Chinese shipping giant Cosco has ordered ships in or bound for the Gulf to seek “safe waters”, as traffic in the vital waterway is impeded in the aftermath of US-Israeli strikes on Iran.

The state-owned, Shanghai-based firm is the latest of several major shipping groups to announce suspended operations since Iran’s Revolutionary Guards declared the Strait of Hormuz closed on Saturday.

“Vessels that have already entered the Gulf, after completing the operations where safe to do so, have been instructed to proceed to safe waters to hover or anchor,” Cosco Shipping Lines said in a statement Sunday.

Ships headed for the Gulf “have been notified to prioritise navigational safety, with measures including speed reduction, proceeding to safe waters, or awaiting further instructions at designated sheltered anchorages”, it said.

Cosco said it was “evaluating contingency plans” for all cargo on the affected vessels, “including potential alternative discharge ports”, the statement added.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...