Australian PM backs removing Prince Charles’ brother Andrew from line of royal succession

Published February 23, 2026
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor leaves Aylsham Police Station in a vehicle, on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office in Aylsham, Britain, February 19. —Reuters
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor leaves Aylsham Police Station in a vehicle, on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office in Aylsham, Britain, February 19. —Reuters

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he would back plans to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession to the British throne, according to a letter shared by UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s office.

Last week, a UK official said the British government was considering introducing legislation to ensure Mountbatten-Windsor, currently eighth-in-line to the throne, could never be king following his arrest as part of a police investigation into his ties with Jeffrey Epstein.

King Charles is not only the monarch and head of state in Britain, but also in Australia and 13 other countries.

In the letter, Albanese told Starmer that in light of the recent events, his government would agree to any proposal to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession.

“I agree with His Majesty that the law must now take its full course and there must be a full, fair and proper investigation,” his letter said. “These are grave allegations and Australians take them seriously.”

Last week, Mountbatten-Windsor was released from police custody after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Epstein.

Although Buckingham Palace was not informed in advance about the arrest, King Charles said in a statement that the authorities had the family’s “full and wholehearted support and cooperation”.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the monarch said in his statement. “Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...