man initial squad for the upcoming Champions Trophy.

“Putting an end to somebody’s career is not the mandate of the selection committee. Whoever performs is considered for selection and Younis Khan is no exception,” said Iqbal Qasim while talking to a private television channel. .

Younis was left out after his lackluster performance on the recently-concluded one day international series in South Africa.

“In view of the current form, Younis was not picked, but it doesn’t mean that he has been sidelined forever,” Qasim added.

The 35-year-old Younis managed just 116 runs in the series against South Africa earlier this month which Pakistan lost 3-2 and has not managed to score a century since November 2008.

Pakistan is in group B of the event to be held in England from June 3-23. The other teams in their group are arch-rivals India, the West Indies and South Africa.

Pakistan face the West Indies in their opening match on June 7 before clashing with South Africa (June 10) and arch-rivals India on June 15.

Qasim said that the initial squad announced was balanced, adding that the upcoming domestic tournament will help decide the final 15-man squad which is supposed to be announced in May.

“The domestic one-day tournament is a great opportunity for the players included in the initial list. It will make our [selection committee] job a little easier as well,” he said.