Seoul issues denial as North Korea claims new drone incursions

Published January 12, 2026
Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, arrives at the Vostochny Сosmodrome before a meeting of Russia’s President Vladimir Putin with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, in the far eastern Amur region, Russia on September 13, 2023. — Reuters/File
Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, arrives at the Vostochny Сosmodrome before a meeting of Russia’s President Vladimir Putin with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, in the far eastern Amur region, Russia on September 13, 2023. — Reuters/File

NORTH Korea stepped up pressure on South Korea over the weekend, claiming that South Korean drones had been flown over its territory — an allegation immediately denied by Seoul, which has been seeking a breakthrough in stalled inter-Korean dialogue.

The exchange followed Pyongyang’s claim on Saturday that South Korea had infringed on its sovereignty through drone incursions in September and again in the past week. South Korea’s Defence Ministry rejected the accusation, saying the drones in question were not models operated by the South Korean military.

On Sunday, Kim Yo-jong, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s sister and vice department director of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea, reiterated the accusation, stressing that Pyongyang views the alleged drone intrusion as a provocation regardless of political leadership in Seoul.

Kim described Seoul’s initial response as a “wise choice”, but made clear it did not alter North Korea’s assessment of the incident.

She said it was “irrelevant whether the act occurred under the Yoon administration or the current Lee government.” She also rejected Seoul’s argument that the drone may have been operated by civilians, saying the essence of the issue lay not in “who operated the drone but in the violation of North Korea’s airspace itself”.

Her remarks, also published in the Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the Workers’ Party, were followed by Cheong Wa Dae’s statement that the Seoul government once again confirms that it has no intention of provoking or irritating the North Korean side.

Cheong Wa Dae said a joint military-police investigation would be conducted in addition to the military’s initial probe and pledged to swiftly release the results.

Published in Dawn, January 12th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...