Lebanon says death toll from Israeli attack earlier in week has risen

Published May 21, 2026 Updated May 21, 2026 12:36pm

Lebanon’s Health Ministry said the death toll from what it described as the “Deir Qanoun en-Nahr massacre” has risen to 14 killed and three wounded, Al Jazeera reports.

Among those killed was a family of 11, including three children, their parents and grandparents.

Rescuers and residents gather at the site of an Israeli air strike in Beirut’s Tallet al-Khayyat area.—AFP/File
Rescuers and residents gather at the site of an Israeli air strike in Beirut’s Tallet al-Khayyat area.—AFP/File

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...