ISLAMABAD: Officials of the Capital Development Authority (CDA) have been accused of allegedly “disappearing” around 240 plot files apparently to hide their ‘wrongdoing’, putting bona fide purchasers in serious trouble.
According to sources, the the civic bodyinitially allotted these plots against land compensation to various people, apparently on the basis of bogus compensation files. Later, these plots were sold in the open market.
Subsequently, in a bid to destroy evidence, the bogus files were allegedly removed from CDA records, leaving bona fide purchasers in distress, they said. When owners approached the the civic authority for further transfer, they were informed that no record of their plots was available. “If my plot was allotted on the basis of a bogus file or document, why did the CDA transfer it through its One Window Operation? I purchased this plot from a third party and trusted the CDA. But now, when I want to sell it, the CDA is not entertaining my request,” said one allottee.
Sources said the majority of such alleged bogus allotments were made between 2013 and 2023. A committee was formed a couple of years ago to look into the issue. So far, around 240 such ‘missing file’ cases have surfaced, of which the committee has traced 43 files. These will be placed before another committee to decide their fate.
Bona fide purchasers left in limbo as authority struggles to trace missing records
“Strict action should be taken against those involved in this big scam, but those who purchased plots from the open market after three to four transfers should be given a clean chit,” said an official. He added that every day, a number of such purchasers visit the the civic bodyfor the transfer of their plots, but to no avail, while several have filed cases in various courts against the authority.
Speaking to Dawn, CDA spokesperson Shahid Kiani acknowledged that a probe into the “missing files” was under way. When asked about the figure of 240 missing files, he neither denied nor confirmed it.
“CDA has constituted a special committee to address the issue of missing files related to plots. The committee is headed by the director security, with the deputy director land as its secretary, and includes members from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and the Intelligence Bureau (IB). Its primary task is to oversee the reconstruction of the missing records as well as fix responsibility for the missing files on officials as per record,” he said.
The spokesperson said currently, many inquiries against such officials are under way to fix responsibility.
“If any official is found responsible for negligence in the loss of these files, they will face strict legal action. The authority emphasises its commitment to resolving the issue as per law and ensuring full accountability of its officials,” he added.
It is relevant to note that there are two types of plots in CDA sectors. These include plots sold by the CDA through auctions, and plots allotted to affected persons that were later sold in the open market. The affected persons are those whose land was acquired by the the civic bodyand who were given plots in return.
Sources said that files of 240 plots initially allotted to affected persons were missing from the records of the land directorate. They claimed it appeared that either these files were bogus or contained irregularities.
The sources said that in 2023, the civic body management swung into action and initiated a probe into fraudulent allotments with the help of the FIA, focusing on plots allotted between 2017 and 2023.
Then CDA chairman retired Capt Anwarul Haq formed a seven-member committee headed by the director security, with members including the director land and representatives from the planning and law wings, the FIA and the IB.
A letter dated November 6, 2023, available with Dawn, stated, “This is to state that the Land and Rehabilitation Directorate is in receipt of multiple applications wherein applicants have contended that they are unable to transfer their properties because the original files of their properties are missing or lost and these files cannot be reconstructed as records of their allotment are missing.”
It further stated, “In such cases, inquiries are usually conducted through the security directorate of the CDA, which, however, do not bear any consequences, especially for the general public. Resultantly, the applicants/transferees run from pillar to post to get their right of transfer and have to suffer prima facie through no fault of their own. Recently, the secretary interior has also taken notice of such incidents and has desired that these issues be resolved to provide relief to the suffering applicants.”
Sources said the committee has yet to complete its probe despite the lapse of over two years.
However, it has transpired that around 240 files are missing, of which 43 have been traced.
Published in Dawn, February 5th, 2026






























