LAHORE, Dec 11: A local court on Monday ordered police to arrest the accused in a car accident in which a suckling was killed last month.
Additional district and sessions judge Syed Imam Ali issued the orders after cancelling the bail granted earlier to Faisal Farooq in the main case. The court also cancelled the bail granted to three co-accused in another related case.
In the second case, the main accused together with his two uncles — Maqsood Ahmad and Mahmood Ahmad — and manager Mohammad Shahbaz had allegedly thrashed some members of the victim family in a bid to force them to withdraw the charges.
The car crash had become talk of the town, especially due to extensive media coverage and an SMS campaign, requesting people to boycott products of a renowned city sweets outlets owned by Faisal Farooq. It became more controversial when a senior city police officer attempted to save the accused by ordering the police concerned not to take any action against him.
Waseem Sajjad along with his mother, wife and the suckling was going in his car when another car driven by the accused allegedly hit it in Defence Housing Society. The two-month-old baby girl, Aarijh, sustained serious injuries and died before getting any first aid.
“I have not committed any crime. It was just an accident,” said Faisal Farooq.
“I was driving at a normal speed. It was Sajjad’s car that suddenly appeared in front of me. The driver should have slowed down before coming on the main road.”
Mr Sajjad said he would welcome any decision taken by the court of law. He said he would like to see the accused behind the bars. So far, he added, the police had not arrested the accused.
Cantonment investigation SP Babar Bakht said the accused went missing when the court announced the verdict.
“We are conducting raids at all places where the accused possibly could be found. We will get him soon. We are bound to obey the court order.”
He said all evidence had gone against the accused. “Our investigation has established that it was a fault on the part of the accused that caused the accident. He was overspeeding.”
Earlier, Burhan Muazzam Malik and Malik Manzoor, defence and prosecution counsel, respectively, argued for about three hours in the court.
Investigator Faiz Rabbani said the case file would be completed after the arrest of the accused, which would be produced before the court for trial.
Dear visitor, the comments section is undergoing an overhaul and will return soon.