Krabbe reaches settlement

Published May 1, 2002

BERLIN, April 30: Former world champion Katrin Krabbe, banned for drug-taking in the early 1990s, has reached an out-of-court settlement with athletics’ ruling body to end a lengthy legal dispute.

The German’s lawyer Thomas Summerer said that settlement with the IAAF had been reached on April 19 and payment, which he declined to specify, had now been received.

“I am very satisfied,” Summerer said. “This is a case that writes sport history, it sets a precedent.

“As far as I could find out, it is the first time the IAAF paid a notable amount to settle a case.”

The IAAF confirmed in a statement that the dispute was over.

“The IAAF desires to put a definite end to the eight-year-long legal dispute with Katrin Krabbe,” the statement read.

“At its meeting on April 13-14, 2002, the IAAF council agreed the matter is finally closed.”—Reuters

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...